The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Riddle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2005-01-05 23:02, stanalger wrote:
Lee,
No need to appeal to Chomsky's authority.
You'll get no argument from me with regard to how rarely "Z" appears
in English text. I thought that perhaps "hardly forms our language" was
an awkward attempt at saying "rarely appears in our language." I have
no idea why this makes the letter Z "annoying."

But even given the unclear wording, I don't understand why you wrote:
"Z does not enter into the equation at all as far as being a common letter."
What equation?

What in the riddle suggests that we're looking for something common?
And why would you tell The Mighty Fool that "Z" wasn't correct and that
"period" was the answer? (Perhaps I'm not understanding your first post to
this thread.)

junkdz, are you still there?

Stan Alger
(hoping this post only appears once.)

The riddle states ""hardly forms our language" yet appears in over a third of our language, or words to that effect. The most common thing that appears in our writings, but not our spoken language is the punctuation mark the period. It ends approximately one-third of all sentences and fulfills the requirements of the riddle as I see it - and I guess the nice fellow who wrote the riddle was looking for that answer, as shown by his response that I got it right. Sorry of I was not clear in my communication on that.

"Enters into the equation" is a figure of speech in these parts, sorry for being obscure on that. Smile

My comments on the letter 'Z' were not aimed at you, specifically, but for those who supported the idea that Z was so common that it constituted a third of whatever the original quote said it was about. Smile My bad for not being clear. And, as an aside, I don't find the letter 'Z' annoying at all - but the Alcalde of Old Los Angeles did! Now there's an obscure reference - for the riddle types out there - why did the former Governor of Old Los Angeles find the letter 'Z' annoying? Smile

My adding the common letters to the mix was an attempt to give some folks some added ammo for future riddles, word games and the like. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I must have been having a bad brain day... ! Smile

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Huh?????????????????????????????????????????
On a scale of one to ten, the last post deserves a zorro.
I give up.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
On 2005-01-07 13:04, Lee Darrow wrote:
Quote:
. . . and I guess the nice fellow who wrote the riddle was looking for that answer, as shown by his response that I got it right.

Sorry, Lee, but the nice fellow who wrote the riddle was was junkdz; it was Wolflock that said you were right, and Wolflock admits that he "just guessed."

I think this one is still up for grabs, and for my money "Z" is the front-running response.

0pus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Riddle (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL