The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Jack and Jill (viking) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jitterbug
View Profile
New user
Belgium
79 Posts

Profile of Jitterbug
Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a long time for an effect called 'Jack and Jill', which fascinates me. It was once sold by e.g. The Trickery and Seomagic, but is no longer available. it came in normal and jumbo version.

It is supposed to be an old effect, described in some book called A greater magic (?), but I also do not seem to be able to find that. Can anyone point me in the right direction, where ws it published? Any help is appreciated! Also, I posted this here, but not sure if this is the correct forum...?

You can see it demonstrated here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWx9vryom9M
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
"Greater Magic" by John Northern Hilliard is the book you want, but you may not recognize the trick as it is shown in the video because the original version, invented by Al Baker, was "Cherchez La Femme" (or "Find the Woman") and involved two Jacks and a Queen. It is easily made from cardboard instead of wood, in any size you wish. But if you think about it, it's just "The Hippity Hop Rabbits" with CLASS, so I perform it without the wood covers right in the hands of spectators
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jitterbug, sorry you have been duped by the information you have gathered so far. I first seen this effect in the 1960's as P & L Magic wad slowing down and going out of business. They made fine metal products, and indeed fine magic props. The version was a pedestal holding up a frame with 3 holes and sectioned holders for cards. As Jim mentions in his two card version.

From the fine wood holders in the video, I would say this is a "collector's" product. Not really made for performing but to put on a shelf and dust off once a week. If you do a lot of home entertaining, it can be a conversation piece to show when someone ask about it.

The wood frames have nothing to do with the effect, except to hold the playing cards. I am sure the price is for the fine wood used in making the stands, and not for the magic effect. I think you will be very disappointed when you learn the secret, as I was all those years ago. Luckily I was in a magic shop and could look at the prop.

Greater Magic is a very old book and can be found in used magic sales and auctions. I believe it has been reprinted some years back, and sells for high dollars. I did a simple search and found the book on Amazon asking price $1,000.00 for an original copy. If you use Google and enter: Greater Magic book or Greater Magic John Northern Hilliard you should be able to find a copy at varying prices.

My suggestion is to contact Viking Magic and talk to the owner George. Sometimes he has stock that he did not know he has in the warehouse. I did that once and got what I was looking for. Also being Magic Tao said in the video they had them made, why not email them and ask if thy have any remaining stock. Magic dealers do not keep their stock up to date, they are not all computer and inventory geniuses. Magic is not a high volume sale item, thus they do not spend the money for a high end inventory program. Just a suggestion if you are truly interested in finding this prop.
Jitterbug
View Profile
New user
Belgium
79 Posts

Profile of Jitterbug
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
"Greater Magic" by John Northern Hilliard is the book you want, but you may not recognize the trick as it is shown in the video because the original version, invented by Al Baker, was "Cherchez La Femme" (or "Find the Woman") and involved two Jacks and a Queen. It is easily made from cardboard instead of wood, in any size you wish. But if you think about it, it's just "The Hippity Hop Rabbits" with CLASS, so I perform it without the wood covers right in the hands of spectators

I have that book, so I will track it down in there. Thank you for the correct info. If it is easy enough, I might try making it in cardboard (to entertain the kids). Thank you Jim!
Jitterbug
View Profile
New user
Belgium
79 Posts

Profile of Jitterbug
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Jitterbug, sorry you have been duped by the information you have gathered so far. I first seen this effect in the 1960's as P & L Magic wad slowing down and going out of business. They made fine metal products, and indeed fine magic props. The version was a pedestal holding up a frame with 3 holes and sectioned holders for cards. As Jim mentions in his two card version.

From the fine wood holders in the video, I would say this is a "collector's" product. Not really made for performing but to put on a shelf and dust off once a week. If you do a lot of home entertaining, it can be a conversation piece to show when someone ask about it.

The wood frames have nothing to do with the effect, except to hold the playing cards. I am sure the price is for the fine wood used in making the stands, and not for the magic effect. I think you will be very disappointed when you learn the secret, as I was all those years ago. Luckily I was in a magic shop and could look at the prop.

Greater Magic is a very old book and can be found in used magic sales and auctions. I believe it has been reprinted some years back, and sells for high dollars. I did a simple search and found the book on Amazon asking price $1,000.00 for an original copy. If you use Google and enter: Greater Magic book or Greater Magic John Northern Hilliard you should be able to find a copy at varying prices.

My suggestion is to contact Viking Magic and talk to the owner George. Sometimes he has stock that he did not know he has in the warehouse. I did that once and got what I was looking for. Also being Magic Tao said in the video they had them made, why not email them and ask if thy have any remaining stock. Magic dealers do not keep their stock up to date, they are not all computer and inventory geniuses. Magic is not a high volume sale item, thus they do not spend the money for a high end inventory program. Just a suggestion if you are truly interested in finding this prop.

I agree it looks very fine as a collector's item. The 'trick' does not have a lot of effect, it needs more play, more patter. But it seems impossible when I looked at it. I have the book Greater Magic, so will plough that through. Thank you for your extensive information, and for probably saving me from dissappointment (I assumed the secret was in the wooden holders, and I am a sucker for clever ingenious effects). Thanks again, regards from Belgium.
Jitterbug
View Profile
New user
Belgium
79 Posts

Profile of Jitterbug
If anyone interested, the effect Jack and Jill I was talking about, is indeed based on Cherchez La Femme, from the book Greater Magic by Hilliard, it is on page 512-513. Thanks to both Jim and Bill for their excellent comments. Thx!

The effect is not so easy to understand though...
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I had forgotten about this effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Jack and Jill (viking) (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL