The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Polishing Silver Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
My father is a coin collector, and says that it is almost voodoo to clean a coin. When they come off the mint, cleaning them can remove protective layers. Of course, this is t keep their value, as some coins he handles are only to be touched with a white glove! However, Silver cleaning compounds manufactured specifically for silver are the way to go if you must clean them. If you're only worried about keeping the shine, as (obviously magicians are) then silver compound, or baking soda mixed with a little water, (for those tarnished stains), toothpaste (use a soft bristle toothbrush for those hard to get surfaces), or cut a lemon in half and pour salt on it, the scrub the coin with the lemon. The lemon juices provide a softer acid than vinegar combined with the slight abrasiveness of salt (partially broken down by the lemon juice) can shine your coins. Also, silver jewlery cleaner.

My father says cleaning coins is taboo, but using them for magic is going to wear and scratch them anyway. These are the safest methods he gave me, (i'm on the phone now with him). Now to get him to sell me some cheap Morgans!!!
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2005-01-03 22:32, tabman wrote:
Cigar ashes for a fine powder polish. Use a damp cloth. Don't use your fingers though it's tempting. Cigarette ashes work too but not as fine as cigar ash. Try it. I learned it from my granddad. You will be amazed.

-=tabman

I've used ashes for years for both silver and copper, it's the best.
Typically though I prefer not to polish my silver coins, as I like the patina that silver gets, and it helps my coin handling, the coins "cling" a bit better and are much easier to work with. I sometimes have to polish copper coins, because they don't always tarnish uniformly, and there can be noticable differences in the appearance of coins and gaffs, so I occasionally polish them to get a "fresh start"
Oh and as Tabman said use a damp cloth, not your fingers, if for no other reason than your fingers will stink like an ashtray.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
gene plampin
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of gene plampin
I've also had good success with the jewelry dip at WalMart.

Gene
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
This topic seems to haunt us.

1) What condition are the coins in now? Dirty, pitted, rough surfaces...?

2) What do you want when you are done? Mirrors? Mirror finish to flat surfaces?

If they are dirty from use, try soap and water or better yet, pure alcohol to remove the dirt and oil.

If you want to change the surface of the coin... then you are looking at using a polish.

Anybody got a buffing wheel?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
[quote]On 2005-01-03 11:49, W.F. Lewis wrote:
Hello folks,
Just interested in what everyone thinks is the safest and most effective polish for your Morgans and your silver halves.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Willie Lewis

DON'T DO IT!!!!

unless...

you want to

ruin the value of the coin!

Once you wash/shine/polish or what ever, you kill the value of the coin.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Hey guys, no need for the concoctions- There are polish cloths available for two or three bucks - Jewelers kinda keep them secret cuz they almost do as nice of a job as a polishing lathe (buffing wheel).If anyone has trouble finding them pm me .The ones that I find to work best are two cloths sewn together - one white and one blue . White is full of polishing compound - the blue is used second to remove any residue- They work fantastically - don't use the old rouge cloths as they are too messy- red stuff every where.
Use the cloths- unless you enjoy slathering some witches brew all over your coins.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
Try using a rock tumbler to polish your coins. Use a very fine grit, and man they get shiny! I’ve heard of using hard large fish tank gravel, but that seems to big. I want to give the large gravel a try though. Good luck…
Magically,
Roman
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
This is what you want chaps - http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/produ......curr=usd

It used to be called Duraglit but is now Silvo. Brasso is also available for copper.
T_C_Magic
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of T_C_Magic
I tried the toothpaste with a toothbrush and it works great. My coins look like new.
THANKS!!!!!!
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Since this thread came back from the dead, I had to browse through it. I don't think I missed it, but hard to believe Tarn-X was never mentioned. Being a child of the 70's, they played a commercial for it 20 times a day! I always just wanted to dip a brown silver spoon in a bowl of it and change it back to gleaming silver INSTANTLY! Smile BUT...no silver spoons in our house and therefore...no Tarn-X!

When I was finally able to afford uncirculated silver coins and gaffs i.e. '21 Morgans and '64 Kennedys etc., I couldn't WAIT to use it! HA! (insert geek jokes here) Of course, my Walking and Seated Libertys and other nicely aged coins will NEVER see anything buy my palms and fingers (and JOLs).

No "polished" coin will ever look like "new". It will look much more like a clad coin IMHO. That look is undesirable to me (but to each his own). Real silver coins in an uncir state look almost like anodized aluminum. However, they will and DO tarnish.

The moral to my story is this: If you want that "Mint fresh" look without the polished mirror look (which...as an experiment with a beat up Kennedy I tried ...found tarnishes much faster), try some Tarn-X. IT ROCKS!

Disclaimer: READ THE DIRECTIONS.

TIP: Keep it off any Teflon. Smile

Happy Cleaning,
Christian
alibaba
View Profile
Loyal user
Hawaii
280 Posts

Profile of alibaba
Quote:
On 2007-04-26 08:15, DStachowiak wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-01-03 22:32, tabman wrote:
Cigar ashes for a fine powder polish. Use a damp cloth. Don't use your fingers though it's tempting. Cigarette ashes work too but not as fine as cigar ash. Try it. I learned it from my granddad. You will be amazed.

-=tabman

I've used ashes for years for both silver and copper, it's the best.
Typically though I prefer not to polish my silver coins, as I like the patina that silver gets, and it helps my coin handling, the coins "cling" a bit better and are much easier to work with. I sometimes have to polish copper coins, because they don't always tarnish uniformly, and there can be noticable differences in the appearance of coins and gaffs, so I occasionally polish them to get a "fresh start"
Oh and as Tabman said use a damp cloth, not your fingers, if for no other reason than your fingers will stink like an ashtray.

Where do you get ashes in this non-smoking era? Do they sell them on the internet?
I'm as real as you think I am
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Alibaba,

PM me. I'll make you a really good deal on some ashes!
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
My silver coins are in this black bag treated with some tarnish retardant and it seems to work so far. Sorry I have no reference where I bought them, but it was online and seems to be a common item. I never use my proof coins, those are the ones with a mirror finish.

Yea!! a thread that proves I am not the only person that appreciate shiny coins. Thanks for bringing it back.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
The toothpaste tip is terrific! Works like a charm, without over polishing.
cdmdu
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of cdmdu
If you are sure that your coins are definitely ruined by anything, you can use cillit bang:http://cillitbang.co.uk/index.shtml
Just have rubber-gloves and say "F..K" to the nature.
Really good result, indeed! I use it for my copper cups and coins and it looks like a miracle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Polishing Silver Coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL