The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » I need egg bag info (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2019, dibble38 wrote:
Hello Friends-
Looking for a little information. In a description of Malini´s routine Ken Brooke´s (??), an ending issinmentioned in which he just laid the egg on the bag in his open palm, dumped it into his other hand, tossed it and it vanishes. If you know the bag, it might be just a fold, but you can imagine a better way to do that with a little "kick". But I remember seeing, not too long ago, a routine in which the egg sort of APPEARS, or melts into view on the outside of the bag (yes, inside was outside). But I can´t for the life of me remember where. My fading memory says it was a trailer for a Penguin video, maybe Live Act series, and it was by no means the main dish on the video. But it was a lovely little sequence, and I would love to see it again, and get my hands on the product. Ring a bell to anyone?

Read the Mardo routine again~ The egg is NOT "DUMPED" into the other hand! I learned the handling from Charlie Mardo, HIMSELF. I've used his basic routine, with MY PRESENTATION, since 1951.

Harold Sterling credits Mardo with the "inside out" bag handling, in his catalog in the very early '40s. I have the catalog page.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2019, thomasR wrote:
Martin Lewis makes the egg appear on the outside of the bag.... he uses a Mardo bag. It’s on the old Stevens dvd and also in his at the table lecture.

Look at Martin's routine AGAIN. The "INSIDE OUT" bag is rolled up, after the egg has vanished, The bag is squeezed, and, the egg reappears on the top of the rolled bag. I KNEW Mardo! I learned the routine from Mardo, personally, in '51.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2019, dibble38 wrote:
Hello Friends-
Looking for a little information. In a description of Malini´s routine Ken Brooke´s (??), an ending is mentioned in which he just laid the egg on the bag in his open palm, dumped it into his other hand, tossed it and it vanishes. If you know the bag, it might be just a fold, but you can imagine a better way to do that with a little "kick". But I remember seeing, not too long ago, a routine in which the egg sort of APPEARS, or melts into view on the outside of the bag (yes, inside was outside). But I can´t for the life of me remember where. My fading memory says it was a trailer for a Penguin video, maybe Live Act series, and it was by no means the main dish on the video. But it was a lovely little sequence, and I would love to see it again, and get my hands on the product. Ring a bell to anyone?

Yes, this is a vanish that Martin Lewis describes in his egg bag routine. The bag is inside out when the action is taking place. The egg is Placed in the inside out bag while the hand with is held upright inside the outside of the bag. It is the only reason I purchased the DVD from Martin at Magikraft dot com, Just to learn that vanish.

Martin describes a unique appearance then a unique vanish. He gives proper credit to an old magic dealer in Hollywood.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Bill, Harold Sterling, in his catalog of the EARLY '40s. credits Senor Charles MARDO, with the idea of the vanish & reproduction of the egg. (I have the catalog page.) I learned the routine from Mardo, personally, in 1951. I did change the PRESENTATION to fit ME, and, have used it since.

I published my full routine in my book, "DICK OSLUND - ROAD SCHOLAR". It's in 3 phases, I can quit at the end of phase 2, or pad it out with phase 3.
In my dvd of several elementary school shows, the egg bag routine is on the second school show. You can see the audience reactions! I am running a special promotional "sale" of the dvd, at 50% off the $20 price.

My show "proves" that CLASSIC TRICKS, properly updated, and presented, still PLAY VERY WELL. The egg bag "gets" me lots of laughs, AND, A BIG MITT at the finish!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Dick for the info.

I was wrong about where it is published, it was in a book by a a famous Canadian magician who is no longer with us. He was in Stars of Magic as well. Can't think of his name currently. He did coin magic with the smaller U.S. coins.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Are we thinking of Ross Bertram?The production of the egg as being squeezed up from a rolled bag is an idea that came from Ross. I use it myself and it is a 'killer'!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thank you JNeal, that id the name I could not remember. Ross Bertram, it is in his book, and Martin Lewis credited him for the moves.
dibble38
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of dibble38
Thanks to all of you. Yes, the squeeze out to the top of the folded bag is the image I had seen. I think I´ll try and trace it to the source and see if I can´t find it in the Ross Bertram routine, which it seems is in his Magic and Methods book.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2019, dibble38 wrote:
Thanks to all of you. Yes, the squeeze out to the top of the folded bag is the image I had seen. I think I´ll try and trace it to the source and see if I can´t find it in the Ross Bertram routine, which it seems is in his Magic and Methods book.

Why waste your time and money sourcing the move. It is exactly the same as Martin Lewis explains in his video on the Mardo Egg Bag. Martin also has some nice handling for the bag. I like his spin move as well.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
If researching magic is wasting time and money I’ve wasted most of my life!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » I need egg bag info (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL