The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Not sure where to start to create scripted audio effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
I have an idea for a routine using an Amazon Echo; interacting with “ Alexa”. But it won’t be timed, as I’ll also be interacting with a volunteer. So need to trigger “Alexa” when needed.

I can pair my iPhone via Bluetooth to it, but not sure what app and remote to use for the audio interaction. So many and quite confusing. Most of what I’m reading looks geared towards music. I imagine I can make the Alexa bits separate tracks.

Just hoping to jump start further research and looking for advice and insight.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
A few people including myself use Alexa or Siri for this purpose. You're quite right that there are a great number of ways you can go with this. The challenge for you is that you have someone on stage which makes the timing a bit trickier. Without the person on stage you can use anything to just start the mp3 recording and leave the appropriate timing. You could even leave some dead space at the beginning of the track so there's a delay in you using your remote and the track actually starting.

This can be easily done with a Macbook, the Terminal application and Garage Band. Without knowing your scripting, it sounds like you need to break the script down into individual phases. You might consider Audio Ape or Media Star Pro for the remote cueing system. Both aren't cheap but you tend to get what you pay for. Another alternative is to use a presenter remote and Power Point or Keynote. Simple create slides that have the individual sound cues separated on them. When you insert them into the slides just set it up so that the sound cue you want plays automatically and not on "click." With a presenter remote you will need to access the remote and this will be something that you probably won't want the audience to see. These remotes also tend to have recessed buttons which make them harder to click without a bit of fumbling. I recently saw a remote control button adapter which might be of interest to you. Check out:

https://ideaalab.com/en/activacion-invis......istancia (click on CC so you get the English version).

Good luck!

jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I would use Audio Ape or MediaStar Pro.

https://www.audioaperemote.com

https://liveshowcontrol.com/
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
IncantoMagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of IncantoMagic
I would use a fake Alexa, and put it all in qlab. then you can either remotely activate the qlab, or you can have a tech run the sound.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Not sure where to start to create scripted audio effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL