The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Science friction vs. Plasti-dip (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
By broken do you mean physically broken or that it just does not spray. If the latter I had the same problem when I first used mine after a few usages. I soaked my cap in paint thinner over nite and the cap sprayed again perfectly after. It had gummed up and everything else I tried failed. I also had contacted Cardshark and got a replacement eventually but I still use the original one. There’s also a forum for Science Friction owners that has useful info.

NM
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
Well it got gummed up. I was advised to use a pin to break through the blockage, but the little channel seems to be split. Plus there's still gunk in there. And I always shake like a mad man. Any good candidates for a cap?
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2020, chrom wrote:
Did you contact cardshark? I had the same thing happen. I purchased different replacement caps on Amazon and they didn't work. I ended up having to get an exchange.

No luck. I just get the message to clean it out. I'll pester them again, I guess. thanks for the info.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Not for nothing, but you can replace the spray nozzles for like $6 on Amazon. I gotta figure if you have a paint store nearby, they likely sell replacement nozzles.

The heck with fixing the one you got, just go buy a new one for cheap.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
If soaking it in a cleaning solvent doesn’t work then find a can of cheap spray paint at Home Depot or a paint store that has a matching nozzle.
Buy it and take off the nozzle before you spray anything with it and put it on your can.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
With SF do you need to spray both cards or only one card need the treatment?
Tricky Ricky
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Only 1 in most cases
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2020, shaunproof wrote:
My science friction cap is broken. Does anyone know if plasti dip or rustoleum has the same type of cap so I can buy a can and swap it out. Does anyone know where to buy the same kind of caps? I've reached out to the science friction manufacturer several times, but have had no luck. Basically I have a useless can of science friction because the can doesn't spray -- I think it's the cap, but not sure. $95 pretty much wasted.

Did you try to turn the can upside down and let it sit for a while? I have had many spray paint cans do the same after leaving it upside down it worked fine.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
Kalix: Thanks for the info about nozzles. I just wasn't sure if there's a certain size/pattern I should get which is best for applying Science Friction.
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
Kallix: The nozzles you recommended fit, and spray comes out, but it's way too much compared to the original. One little spritz and there's too much SF on the cards. Customer support from SF isn't so good -- I'll just buy a bunch from blick (or plasti-dip) and swap out.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
If you ordered the pack I recommended, it came with a red and black nozzle. The black nozzle is a fan tip and will spray way more fluid than the standard red one.

Did you use the black tip or the red? The red is the regular one and is the one to use.

Quote:
On Apr 18, 2020, shaunproof wrote:
Kallix: The nozzles you recommended fit, and spray comes out, but it's way too much compared to the original. One little spritz and there's too much SF on the cards. Customer support from SF isn't so good -- I'll just buy a bunch from blick (or plasti-dip) and swap out.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
I used the red one. Thanks! Just bad luck for me with this and I'll chalk it up as a loss and just use roughing stick Smile
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Shaun- Incase you haven't solved the issue, post and ask for someone who has finished off a can or is about to buy a second can to send you their nozzle.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
I ended up buying Plasti-Dip. It seems to be the same stuff (to me).
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
What kind of plasti-dip is best to use? I am assuming the "satinizer," is that correct?
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
The right PD is the one advertised as 'clear' on the can.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Those who claim that SF is the best are the ones who bought SF and are proud that they spent so much money on it and want to keep it that way.Smile
I have tested clear Plasti-Dip, Rustoleum and Flex Seal. They all work wonderfully. There is no issue at all having me think of an improvement or that I should throw away much more $$$ in to SF. And don't forget the method to only cover a portion of the card down the center. 👍
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Certainly not a huge difference between clear Plasti-Dip, Rustoleum, and SF.
I’ve used and tested all 3 side by side. Bottom line is they are all very similar and do the job well.

I found Plasti-Dip and Rustoleum to have ever so slightly more grip than SF, and this can be good or bad depending on your needs or the dryness of your hands.
SF is a little more invisible and a bit more undetectable to the touch in my tests.

If you can find clear PD quite easily at a store near you then that is probably your best bet and best value. But not everyone can because in certain areas it seems to be difficult to find it in clear or even at all. But it can be purchased online also but usually for a higher price.

It seems many people aren’t aware that the first can purchased of SF comes with a slew of goodies and a very good video explaining the proper use and application and a bunch of effects. Along with the first can you receive a code which allows you to purchase refill cans for about $35, so the cost per can is a lot less after the first one.

One nice thing about any of these is you only need to apply it to one card, whereas roughing fluid needs to be applied to 2 cards in order for them to stay together.
This is nice for effects where the non-treated card is handled by the spectator, even though it’s very unlikely they would notice any roughing fluid if that were used instead.

For effects where the spectator might examine a treated card, or in some cases the entire deck, then I personally feel the extra cost of SF is worth it for the piece of mind of making it a little more undetectable.

Keep in mind that these tests are somewhat subjective because there are many factors that can affect how the treated cards look and behave, such as the amount applied, how long ago the treatment was applied, perhaps even how well the spray can is shaken prior to use among other factors.

I should mention also that I only ever treat the middle portion of a card, about a 1” or so wide strip running from one long edge to the other.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
493 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
A question about Plasti-Dep: Is it better to spray only one card or both cards? Thanx in adavance.
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of drmagic
I spray only one card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Science friction vs. Plasti-dip (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL