The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Penn and Teller. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
silapmata
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of silapmata
Directly NO! Indirectly Yes! PT does not expose any illussion directly like masked magician did but indirectly Yes they do it in Style, humor, witty & most of all entertaining. Masked Magician totally an exposed show!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Silapmata, are you an American? No wonder our national test scores are dropping. Did you bother to read my posts?

THEY TOOK CALLER REQUESTS FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF EXPLAINING THE WORKINGS OF MAGIC TRICKS TO THE LAY PUBLIC!

Can I be any clearer than that? How, by any stretch of the imagination, is that "indirect"? This wasn't in the body of a routine or trick. There was nothing "indirect" about it. THEY EXPOSED MAGIC SECRETS TO THE LAY PUBLIC DURING DRIVE TIME IN ONE OF THE COUNTRY'S LARGEST RADIO MARKETS!!!

Hello-o-o-! Anybody home, McFly?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-01-21 08:37, Starrpower wrote:
Silapmata, are you an American? No wonder our national test scores are dropping. Did you bother to read my posts?

THEY TOOK CALLER REQUESTS FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF EXPLAINING THE WORKINGS OF MAGIC TRICKS TO THE LAY PUBLIC!

Can I be any clearer than that? How, by any stretch of the imagination, is that "indirect"? This wasn't in the body of a routine or trick. There was nothing "indirect" about it. THEY EXPOSED MAGIC SECRETS TO THE LAY PUBLIC DURING DRIVE TIME IN ONE OF THE COUNTRY'S LARGEST RADIO MARKETS!!!

Hello-o-o-! Anybody home, McFly?

Yaaawwwnnnn.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You can yawn all you want, but until you address the issue in an intelligent fashion, you're just ignoring the facts and basing your opinion on ... well, I don't know what the basis would be.

If, on the other hand, your yawning indicates a boring topic, don't waste your time reading it.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
So what are we suppose to do about it? Kick them out of the clubs and organizations that they more than likely don't belong to? Slap their wrists with a plastic magic wand?
Sure there is a double standard in magic, so does nearly everything else. It's life and as we all know "Life's not fair".
Anything we do will to bring attention to exposers will only result in more attention being brought to exposers.
You can get all frothy and start TYPING IN ALL CAPS but exposure will continue to occur whether you approve of it or not.
Penn and Teller will continue to perform their show and your only recourse if you feel they have violated some sort of mythical code of conduct is to not go and see it.
You are certainly not going to instigate a crowd of angry villagers from Magic Town to descend upon them with torches and pitchforks here.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
I have seen there show live and found it amazing. They way the perform there show is they make you believe they are exposing something but it is not. It is like reading a fiction book and saying it is non-fiction....They are doing the same. They have a technique that no one does and it sells the show and gets them rating and so on.

I remember that there was a father in the audience that yelled from them to watch their mouth (maybe a stooge cause it was like perfect timing) but anyway Penn told him did you not read the rating of this show so shut the f*ck up. It was really funny cause they have away of making something that can come across mean be really funny.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Without the name calling.....but question if people who disagree with you are American. OK....

Would find it ironic if they start a religion considering they are atheists....

Another thread off topic......The long and short of it...I am not defending them if they did the radio show stunt. They were wrong to do so, and unfortunately assume that it wouldn't harm them, even though it may have harmed anyone in that area doing that effect. My point was and still is, one example obviously hasn't hurt their standing in magic. The Academy of Magical Arts, the producers, the top names in magic all seem to stick by them, so who are we to knock them. If they were meant to be vilified, there are people more important than you and I who should do it.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Michael, that's nonsense. Who's more important than you or me? I mean that sincerely. Milt Larsen? Eugene Burger? Valentino? Who? Do we have to be in the "Good Ol' Boys" club to have an opinion? In one breath you say it's okay to disagree, and in the next you say we're not the ones to do so. Strange ...

And the religion this was my little joke; subtlety is lost on some.

I didn't question if someone was an American, I asked if he was. I was curious, not implying that he was un-American for disagreeing with me. Touchy, touchy!

Payne, you're right, maybe we can't change things. But we can still acknowledge that things are wrong. Discussion sometimes *does* bring about change. Yes, we can pass on P&T's show if we don't like them (BTW, I never said that I didn't like their show ... I just agreed with the initial poster and gave my reasons, something a lot of people here fail to do.) And, if you think we're wasting our time discussing this, pass up this thread -- you're free to do that, as well.
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
P&T made me laugh harder than I have ever laughed before. What a great show!

Ben
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2005-01-21 16:57, Michael Dustman wrote:
who are we to knock them. If they were meant to be vilified, there are people more important than you and I who should do it.

OH NO!

THAT is the most unAmerican thing I've ever read. Anywhere.

No, I'm wrong. It isn't unAmerican. It's ANTI-American.

Yikes.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
I am against the exposure of magic. I've seen three P&T shows, and don't consider what they do to be exposure. In my opinion, they use "psuedo"-exposure as mis-direction. If the radio show was as described, that bothers me.

Enough, from me, on the TOPIC of this thread, and onto the CONTENT. I, for one, greatly value everyone's opinions, and I find it compelling when people appear to disagree so disctinctly. Ceratinly, many helpful conversations include disagreement.

I'm against name-calling and bullying, though, and I've seen a fair bit of both in this thread. All of us here crave conversation, and I suspect most of us are okay with disagreement, but I doubt many of us wish to read name-calling and/or bulling. I, for one, choose not to tolerate it, and I will appreciate and end to these tactics.
Dan.
Dan McLean Jr
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
I want Dan in my club !!!!!
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I personally find it difficult to discuss certain points without solid examples. Besides this radio show, I would like to see a list of their "exposures" so that they can be discussed and acutally be branded "exposure."

If you only want to use the radio show as the basis for the discussion, fine, just please don't wrongly add crimes when there are none.

just a suggestion for solid/valid discussion.

s
silapmata
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of silapmata
Long live Dan!
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I agree...long live Dan.

Starpower: No disrespect man. We're all good here. Stop yelling and have a beverage. We really aren't disagreeing as much as you think. I said I saw their show live and didn't consider them to really do exposure. You brought up something I was unaware of, and in rereading my post, I agreed with you. I was unaware of it, and said it would bother me, and could cause harm to quite a few magicians. My source of contention was that I thought you were implying that anyone who disagreed with you was either not American or automatically stupid. I retract.

Cheesewrestler......Ummmmmm......I have nothing. I guess I will be ANTI-American. Hope the US Govt. doesn't find out. I would hate for them to fire me. What I meant to say was, P&T are highly regarded by people such as the AMA. I don't have a membership to the AMA. Therefore, if someone wanted to investigate or chastise them for reports of exposure and harm to magic, than groups like that would have to do it from within. Membership has it's privilege. I have no membership card, so I guess I will leave that thought and head out to chuck some tea in the harbor.
WesRay
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of WesRay
Anyone know if Penn & Teller is working on a DVD release of their best TV appearances and magic routines? I saw them on letterman once, doing some type of effect with a rabbit and a shredder of some sort. Very entertaining. Smile

Copperfield, Siegfried & Roy, and Lance Burton all have DVDs. Penn & Teller need to release one (or ten!). Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Penn and Teller. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL