The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Customizing trick with restaurant logo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pete W.
View Profile
New user
Coffeyville, KS
80 Posts

Profile of Pete W.
I am looking for effects where you have worked in the routine the name of the restaurant (it goes over big with the owner)

I currently had "out to lunch" modified to be the name of the restaurant I work. (I had rubber stamps made of each picture of hindu boy & rope, and stamped them on back of business cards)
I never really cared a whole lot for the original, but changed to restaurant name and has become a hit with my table-hopping.

I mainly do card effects....am fairly skilled at sleights. Any ideas? Any of you others doing such a thing?
"Amatuers perform different tricks for the same people. Professionals perform the same tricks for different people."...Al Goshman
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Well, using some of the templates for business cards in MSWord (for the Mac, of course!), I've done Out To Lunch and, by using bias cut stock, Telecolor Cards using the restaurant's hame on them, printed so that one can't tell which way the card is turned (so you have to use the original method. People burn the printing on those cards badly, taking the heat off the real method.

I've done the paddle trick with logo-printed swizzle sticks and with pencils with the company name on them and even used the ungimmicked business cards for an impromptu printing deal using the paddle move.

Just some ideas that I've usd in the past.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Ah Lee. A paddle effect was my first thought too.

Pencil (w/name-logo) thru Coin - using pennies or nickels if you know this preparation and method..

Custom wooden nickels, plastic tokens are available online.
You could do a swizzel or toothpick thru these using the above method.

Custom playing cards are an expensive idea but are also online. Maybe order some blanks both sides, blank faces, blank backs along with a deck with a logo on back and do a magic printing effects among other things.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Perform The Whole Thing by Larry West, glue the restaurant's business card to the back of the final card, and conclude the effect by saying, "You know the best spot it town?" and turn over the final card revealing the establishment's business card. It's not my idea by the way, it's Larry West's (I believe it's unpublished) and it's brilliant.

Larry Davidson
Ben G
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Ben G
You could use the Menu too.
Pretend to write something on the back of the restaurant's business card, then ask a spectator to take the menu and pick their best meal.
Then hand the card, it has now the name of the meal at the back of the card... like this they won't forget what to order next time...
Of course you use a TP writer...

You can also use the menu has a kind of book test, if you have numbers associated with the dishes. Force a number and give the prediction you made on the business card...
Ben G
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Using my marketed Mirror Monte, you show the hustler winning, then the sucker losing, then all three cards different, one being a mirror, with the comment"When the hustler always wins, and you always lose, the game is probably done with mirrors."
A minor change in the cards and patter and you can finish with, "The hustler is a winner and you may be a loser in this game, but at (name of restaurant), you're always a winner."
I've done this for table hopping, for hospitality suites (with a political candidate), etc.
It works well. And it's remembered.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I recommend Gertner's unshuffled. Replace the word unshuffled with the name of the restaurant. "I'll give the deck the Mom's Pizza shuffle." The deck then spells Mom's pizza.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Paul Green's "Pygmy Paddle" offers an excellent opportunity for customization.

It's a clever paddle trick where you can write the name of the establishment on the other side. I've played around with using clear computer address labels and they work very nicely.

How good is this trick?

1) It's technically easy. Only sleight is the paddle move.
2) Paul has terrific patter which can be customized to your venue.
3) Maximum audience participation.
4) It is surprising and often amazing magic.
5) It's funny.
6) It packs small and plays big.
7) It's not a card trick.
8) You leave them with a give away item that has the venue or client logo.

I have found this to be a terrific "ice breaker" and a great way to size up your audience. You can PM him here on the Café to purchase his lecture notes. He can even sell you the perefect paddles for this. All very reasonably priced.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
dawoo
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
8 Posts

Profile of dawoo
Scotty York's "Come to Casey's" is the trick he saves to do when the owner is in the house.
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
247 Posts

Profile of gocall911
We have a restaurant called "The Bear Paw Café" in my town and one day I came up with a neat little spin on a effect that made it perfect for this restaurant. All I did was do my best to trace a bear paw print onto the back of a card with a sharpe from there it was just a take on red hot mama but with a slightly different ending as you can see. The patter ideas are endless for something like that.

Maybe you can think of a way to put the name (or something related to the name) into a effect of this type.
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Put a logo sticker on the Sidewalk Shuffle cards instead of the "X"
Posted: Jan 10, 2005 1:40pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get decks of cards printed with the logo for the back design.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete W.
View Profile
New user
Coffeyville, KS
80 Posts

Profile of Pete W.
Great ideas from my fellow magi....Neat to read all the variations.
Thanks so much.
"Amatuers perform different tricks for the same people. Professionals perform the same tricks for different people."...Al Goshman
Steve Dusheck
View Profile
New user
Hazleton, PA
46 Posts

Profile of Steve Dusheck
Magicbypete,
I have a manuscript that may be just what you are looking for. Send me a PM if you want the details.
Steve
Steve Dusheck
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
I think pepka's idea was great! I'm going to try that!

Ben
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Thanks Ben, but it's straight from Gertner. He did unshuffled on the Tonight Show for Johnny, and it used the "Tonight Show Shuffle." I told him what I do and he related a story where he was at the airport and saw Steeler's player Jerome Bettis, AKA the bus. He ran to the mensroom and make up a quick deck with his name on it and it killed.
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
I would do something like sideswiped twith the logo above the instructions.

Ben
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Customizing trick with restaurant logo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL