The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Advertising on Parties - the Acceptable v. the Obnoxious (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Now I think we've all been too nice to each other over Christmas so here's something we can all have a good argument about again!

There's this guy, who at the end of a party says to all the children: "now make sure you take one of my cards boys and girls, so your mums and dads can book me for your party".

Then at the other extreme there is this couple who just put a handful of glossy A5 leaflets on a chair or table where the parents can take one if they want one.

Some of you may find the former example obnoxious, overbearing and darn right rude. Or the latter example not sure enough, not taking advantage of the situation enough.

Any comments as to what is acceptable and what is not?

Tony. Smile
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Tony,

Aww, great question, my friend, and sure to bring a lot of interesting feedback. Before I post my thoughts, are we talking about any particular market or just any show or any market? Just wanted to clarify that a bit. Thanks.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I remember a friend who did a lot of street performing (busking) in areas that families would frequent. At the end of his routine he would always say, "Now remember kids, if your mommy or daddy doesn't give you some money to put into the nice man's hat, it means they don't love you!" It always got a laugh and no doubt some extra cash.

Why not advertise? Some might feel that if a child present at the party/show wanted you to work at their party, then they would have their parents contact the parent that hired you for the information. OK, fine, passive way to find work. But, if you already advertise, then why not include it in the act? Do not some performers already hand out give aways with their web site or phone number on it?

OK, I've rambled long enough, but I think if it is done without being rude, then why not do it using any creative or humorous way you might think of? That's my opinion until somebody changes it. Smile

Rob
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Let me dive into this one a bit based upon certain markets. If I am doing a birthday party, I would never tell the kids to take my card and give to mom and dad and have me at your party. First off, the kid could care less about a business card and you know it will never reach the hand of the parent anyways. In a birthday situation I find there are much better ways to get your information out there.

I like to give the kids something they enjoy and will want to keep. This can be in the form of my coloring flyer of my magicians assistant certificate. Each kid gets both and it has my contact information on them. Now this is something a child will want to have, will hold on to and will want to show mom and dad when they get there.

If I want to reach the parents and adults, I do that through my thank you kit I give to the client. Inside has a thank you letter that describes my referral incentive program as well as an evaluation sheet and a few business cards. I also give the client a business card magnet. This is a great way for the client to have cards and want to give them out to other parents who may be interested. I have found this system works quite well for me for birthday parties.

If I am working a festival or a larger event, I will set up my information table near the performance area or stage. This is a small table that sets up and has an easel behind it with my poster and type at the bottom that reads, "please take one and find out how we can work magic for your next event." On the table I have holders for my business cards, tri-fold brochures as well as my flyers. This becomes the central information area for people to stop by and pick up my information at their leisure. At these bigger events, I do mention my information table at the end of my performance in case anyone is interested in obtaining more information.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Rule No. 1, Always ensure all, or as many kids as possible, go home with your details. I ask the birthday mum to put postcards in the party bags, they have a magic trick on one side, and my details on the other. At other gigs I'll just ask the kids when I've finished, "Who wants a magic trick" and just give them out.

Sometimes I'll teach them a song, but only if time allows and the parents have arrived and are at the back waiting to take the kids home.

MUM AND DAD, MUM AND DAD, AT MY PARTY I WANT EMAZDAD.

I tell them they must sing it over and over and over again on the way home. If they do one of two things will happen:

1, mum/dad will look me up in yellow pages and phone me to book me for your party.
Or 2, mum/dad will look me up in yellow pages, find out where I live and when I wake up tomorrow morning all the tyres on my car will have been let down. this not only gets a laugh, but it tells the parents where they can find my number.

I think the important thing is not so much that you are advertising, but that you ask first.

<<<First off, the kid could care less about a business card and you know it will never reach the hand of the parent anyways.>>>

But if you're good and they are impressed they will find your number themselves, starting with asking the booker and working round to the Yellow Pages. To ensure this happens make sure you name is prominent on your box, and use you name a couple of times in your sign off to help stick it in their minds..
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Clive:
Right. The kid will not give the business card to the parent, but a parent who is impressed by your show or performance can easily do several things:

1) get a card from the client
2) find me in the yellow pages
3) find my number easily on the coloring flyer or certificate I give each kid to take home with them

I give them as many opportunities to have my contact information and to use it.

Clive also brings up another great point. I have my logo laminated, and it is Velcroed to my table at every performance I do. This way every single photo that anyone takes has my name in it. It also keeps my name fresh in their minds from the minute I get to the event.

Because my wife does the shows with me, I have the luxury of also having my wife take digital shots during the show. These we share with the client when we get home by e-mailing the images of the great party to them and asking them to share it with others at the party that they feel might enjoy them. This ensures that not only my image, but my name gets passed around a lot more and the client appreciates the effort I took in doing that for them.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

AlmostAmazingJames
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of AlmostAmazingJames
I think Dave Dee on his video is too much.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Cheshire Cat,

Here's what I usually do: At the end of each party I give the children a coloring picture of a caricature of myself with my contact info at the bottom. This usually ends up on a parents fridge and I've had nothing but success in this type of promotion. The business cards I only hand out to parents that ask for them. I never ever say anything to the children about having their parents call me for their birthday parties in the future.

At festivals or corporate functions I hand out the coloring sheets to the children and again business cards only to adults if they have asked for one. The person whom hired me receives several of my cards in my Thank You letter for future reference and in case anyone at the company ask for my contact info. The coloring sheets for the kids work great as thousands can be printed for a mere pittance and so far it's been the best bang for my buck.

I hand them out personally to the kids as I'm saying goodbye to them .This way the parents at the party make sure the kids go home with the balloons and coloring pic I've given them.

The only time I lay them at the end of a table myself is if it's huge corporate event with several hundred children and can't hand them out personally to all.

I think promoting myself to the kids this way is okay, but I wouldn't tell the children their parents should have me over on their birthdays. This puts parents in a very difficult situation if financially they can't afford it.

I realize that I don't do an aggressive type of advertising but am at that point where there is one of "me" and only so many shows I can do. I haven't advertised in any way but this method for the past 10 years and still do a couple hundred shows a year. I even was nominated for Entrepreneur of the Year, by the business community ,twice, so something is obviously working for me. Still, saying that I may have relied on other methods at the beginning of my career but at this moment in time - this is what works for me.

Chrystal
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<I think Dave Dee on his video is too much>>>>>

Who is this Dave dee, and what does he do that's too much?
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
My business cards are the very best quailty with a full colour glossy picture on one side of me and Dusty Rabbit. My business details are on the other side. I used to give them out at every party. I used to give the children a card saying 'here's a picture of Dusty Rabbit for you' that way they'll keep it. Which means the parents have your details too.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Well I also use the coloring sheet to great success and have to disagree with some of you. at the end of my show I tell all the kids they are going to get a coloring sheet but its a magic coloring sheet this is how the magic works, take it home color me in and hang me on the fridge, here comes the magic part go get your mom or your dad and show them your picture, then ask them to bend down give them a kiss on the cheek tell them you love them and then tell them you would really like Greg the magician to come to your b-day party and just like magic I'll be there!
this is all done tongue in cheek and it gets a great laugh from the parents........but it is highly effective! I have doubled my business since I started doing this and have not had any complaints.
I usually have one or 2 kids come up after the show saying they forgot what they were gonna tell there parents so I could come to there party!
I got feed back after I started doing this and the number one thing people said was that until I mentioned it they didn't even know I did b-day parties....are you letting the parents know you do b-days or schools etc. don't assume that they know this!
if they see you at a corporate xmas party for example they may thing you only do that type of venue and wont even bother trying to look you up....you must some how mention it!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I have a picture of my rabbit to colour in with my details on, I don't think its extreme giving them out at the end.

A nice gag to ue when lots of adults are present

'Tell your Mummy and Daddy Magic Matt said, if I colour my picture in beautifully, and I put it under the pillow in the morning it will turn into a 50p!'

Matt
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Dave Dee is a guy who sells marketing materials ... IMO, he's in business to sell products rather than solid information. He has a pitifully embarassing birthday party show that he put out. Granted, he wasn't selling the show so much as he was selling his "marketing" within the show, so maybe it's unfair to put undue focus on the dreadful performance. The marketing boiled down to having materials with contact info distributed to all the kids (as discussed here) and a blatant pitch to basically hound and beg their parents to invite him to their birthday party.

Admittedly, I have little shame when it comes to looking foolish on stage, but even I wouldn't do what he does when it comes to imploring kids to have him at their party.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2005-01-02 17:46, Cheshire Cat wrote:
There's this guy, who at the end of a party says to all the children: "now make sure you take one of my cards boys and girls, so your mums and dads can book me for your party".

I really do the above that you have mentioned, but in a funny way.

When I finish a trick, a balloon, or anything for the birthday child, there will be a kid who wants raises his hand and say, "I want the balloon","do the trick", etc.

My reply was, "Sure, I will! Call me when your birthday is coming" It gets a big laugh from parents.

What I have achieve here is:
1) I get the kid interested to tell their parents about me
2) I indirectly tell the parents that I can be booked by them
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
First of all let me tell you the guy with the cards does exist! In fact he may be known to one or two members here.

We tend to have a more laid back attitude, but I have to admit that if work became thin on the ground I'd probably lay it on more at parties.

Today (Monday) - my lunchtime party. Well, we've probably done nearly every birthday in the group to begin with, - so very little to work on apart from keeping up the standard. It was so nice to be called "awesome" by a group of six year old lads (where on earth they have got this word from I don't know, but it was still nice to hear it!!)

Afternoon party - five year olds. Again, have seen them before, but not a lot. I gathered that many of them are 4 going on 5 so obviously "ripe for the picking" as such. Just left about 20 glossy white A5 leaflets in the Church Hall foyer. When I left at 5.20 p.m. only one left!

I notice lots of other entertainers, especially clowns, have colouring sheets.

I suppose a lot depends on what stage you are at in your business. We tend to be on the side of discretion ourselves, although of course, there are some extremely tacky salemen (and women) out there trading as entertainers.

Tony.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
See, I let people know I do birthday parties etc. just through the use of my patter during the show. I can simply say..."At my last b-day party.. you would not beleive what this little boy said. he wanted me to change the hankercheif into Turqiouse color. I don't even know how to spell it." Something along those lines is an easy way to let them know you do other events without it coming across as such a hard sell to them. Just an idea.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Advertising on Parties - the Acceptable v. the Obnoxious (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL