The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » DIY Floating Table Finished (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
SpellbinderEntertainment, makeupguy, and others, you OWE TravisNye another PUBLIC and private apology for your stupid comments. You have not seen or floated his table, and calling it crap from one photo says a lot about who you are inside.

I HAVE the plans for this table (Vandoren's book) . It's lighter than Losanders. It looks like a regular table, which is important. It also looks heavier, which is important.

Also, the wording of Vandoren's book on the origins of the floating table sounds suspiciously like my wording from my web site in 2007. Maybe he researched it himself, I don't know, but he didn't ask me. I don't believe Vandoren asked permission from Vladimir Mikek either . . . and he doesn't sell the book as an ebook because he "doesn't want it to be stolen" (according to a phone conversation I had with Vandoren). I thought that was pretty funny!

Note: While I think Vandoren's plans make a nice table, I do not use them myself. Yes, I think the legs could be wider, but that is a trade-off for weight.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2015, KC Cameron wrote:
According to Vladimir Mikek, Losander never even asked permission to make floating tables when he moved to the US. If anyone is making a knock-off, it is Losander..

Wow. Thank you KC. It seems clear now.

Doug
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Just a note, Losander did put out a DVD - to get more business. He does fix tables and has a trade in policy. Unless it changed, he offers $500 off a new table with a trade in of another brand. I would get the $75 plastic one made in China and save myself $425 if I wanted to buy a Losander table - he still makes a ton of profit.

His latest table is a 3 legged. I came up with that idea (and documented it on the Café) in 2007-8. I was chastised because it looked like a stool . . . now Losander uses that idea and it is great?? *L*

He sells it for $1500. I can make what he did for less than $100 - that is materials and labor of a professional finish carpenter. I think anyone could be real nice for that type of profit. When you say you get what you pay for . . . I would say HE got what YOU paid for. But, if you are happy to pay for it, whom am I to complain?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
You make a lot of sense, KC. I never knew this. I'm sure I speak for many, when I say I appreciate another view on this. I was rather unrighteously indignant due to the number of rip-offs and knock-offs today. This puts me in my place. Sometimes a light has to be shown directly on the issue. I'm glad ya spoke up, KC!

Doug
Jomavrick
View Profile
New user
Omaha
2 Posts

Profile of Jomavrick
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2014, TheRaven wrote:
5Magic ethics are only personal opinion. The legal system requires a huge infrastructure. Courts, Judges, Lawyers, federal law, state law, etc. The unique magic ethics has none of that. It is entirely dependent on a collective consciousness and personal opinion.Threads like this are where those discussions occur - but they will forever be personal opinion. Without written law and judges to decide, a system by which these finer points of ethics can be DECIDED doesn't exist.

I support everyone's right to agree or disagree. The debate is the thing.

Well I am new to this, I saw Losanders Table on Magic Geeks (when it was still around) and fell in love with it. I became aquainted with it on Losanders site and purchased the original table. I am working hard on the routine now before rolling it out. It is ingenious and admire him for his creation and feel compelled to give him props for his original creation. I think it is important to give credit of those that came before us for what they have created and especially that they share it with others. It is a quality product and think it is a fair price to pay. In any case I very much would like to see other routines and how others perform. Do you use music in your routine?
drstrangelove
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of drstrangelove
Um, I'm in a daze after reading all of this. I know the thread is old, but a friend of mine bought his daughter a floating table off of Amazon. I was skeptical, but ate crow because the quality is as good as what Losander sells. But it cam with no instructions.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2014, TravisNye wrote:
... It took me 3 days to build with approx. 8 hrs total into it
DIY is a good way to learn making things. If you're interesting in improving your design it might help to start with similar proportions to a baseline object in our shared world - like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ravel-Premium......41223749
Selling a version of someone else's signature and market item is not the nicest way to learn about magic market ethics.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I buy Magic products and do not make my own props. What I have done is modify a prop that I have purchased if I can improve it for my own use.
I recommend buying from the original creator.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Harry Anderson performed a floating table, either an Owen or early Abbot on carson twent years ago. It wasn't new then.
He also used it as a side table in his giant car effect, a nice convincer you can't do with thouse candle stand tables. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Px7MPg9Wc
Orman McGill did a floating dining table, and it was expsed in a national magazine before WW II(the big one).
BTY Nice table Travis.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I just went thru this thread and am surprised at the comments, pro and con, about basically copying Losander's table. Ethics, legality, "it's been done before," blah blah blah.

Sorry, folks, but to me, and to most of us in design-related professions, copying someone else's work is just plain laziness. Back in school it would not have been tolerated, either by professors or by our peers. And when I started working in design, I would not have tolerated someone on my team doing it. That's not what we were paying them for.

I've thought many times about making a floating table, but it would not have looked anything like Losander's, and I would have spoken to friends who own one to make sure I understood Dirk's working so I could come up with something different. It's not so much "ethics" as it is wanting to do better than the last guy.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » DIY Floating Table Finished (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL