The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Make it real, keep it simple (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
I've noticed a lot of watch prediction effects on the market today, it looks like some are pretty good as I had a look see at the video clips offered on the websites. Something I noticed and can't understand is the fact that the performer removes his OWN wrist watch and holds on to it through out the entire routine. To me, that dosen't look fair, especially since the mentalist holds it the entire time... wouldn't it be better if he used an audience members watch and had them hold it the entire time ?

In my routine...I write the predicted time on a large slate, ask a person to remove their wrist watch, I touch it for 5 seconds to make sure the turn stem works and I hand it right back to him or her with the request to hold it face down and to keep turning the stem.

I ask a second person to call out stop at their will, this done, the 1st. person turns their watch over and calls the time aloud...I usually have the time correct to within 60 seconds of the called out time. (nope, no plants, I work alone)

So you see, this is why I can't understand why the performer must use his own watch and hold it the entire time. I picked up the method from one of my visits to Mrs.Dunninger back in the 80's and I've used it ever since (with her blessing). The move was from (if I recall properly) a handwritten manucsript called "warlock's watch", it was an old item from the 20's or 30's I believe.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Osterlind has a method that resembles this. In fact, it's really close to this. I read in syzygy that its an older principle that its built on. I wonder if Mr. O could help us on the specifics.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
That is almost exactly the effect on Mind Mysteries. I almost always borrow a watch to do this effect and I explain on the series how to do it with any kind of watch.

Richard
magicsavant
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
157 Posts

Profile of magicsavant
I must second everyone else here, using your own watch just doesn't have the same effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Make it real, keep it simple (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL