The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » The Magic Castle. (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Great Hambini
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of The Great Hambini
So I finally obtained tickets to the Magic Castle in Hollywood Ca. Will be heading there for dinner next month. I would love and appreciate any suggestions or tips on how to make the most of my evening while there.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Get there early, get a schedule, see a show or two before you eat, to see as many shows as you can you will need to minimize your time at dinner and stay until closing. Make the most of your visit. Have fun...
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Hambini, how was your visit to the Castle? Would love to hear a first-timer's POV.

I've been to LA at least 20 times for business and am embarrassed to say I am going for the fist time next month. I've read what others have said on here about the experience, but would still enjoy anyone else's advice. I'll be there on a Monday night, if that makes any difference.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
The Great Hambini
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of The Great Hambini
Hello Wolfgang. I will tell you I had the time of my life at the Magic Castle. What made it perfect was a few things. First, I brought good friends with me. Second, I just went with the flow of things and soaked it all in. I will say when we first walked in, we entered into a small bar area and we stood there confused as to where and/or what to do. That was when a nicely dressed lady approached us and asked if this was our first time there. (Our confused looks gave it away.) As it turns out she was a Ambassador to the club. (She had a title and I'm completely blanking on that title) In either event, she asked when our dinner reservation was and offered to take us on a personal tour to fit our timeline. It was the perfect start to the night. Everyone in my party agreed the food was outstanding and we ended up chatting with a very proud mom who's son was making his magic debut at the castle that night. We arrived shortly after they opened and ended up staying until closing time. (I'm normally an early to bed guy but had so much fun, I couldn't believe I stayed till closing.

So my suggestion is to get there as early as you can and as soon as you get inside, ask if there is someone who could give you a tour of the place. Lastly, don't go cheap. Spend the money, eat and drink what you want and worry about the bill later. You will not regret it. Hope you have a great time.
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Thanks, Hambini. Sounds like a wonderful evening.

It'll just be me and Mrs. Wolfgang. Honestly, this is the only thing on my bucket list, so I definitely won't go cheap. I'll be so excited, I might buy the whole dang place a drink.

I'd appreciate any other pointers from folks in the know. Want to get the most out of this special occasion.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
WA
223 Posts

Profile of Orlan
Not sure if you already had your trip, but the rooms fill out fast! If you want to catch a specific performer (you can check the schedule ahead of time from the castle website), get in the waiting line well before showtime. Otherwise, you can hang around any of the bars or downstairs in the dungeon.

Have fun!
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Thanks, Orlan. I went last week. Had a great time. Dinner was excellent, Manhattans were mixed to perfection and the shows were a lot of fun. Saw the group of Swedes who were quite entertaining. Mrs. Wolfgang was brought up onstage as an assistant, which she enjoyed. I'm already trying to figure out an excuse to go back to LA to do it again.
MagicBarMan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MagicBarMan
My recent experience was not so good. Waited in line for 3 shows. 2 of 3 were cancelled on the later end of the evening. Defeats the purpose of going there if you can’t see much. I understand the waiting in line, but it’s a whole other thing to wait and then get cancelled. Not to mention I flew in specifically to go to the castle. A long haul for a 20 minute set and nothing else.........
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ouch.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
As a counterpoint, my very recent experience going for the first time was exceptional. On a Wednesday, I took in five shows, the latest at 11:30, and saw some great magic and was treated very well. Sorry your trip was not the same MagicBarMan.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2019, Feral Chorus wrote:
As a counterpoint, my very recent experience going for the first time was exceptional. On a Wednesday, I took in five shows, the latest at 11:30, and saw some great magic and was treated very well. Sorry your trip was not the same MagicBarMan.

This seems to be more the norm. I talk to lots of people with this same story.

Sad to hear others do not have as good an experience.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » The Magic Castle. (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL