The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Liability Insurance for Volunteer Accidents on stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Not many performers have insurance to cover a mishap on stage (ie. volunteer has a heart attack, his pacemaker shuts off,he develops a phobia of magicians (and/or guillotines), or his thumbs are severely injured in the thumbcuffs, etc.).

Therefore, either making a disclaimer during the show, prior to asking for volunteers, or pre-qualifying your volunteer's health is probably a good thing to do.

Any sugestions or web links to Insurance or Entertainment organizations that would help to cover the magician in the unlikely (but always possible) event up an on stage volunteer-related accident.

I believe Clowns Canada (or Clowns USA) might have once offered such coverage but I don't know if they still do and if it would really cover such situations..

Has anyone ever taken out such insurance?

If so, were you satified with the company's coverage?

On a related note, has any performer out there experienced (and survived) a bad volunteer-related accident on stage? How did you handle it and what were the consequences?
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Max,
You can get entertainment liability insurance from any broker. However, Hampton Mowrer and Krietz offers a group rate through the IBM. It is as low as $111 per YEAR for a $2 mil policy. That is so affordable that not getting it is just irresponsible, and you deserve to get sued if something goes awry.

Besides, many venues today require it before booking you. THey will not take the risk themselves. Even if you have to join IBM before you can get the rate it is worth it. The investment will be recouped in just one 1/2 hour show, right?

On another note. Why would you even do anything that would actually place volunteers at risk? THAT seems even more irresponsible and may not be covered by ANY policy.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Great suggestions BDC.

I will enquire with IBM, though I'm not sure that I can be coivered by their insurance policy since I live in Canada.

As far as actually placing a volunteer in at risk, I donb't. Meaning that my buzz saw illusion poses no real danger to the victim in the stockade. My concerns relates to having a volunteer up on stage that (unbeknownst to the performer) has a "weak" heart, epilepsy, phobia, etc. If something were to coincidentally (or non-coincidentlaly, ie. sudden fright or panic attack) happen as I began to "saw thru" his neck, will the performers insurance you suggest cover this?

Thse are questions that I suppose the insurance company will answer.

Again many thanks for your insights. Any further suggestions, thoughts, etc. ?

I realize that
Jonathan
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
Here in the UK you automaticaly get £5 milllion cover if you are a member of Equity.
In the States I think you can get cover through the IBM
Phillip
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Hi Phillip.

You are correct, IBM has group insurance, as pointed out by Big Cool Daddy. Unfortunatly, because I am living in Canada, I am told (by IBM's Insurer) that I cannot be covered in Canada.

IBM's insurer, Tim Goldsmith, referred me to a Mr. David Barr at Phoenix Eastern Agency, in Toronto 905-683-5559 ext 233.

I will also investigate if S.A.M. offers ssimilar coverage to Canadian performers.
Jonathan
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I get my full liability insurance through the S.A.M organization for all my shows and festival shows. This costs about 150 us dollars a year and gives me 1 million in total coverage. It is a must for the types of shows I put on and many festivals simply will not hire you if you do not carry proof of insurance.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The IBM policy is better than the SAM policy. If you read the fine print in the SAM policy, it is a group policy that pays a maximum of $1 Mil for the WHOLE GROUP.

However, it does fill the need for a policy just so you can get a show in the festivals that demand a policy.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I beleive that IBM provides up to 2 million dollars of coverage and that the premiums are in proportion to your earnings (ie. $111 per annum for performers who earn $25,000 or less, approx. $150 for those that earn in the next tier, etc.).

Would anyone have info on Liability coverage for Canadian performers performing in Canada?

Even though SAM coverage may not be as sufficienct as the IBM coverage, does SAM cover Canadians and shows in Canada?

Do other sources exist for Canadian group coverage?
Jonathan
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Here's a good rule of thumb when doing effects that "apparently" put audience volunteers at risk... do your pre-show homework. DO NOT USE A RANDOM VOLUNTEER. Pre-select your volunteer by doing some informal pre-show interviews. That way the volunteer is actually an official member of the cast and is definitely covered by your policy.

BUT, just an aside, do you really want to put a member of the audience in peril real or not? I mean think about this for just a minute... What do you expect your audience to really think about you when you apparently put one of them into a dangerous situation? It becomes impossible for them to love you. They may still like you, but they can never trust you enough to really love you! Oh sure, I know why you are using a volunteer, but it would not be difficult to re-vamp the routine to use your onstage assistant. It could even be as simple as actually using someone from the audience that actually has rehearsed the piece in advance. You get the both of worlds. A laymen assistant from the audience, but someone who is obviously in on the act and is prepared.
Just some food for thought...
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Very good food for thought Big Cool Daddy.

My Buzz saw thru neck routine was done in pure comedy (silent-comedy with music), near the end of my show, and only after building a strong, sympathetic and trusting rapport wiht my entire audience. I was gentle and curtious to the volunteer throughout their participation in this effect, yet had a bit of a mischievous streak that worked for me (and the audience, and the volunteer).

Frankly, I have put this particular routine "to sleep" partly due to the Mideast beheadings that were in the public's eye up until recently, and partly because I was concerned by not having liability insurance in the event that my willing volunteer had an underlying heart condition, unbeknownst to me, the host and possibly himself.

It's not that I really tried to scare the volunteer. I never did. But do I know that even for the bravest, most willing volunteer, there is always an inner glimmer of fear that goes through their head as the buzz sawe begins to whirr... and they think..."what if!!!"...and these days, even a "little" fear seems too much of an uncomfortable position to put my volunteers into these days . So, I've chosen to remove it from my show, and will reflect further on its implications.

Once again, many thanks for your food for thought. I like the idea of going through the routine with the volunteer before the show, to make him more comfortable with it. But as you know, this is often not possible under real show circumstances. Also, it would take away from some of the spontaneous, "fun" reactions of the volunteer, even the light-hearted reactions of "playing along".
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Liability Insurance for Volunteer Accidents on stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL