The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Achievements 2018 (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
So go on then, I know some might find it difficult to talk about themselves, and others...maybe LESS so...

but go on - tell us all about what you are most proud of this year...or even something outside of mentalism that has had a knock-on effect too...

mine (in no particular order):
learned a lot about story telling and writing, been working hard for a few years now on it and I'm feeling more confident
launched a short lived digital magazine (only short lived cos life get extra busy suddenly) called The Penny Mysteries - and that'll get revamped and relaunched next year
started to learn the Hammond organ
proud of the Freud booktest I put out, I've even had it on a table where a couple of therapist friends have seen it and talked about having read it which was fun
proud of some friends of mine who have taken their mentalism (and allied arts) career(s) off in new directions and it looks very positive
i've re-mortgaged and revamped my flat which has felt like a clean slate in many ways
performed for pay little and often in the past quarter, and expanded what I do as a cartomancer (still love the title)
my beard is still lovely
gradually rediscovering a love of mentalism

that'll do...

oh and Teelings Irish whiskey is my new favourite drop of the water of life...
I've asked to be banned
Ever Elizalde
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Ever Elizalde
This year I started my own business... "Cartoon portraits for mystery performers" (www.facebook.com/digitalcartoons)

A lot of mentalists/magicians became loyal customers this year!
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2018, Ever Elizalde wrote:
This year I started my own business... "Cartoon portraits for mystery performers" (www.facebook.com/digitalcartoons)

A lot of mentalists/magicians became loyal customers this year!

Also credit where it's due: I'd say you have a lot to be proud of Ever - the caricature you did for me was exceptionally good. Congratulations on your business and best wishes for your continued success.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Coast to Coast AM with George Noory!!!!!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
This year I got engaged to Julie, anything else I have done pales in comparison.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
This year, I started a digital marketing/SEO company (https://woostermediagroup.com), and it is doing better than I projected. In my market, most people want magic shows, so despite my love of mentalism, I give the people what they want. I added a couple of effects this year, and has really given me a good feeling about my show. I think it has raised the caliber of it.

The first effect I added was Shigeo Takagi's rope routine as taught by Mac King in his Penguin Live lecture. I have since added some variations to it, and it is a show-stopper.

I also added the Rubik's Cube effect taught by John George in his Penguin Live lecture. This is another entertaining and mystifying piece.

With the addition of these two pieces, I am now in the process of rethinking my show. I have been a big fan of Dan Harlan's Triple Trilogy show structure, though Richard Osterlind has always encouraged me to think more in line with the five-act structure in Tarbell.

I think the addition of these two pieces will allow for the move to the Tarbell structure.

It has been a very satisfying year in terms of business and in magic.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2018, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
This year I got engaged to Julie, anything else I have done pales in comparison.

Mark

Congratulations!
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Last year was rough due to some personal reasons but 2018 has (thankfully) been good to me and my family.

Regarding my entertainment pursuits in 2018 I was able to:

- Produce a new and improved promo reel
- Book (just shy of) 40% more shows over 2017
- Increase the fee for my standard 50 minute after-dinner stage show by 25%
- Fine tune my "pitch" to enhance add-on services that have resulted in an average of 40% higher overall fees than I was receiving for similar shows in 2017
- Book my first performance for a fee over $6,000 (this isn't my standard fee YET but this showed me its possible to price that high in my market for my core demo)
- Do all of the above without an agent
- Complete my book "Architect of the Mind" (my first major release to the community) which should be available for purchase in the coming weeks

Outside of mentalism:

- My wife and I are expecting our second daughter any day now. Like Mark says above, "anything else I have done pales in comparison," when it comes to such significant family endeavors.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I figured out how to pay for my 18 yr old's college and give her a car. While at the same time helping my son pay for his college. We already gave him a car. My older daughter is out of college and on her way....to what I don't know yet.

I took the family to Ireland and Scotland in April as the result of an incentive awards trip and in March 2019 we will go to Bermuda!

Professionally as a performer I've decided to forget about worrying about mixing performing and my financial services career, I decided I'm well enough established to do a little performing now. So I've given the go ahead to my old agent friend Jamie Porter to book me some.

I've got 8 years worth of new stuff to try out. haha
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Congratulations to all!! Nice to read about good things happening in people's lives!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I've done more gigs than last year, though still not as many as I'd like.

Continually learning about marketing myself and starting to get a little better at it.

My act has gotten much smoother and more professional.

I released by first 2 products to the mentalism community, both of which have been well received.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Finally finished and released my iPad / iOS Palmistry Book after 6 years work... original file that had anything to do with it says 2012!

Still can't believe I finished the *** thing.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2018, bevbevvybev wrote:
Finally finished and released my iPad / iOS Palmistry Book after 6 years work... original file that had anything to do with it says 2012!

Still can't believe I finished the *** thing.

If it's as good as the rest then I wish I had an I something!

But I have most of your great stuff.
Shadow Art
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Shadow Art
The whole 2018 year I didn't perform, because I decided that live of a professional performer it's not for me. I changed a few jobs trying to find my way in life. Read some books, mostly - philosophy.
And then understood that my main interest lies in the performing career. That is, sadly, my main and my only achievement for 2018.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I just finished writing my next book.
Mr Matthews
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Mr Matthews
Hey Drew,

That sounds amazing and long overdue. I hope 2019 treats you even better than this year has (and I'm really looking forward to the book.)

Have a great Christmas and wonderful new year, to you and your family.

All the best

David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Achievements 2018 (15 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL