The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Plastic Bag/Mail Bag Escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pizzazz
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
108 Posts

Profile of Pizzazz
Can anyone give me any insight on the Plastic Bag escape? It's a lot like the mail bag escape, only it's done with a giant plastic bag. I found it at Tanners Magic. I want to know if it's any good. Any feedback is appreciated Thanks in advance!
May all your days be "magic" days
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi Pizzazz,

The plastic bag escape being sold by Tannen's is nothing like the mail bag escape. They use two totally different principles.

The effect (plastic bag)is very good and in fact was a feature trick in Doug Henning's live shows. Although he didn't use a cheap plastic bag and I cannot vouch for the quality of plastic bags that cost $4.00. This trick needs to be done with at least one assistant. If you want to do it, I suggest that after you purchase the effect from Tannen's and learn the method, you throw away the plastic bag and have a seamstress make up what you need using better quality materials. You will also have to have a screen made up to cover the "secret" when it is being done.

Some of the great things about doing this effect are; 1) the top of the sealed bag can be visible and in the grip of a volunteer at all times during the escape, and 2) a borrowed object from the audience can be found in the still sealed bag even after the escape is done.

I made up a version of this in the early 1980's using at that time what is called "K-Way" material. My wife and I still use this in our act 20 years later. It packs very small and plays very big.

All the best.

Rob
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Based on what you're describing here Rob, this sounds like the old "Bag X" units sold by Irelands (Magic Inc in Chicago). I used to do a version of Doug's bit using this and a Tarbell Triangle base... great bit of business! Just don't think I'd trust such a bit in the form of a plastic trash-bag.

cb
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi Osiris,

I'm not sure what the Bag X is, but if it is the same as Sack X it uses a different method again. (Is the Bag X similar to or the same as Sack X?)

All three, Mail Bag, Plastic Bag (except with a decent bag) and the Sack X are IMO, good illusions or escapes. They can be done as dramatic or comedy routines, stand alones or as part of a larger routine.

Rob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Plastic Bag/Mail Bag Escape (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL