The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Tricks with Binary principle (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Christian Chelman has an effect that is baffling me, its called "Psychic Instructor". I am sure its binary but his methodology is sooo cleverly disguised. If anyone knows of anything similar in print I would be grateful for details of such a publication.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Managed to work it out based on what Scott Cram (thanks) posted about Leo Boudreau.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2018, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Sure - send your email address to harrylorayne@earthlink.net and I'll be more than happy to send you a copy of the ad for AND FINALLY!

Thanks Harry, just emailed you. Best wishes!
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
I want to know inventor of a great binary trick that used a white card with letters of alphabet on one side and 30 words (each word is 5 characters) from the Bible on the other side.
Spectator thinks of a word then magician holds the card with alphabet side facing the spectator.
The magician turns his head so he can't see as the spectator types (touches) each of the 5 letters with a tiny plastic mouse (for a little comic effect) then the magician reveals the typed in word explaining that he (the magician) has very sensitive fingers!

In year 2009 I created my own version of this effect using scifi words (took many hours to come up with the words that will fit the binary scheme of the "keypad" and my own “keypad card”).
I want to give credit to the inventor when showing this trick at close up rooms at conventions or contests.
My friend Garry Hayes thinks the name might be something like the "Educated Mouse".
Who is the inventor? and perhaps his source?
Thanks.
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
Glowball - Your post exactly describes "Jerry Sadowitz presents Mr. E. Ozo's Mindwarp." Including even the little mouse. But the word list in Mindwarp is an ordinary-looking collection of common words, not Biblical in theme.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
That's it! Thanks so much! Now I can give credit where credit is due. I wonder if Jerry created the "touch" principle or got it from somewhere else? The binary method of 1 2 4 8 16 has been around a long time.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
I wonder whether the "Bible Computer" is "pre" or "post" Mr E Ozo Timewarp?
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
Bob Ostin. I think he adapted Sadowitz’s effect, but I’m away from home and can’t check my library. Will try to follow up when I get back.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
To see this trick performed by a 75 yr old hobbyist magician do a YouTube search on "Larry Finley magic" and then click on the one with the Dr Doctor Who TARDIS and the pretty (74 yr old) assistant (wife).
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
In the Magica Series I-IV there are some original effects using the binary principle. In Magica Analytica II there is an effect called Sphere of Influence:
The magician shows the audience a collage which illustrates 16 different items, each of which begins with a different letter of the alphabet. A spectator is asked to think of any one item and concentrate on its first letter. A box and seven square cards are introduced. Each of the cards has different rectangular cutouts and letters or words written on them. The magician asks the spectator yes and no questions about his item, and based on those answers, cards are inserted into slots in the box. A metal ball is introduced and the spectator is asked to drop the ball into one of five holes at the top of the box. The box is jiggled allowing the ball to fall randomly through holes in multiple levels like a pinball machine. The ball finally lodges in a tray with 16 wells at the bottom. The tray is slid out and the ball removed by the spectator. Beneath the ball and at the bottom of the well is a letter which matches the first letter of the spectator’s thought of item. All the other wells have different letters. Only one ball is used and the box itself is not gaffed.
See this page for picture of apparatus
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
"Kioku" and "Mr Dark's 5 Shot Tarot" by Outlaw Effects, were both, well disguised, binary effects
Use the FORCE Luke.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Funny that I should read this thread. I have just created an effect that is very devious indeed. I have not even tried it out yet but it should work in practice.

It fuses several principles together nicely.

Basically the effect is as follows. You have a person roll a die MENTALLY in their mind four times and to add up the die outcomes as they go along to reach a grand total.

They are then handed a double sided chart. On one side of the chart are a list of words. All the words are different and of differing length. This list of words can be examined at length. The words are completely innocent looking and the list does not look contrived in any way or form. Once they have found the word that is associated with their dice grand total then they turn the chart over to the other side.

On the other side of the chart is a chaotic display of all the letters of the alphabet. All the letters are the same way up. Just the twenty six letters. No duplicates. Again this side of the chart can be minutely examined. It all looks random and innocent in every way.

You then ask the person the focus MENTALLY on the first letter of their thought of word. Ditto with the second.

After they concentrate their mental attention on the second letter in most cases you can divine their dice total and/or their word. For the remainder of cases a third letter is visualised and you are ready to go.

This effect uses binary coding amongst other things! It took quite a while to come up with the appropriate words but I am happy with how it has turned out. Smile
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
......and no PA fishing. The person need not say a thing from start to finish.
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Sounds nice - like a Leo Boudreau effect ;-)
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
Yes, I'm guessing probably like Leo's "eyes closed if red card". But maybe more like Jerry Sadowitz Mr E Ozo but instead of touching the letters the magician watches which quadrant the person is looking at? Very clever Andy! A few years ago I created my own special list of 30 words on a board and my own pattern of letters on a Sonic Screwdriver and then used pure binary simply by seeing which of two ways the spectator holds the Sonic Screwdriver as they look at each letter. See the link below:
https://youtu.be/VmvN1NfXIUY
Note: this was performed at Pigeon Forge Tennessee in March of 2019. The hot looking assistant (wife of about 50 yrs) is 74 years old! I am 75 at the time.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
The person does not need to close their eyes nor use their finger to point at any of the letters. It is purer and more devious than that.

Glowball, This is an open forum but let's just say that you might be in the right ball court Smile

Smile
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
Andy, Last March 2020 I whipped together a little last minute performance more as an example than a competition. I have four people on the stage. Each person has a chart of about 16 words. The second, third, and fourth person I incorporate your quad principles. See the link:

https://youtu.be/Jopr1YEDyo8

Note at the beginining I mistakenly say "five words" and "four words" when I should have said "five letters and "four letters".

At the end I use a different chart of 16 words and all four people look at that chart and I reveal their words. This is a trick that I invented by using four words that are homophones and I have each of their four homophones on the chart giving 16 words.

Note the trick before that used only the fourth person I Incorporated the homophones with your quad principle - that way I only needed one signal.

Note at the very beginning the first person I used my binary vowels trick.

With great effort I was able to incorporate my binary vowels chart and your quad principals in the same chart so that person 1, 2 and 3 were all looking at the same chart.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
Clarification: the person nearest me is the fourth person then the third person and so on meaning the person further away from me is the first person.
Haruspex
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Haruspex
It looks like nobody has mentioned Phill Smith's Stegosaurus
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
My Ophiuchus uses this principle in a novel way.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Tricks with Binary principle (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL