The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » If I'm going to get just one Impromptu DVD...? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Magic CPA
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Magic CPA
I would start with vol.1 of Jawdroppers. It contains a great selection of easy-to-do impromptu magic with coins, matches, spoons, rubberbands, etc. Once your skill improves, you can then progress to the Greg Wilson DVD's such as On-The-Spot.
Mike Webb
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Mike Webb
Tom Mullica's stuff is mostly bar tricks and gags.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 08:23, Mike Webb wrote:
Tom Mullica's stuff is mostly bar tricks and gags.

What's wrong with bar tricks?

The cigarette stuff is nice. I've seen the act, several times. I have to locate his lecture notes, sometime soon. It's in my library, somewhere.
valueduser
View Profile
New user
Batavia, ny
77 Posts

Profile of valueduser
I like icebreakers by Michael Ammar. It used to come bundled with Ultimate three card monte. I also really like Tom Mullica's impromptu tapes.
Rectify
View Profile
New user
Florida
55 Posts

Profile of Rectify
On The Spot. Gregory Wilson is a fantastic teacher and fun to learn from. Every trick he introduces is something that is practical to use in real situations, and as the title says, "on the spot"
rockmartian
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of rockmartian
On the spot was my first Magic dvd years ago. It has its challenging effects, but it also has plenty more basic effects for those who are beginning. I strongly suggest on the spot above all other titles.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
On the Spot and Off the Cuff from Gregory Wilson get my vote as well. As far as not teaching the sleights, most of good impromptu things like Yuppy Chow are kind of self-explanatory. There are lots of other performers who put material on DVDs with the assumption that you already know the basics - and that is perfectly fine unless the sleight is unique or has a different way of being done which deviates from the standard. I think they do that because there are more than enough ample resources out there from which to get the basic sleights.

Frank was right when he mentioned the Slydini 'As I Recall' DVD - there is a lot of great material there for all levels of skill. Also, the Tom Mullica vids are great too because there are some magicians out there who do more gags and jokes in a show that actual magic effects and everybody still has a great time! I agree with what Frank said about the "bean" trick - and I second the comments! I have never smoked but I have always been in awe of performers like Slydini and Mullica in relation to the work they do with cigarettes. There are some very cool effects in Greater Magic and the Tarbell books, among others, for cigarettes. As a close-up worker you can buy small dowel rods and cut them to cigarette size, and stain and buff them up or paint them like little magic wands and do the same effects.

Jawdroppers is also an excellent source. I still use a lot of things from that particular work.
dukun
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of dukun
Greg Wilson
Larry Anderson
Tom Mullica
Fooler Dooler
Jay Sankey..

I Have that All.. BUt

if I have to pick one..

I Can't..

Cheers
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
On The Spot by Gregory Wilson. It can't have enough votes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » If I'm going to get just one Impromptu DVD...? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL