The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Hey, does that mean Derren is the Anti-Uri?
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
Yes. Pure evil on a stick.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
HypnoChris
View Profile
New user
London, England
16 Posts

Profile of HypnoChris
The point of Derren's show was to put society's beliefs under scrutiny, right?
So - the whole Geller thing is something the public have been conned about. Many "believed" in that! They were lied to. I was simpply pointing out how refreshing it is to have Derren Brown do these demonstrations (far better) and tell us what they are (illusions) rather than trying to sell us the psychic-beloney. THAT WAS THE THEME OF THE SHOW!!!! OUR BELIEFS!!!!!!!!!!
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Quote:
They were lied to.

Who says? and more importantly, who cares? Anyone that cares about what Gellar may or may not have done 20 years ago must have a very shallow and empty life, imho.

I can't help feeling that the whole show was pretty pointless though, except for the fact that I enjoyed it, well for 30 minutes before it got repetitive.

Unless the point was to show us how gullible and foolish the people that Derren spoke to were?
Or as Drew alluded, to stimulate more bickering on places such as this between open-minded people and skeptical fanatics.

It's not as if the programme will actually make a difference to anybodys life and change their beliefs. Lastly, I thought it could have been more balanced. I would have liked to see some more mainstream religions being his target and the only christian faith illustrated was one of the ones that we brits already think is abit...shall we say, "out there"?

A "deeper" programme on the subject would have been very welcome.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I take salt and put it in a TT.
It vanishes (I say vanish because I can't spel disapeers)
I now claim that the people who are amazed are gullible and foolish.
I show them the TT.
They aren't gullible or foolish anymore.
They're like me. We're clever together.
But the others who haven't seen the TT... they are sooooo gullible and foolish, aren't they?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
HypnoChris
View Profile
New user
London, England
16 Posts

Profile of HypnoChris
Quote:
Anyone that cares about what Gellar may or may not have done 20 years ago must have a very shallow and empty life, imho.

Instead of just reading the word "Geller" and going into an automatic response, perhaps you should offer the forum the courtesy of attempting to "get" the point before responding to it. I didn't mention what he did 20 years ago - you mentioned did.

It is tedious to have to explain again, but clearly necessary in your case:

The point of Derren's Messiah programme was to put society's beliefs under scrutiny, through apparantly miraculous demonstrations which - to the "experts" and public participants - were placed in the frame of being either psychic phenomena or spiritual. At the same time, we, the viewers, were being told that he was deliberately deceiving them, but at the same time, pulling off some absolutely stunning demonstrations. I made the point that Geller had (still has?) achieved the same thing: he has convinced a lot of people that he has psychic ability because of his impressive demonstrations.

My concluding point was to say HOW REFRESHING IT IS THAT DERREN BROWN CAN BE SO OUTSTANDING IN HIS DEMONSTRATIONS OF APPARANT PSYCHIC / SPIRITUAL PHENOMENA as he was on this show - and at the same time, be honest with the viewer about the fact that he is not a psychic, but an illusionist.

To say I have a "very shallow and empty life" because I have an opinion is, ironically, somewhat shallow, wouldn't you say?

Quote:
I can't help feeling that the whole show was pretty pointless though

Oh dear. Give me strength. Pointless? Are you serious?
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
[quote]On 2005-01-07 21:16, HypnoChris wrote:

"The point of Derren's Messiah programme was to put society's beliefs under scrutiny",

AND

"HOW REFRESHING IT IS THAT DERREN BROWN CAN BE SO OUTSTANDING IN HIS DEMONSTRATIONS OF APPARANT PSYCHIC / SPIRITUAL PHENOMENA as he was on this show - and at the same time, be honest with the viewer about the fact that he is not a psychic, but an illusionist".

The point of the programme was to construct a commercial piece of television which is entertaining.
And you really musn't go through your life thinking that DB wants to be honest with the viewer. Both DB and Geller are fantasic showmen. (and possibly lovers)
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Dude, when geller done a spoon I got several spoons and had a go at being geller. I done it at 12 years old and have conned ppl ever since.
Geller is all about marketing, nuff said!
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
HypnoChris
View Profile
New user
London, England
16 Posts

Profile of HypnoChris
Quote:
On 2005-01-07 21:49, Partizan wrote:
Dude, when geller done a spoon I got several spoons and had a go at being geller. I done it at 12 years old and have conned ppl ever since.
Geller is all about marketing, nuff said!

I couldn't agree with you more. Uri Geller is a conman.

Quote:
The point of the programme was to construct a commercial piece of television which is entertaining.

That's what ALL television is about. Having worked in television for years, I know that even the news (I've worked in the BBC TV newsroom) is constructed to be a piece of television which is entertaining. At the highest level, of course. But TV programmes can also be designed to be thought-provoking, informative and interesting as well as just "entertaining". So can books, movies etc. But they're also commercial. So to dismiss the programme as just having one purpose: "to construct a commercial piece of television which is entertaining" is silly.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more. Uri Geller is a conman.

That is mug/lay/sucker talk
In 'Mentalist talk', he is the world's most successful Mentalist
Whether you like him or not is a different matter LOL
Cheers
TJ

Quote:
On 2005-01-07 19:00, redhot wrote:
. For example how did he make a man fall to the ground without touching him? is this in print anywhere or on video?

This bit of dumb crambo dictated the level of the whole show
We may as well have watched Matrix (the movie) and now be arguing about it being
reality
I saw one of the 'members' of the Christian Church in the Rover's Return (bar) in Corrie (TV soap) the other night
LOL
TJ
pointStack
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of pointStack
Re earlier comment that Uri Geller is a conman. Uri is a master showman and had the world in the palm of his hand for years with clever psychology and superb management of the media. We can do nothing but learn from him instead of pointless ridicule.
HypnoChris
View Profile
New user
London, England
16 Posts

Profile of HypnoChris
Quote:
On 2005-01-08 05:35, pointStack wrote:
Re earlier comment that Uri Geller is a conman. Uri is a master showman and had the world in the palm of his hand for years with clever psychology and superb management of the media. We can do nothing but learn from him instead of pointless ridicule.

It's tiresome! READ MY POINT before commenting. I am not going to repeat it again. My point about Geller was not so much about Geller as it was a comment about Derren Brown's Messiah programme, and observations I was making that were relevant. There is no pointless ridicule.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL