The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » How to determine or establish "Character". (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
disbelief
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of disbelief
Whenever I try and be someone I am not, it fails miserably
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
You can also try and organize your magic around a theme. Maybe that would help?
disbelief
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of disbelief
It’s easiest to just be your natural self. That ends up being the most engaging because it comes across as genuine and not acting
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Being a character does not mean being someone unlike yourself. It is just that the history of the individual is changed to account for the magic.

If you play "just your real self" then you are telling the audience that you learned to do some sleight of hand tricks and are going to show them. It isn't real, it is a trick. If you fool them and they can't figure it out, it seems like you are smarter then them or something: "I can't do magic, but I can make you think that I can." If the magician suceeds, the audience feels stupid. It is not a win/win.

Without the lie, magic loses its charm. The better the lie is told, the more interesting and complicated the entertainment.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » How to determine or establish "Character". (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL