The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spectators opening envelopes to spell a word... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hemisphere
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
39 Posts

Profile of hemisphere
I'm looking for routines or effects in mentalism/magic literature for this type of effect: The mentalist has (for instance) 6 large envelopes (stage size...perhaps 8 1/2 X 11). Six audience members, standing in a row on stage, each have a free choice (?) of any of the six envelopes. Upon opening them, they remove a large letter of the alphbet. Once revealed, the letters correctly spell a word in order. The details could vary...the main effect I'm looking for is the random assemblage of large letters by audience members to spell a word.

Is there a standard name for this type of effect?
Are there any sources you recommend for this effect?
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Erm if you have a look in 13 Steps there is an effect called Corinders Incredible Slate Test the apparatus is eas enough to make though apparently they can still be bought though under a different name. The effect itself is a little varied from what you mentioned though it is pretty direct and does worked. I recently performed a similiar version for some close friends who, having seen shed loads of stuff from me are rarely impressed but this slayed them.

The effect is worth looking into and could be adapted to suit your needs. I am also before all the other guys automaticaly suggest it mention equivoque. Personaly though I would stay away from it for this particular effect.
One day I will write a book
hemisphere
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
39 Posts

Profile of hemisphere
Thanks Jordan. You nailed the two methods I've considered seriously. The Incredible Slate test (plus some of the subtleties from Maven's Khan Artist) would certainly work without any risk. Equivoque will also work, though may be somewhat unwieldly with large numbers where the placement of every item is important. Finally, I'm sure there are principles that could be taken from card magic to accomplish the effect.

In a perfect world I'd like to be able to have spectators on stage apparently leading the arrangement, then revealing each letter themselves. I think the impact on their faces would double the effect. Any other thoughts anyone?
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
With some modifications, you might want to EAT AT JOE'S.

Too good to say anything more here.
hemisphere
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
39 Posts

Profile of hemisphere
Thanks. I'm not familiar with EAT AT JOE'S - where can it be found?
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
BRUCE BERSTEIN SELLS THIS IN A MANUSCRIPT CALLED ...THREE.
Frank
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Maven's got a great version of this idea called "French Active" in his violet book... I will likely be adding this to my show.
BT
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Canada
64 Posts

Profile of BT
Can someone briefly go through the effect: Eat at Joe's? I can't find the description of this anywhere?
Tks,
BRIAN
Brian T.

"Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old with 15 years of practice."
Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 01:02, BT wrote:
Can someone briefly go through the effect: Eat at Joe's? I can't find the description of this anywhere?
Tks,
BRIAN

The effect is exactly what the OP was looking for in 2005 when this thread began. The effect is now included in Bruce Bernstein's new hardback, Unreal. Go ahead and buy it... it was voted mentalism book of the year in 2012 by a landslide.

This is the kind of conversation that should be in Inner Thoughts. If you still haven't heard a description through PM or in Inner Thoughts by tomorrow night I'll discuss it with you via PM but not here... "Penny" is for safe topics that won't veer close to exposure. You weren't asking for exposure but I have a nasty feeling it could happen soon. The subject matter is too precious to risk that. Gotta go - it's late here.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
This thread needs to be in the private area !!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 01:19, Mike Ince wrote:
The effect is now included in Bruce Bernstein's new hardback, Unreal. Go ahead and buy it... it was voted mentalism book of the year in 2012 by a landslide.

Available on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Bernstein-Un......092VTK2C
Check out the divergent reviews
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
You will also find this plot (identical to Bruce's "Eat at Joe's, with his permission), with a completely different methodology, in Stimulacra (where it's titled "The Real Thing").
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
BT
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Canada
64 Posts

Profile of BT
Mike, definitely not trying to get the exposure here - Am legitimately wondering what the audience sees for this effect. Not sure what's so secretive about this? Slim if we're not exposing the method, why the need to be in a private area? I had heard about this effect before Bruce's book was released, but was curious why there was no description of the effect (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE METHOD) anywhere online!!! That's all I'm asking for here - Not the caramilk secret!
Brian T.

"Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old with 15 years of practice."
Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
PM'd.

The reason I don't like posting a play-by-play description here is sometimes what an audience sees is different than what they later remember. I also don't want to give clues that might allow reconstruction of the method.

I like both Bruce and Doug's methodology and I think it's beneficial to be familiar with both. Knowing each of them got me out of a sticky situation with a heckler a few years ago.

-Mike
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Quote:
On 2006-06-09 10:54, jstone wrote:
Maven's got a great version of this idea called "French Active" in his violet book... I will likely be adding this to my show.

Thanks to the suggestion, looked this up and think it's really fun. For those familiar with Phill Smith's "Quinta", you can turn this into a simple, direct, hands off routine!
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
And where may Quinta be found for those interested in this lovely plot.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
"Quinta" is in the book Yokai. But neither it nor Max's previously mentioned "French Active" (both of which are forces) have anything to do with the "Eat at Joe's"/"The Real Thing" plot.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 17:09, ddyment wrote:
You will also find this plot (identical to Bruce's "Eat at Joe's, with his permission), with a completely different methodology, in Stimulacra (where it's titled "The Real Thing").

Listen to Doug.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Yeah, Doug is right -- The Quinta Force is in Phill Smith's Yokai, and a modified (simplified) version is in Mokele. And yes, not to confuse things, but the idea of mixing the Quinta Force with Maven's "French Active" has nothing to do with Eat at Joe's/The Real Thing. A completely different plot. But as I mentioned, reading jstone's suggestion of French Active got me thinking. Just didn't think it was worth a separate thread.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spectators opening envelopes to spell a word... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL