The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The DaVinci Code - Dan Brown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2005-12-27 02:07, Candini wrote:
From Collin Hansen:

"Though unoriginal in its allegations, The Da Vinci Code proves that some misguided theories never entirely fade away. They just reappear periodically in a different disguise. Brown's claims resemble those of Arius and his numerous heirs throughout history, who have contradicted the united testimony of the apostles and the early church they built. Those witnesses have always attested that Jesus Christ was and remains God himself. It didn't take an ancient council to make this true. And the pseudohistorical claims of a modern novel can't make it false."

Just remembering the keyword "fiction."

Arius' teachings were probably closer to the original Christian beliefs than to what has been filtered through the Church's attempts to make Christianity palatable to the Romans and then bequeathed to us today. "The united testimony of the apostles and the early church they built" probably contains more fiction in that short phrase than in the entire novel under discussion.

Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Organized religion is cereal box philosophy.
You want a holy trinity ? Try Snap, Crackle, and Pop ! Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Everyone has their own beliefs or nonbeliefs.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-12-28 03:37, Candini wrote:
Everyone has their own beliefs or nonbeliefs.

One man's nonbeliefs are another man's beliefs. To believe there is no God is not a nonbelief
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
Belief is in the mind of the beholder.
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
When atheist Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller) was asked to state his beliefs (that is, to make a positive statement of belief, not of non-belief), he responded with his positive belief that there is no God. This was his clever way of making a positive state about not believing something.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Someone once said "Religion is manmade but I still believe in God."

It may have been Adam to Eve but I cannot find a source.
Jack Riggs
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Jack Riggs
The Dan Brown book was a work of fiction. A fantastic engaging story, or why would there be tours based on the book in Europe?

as a historical work it is at best a joke, and at worst a lie. The priory of Scion never existed until the late 50s period. It was made up plain and simple so the book is historically silly, and completly wrong.

but it was fun. I don't read Robert Ludlum to try to get a correct grasp of forign affairs, why read Dan Brown for a history lesson? let alone a religious one
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
It may not be historically correct but it sure stirred up the pot.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Umberto Eco rocks... Dan Brown just new how to make commercial for the mass market....

I got to admit I hated and loved the books at the same time - (A&D and DVC) - written like pulp... but I like pulp... I would groan with "Little did he know this information would save his life later..."... but the ideas were too cool to put the book down.

In case I missed it in the thread - Perez-Reverte is also a great writer who I would palce between Eco and Brown - like the Club Dumas and the Flanders' Panel - very cool stuff to think about for Bizarre stuff (well, Club Dumas was filmed as the not so great "Ninth Gate"...man, it could have been so good)....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The DaVinci Code - Dan Brown (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL