The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Card Studio » » Making playing card paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex Day
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Alex Day
Hi
I think this topic is often left in the dark. I've tried searching on Google countless times and have had many conversations about making playing card paper.
Is it because it is odvious? I don't think so.

I've been gluing paper together for years. I've tried contact cement, pva, clear glue, super 77 and yes glue. "Yes" glue works the best.

I've printed grey full page on one side of 24lb paper then glued 20lb to the other side.

I resently discovered gloss medium. My problem is the gloss resonates the paper and you see grey streaks.

Does anyone know ways around finish? I think it is an advancement in my card work.

I think playing card paper needs to be talked about. Because it's an ongoing battle.
Cliff Rusnick
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Cliff Rusnick
The topic is left in the dark intentionally by those in the know. Everything about making cards is a secret, the card stock, the graphite Laden glue, the finish lacquer...everything.

The card stock bicycle uses can only be ordered by the truck load and you won't find it anywhere in small quantities anymore.

You might still be able to purchase some other card stocks and the finishing lacquer on this website: https://www.lybrary.com/how-to-make-your......ardboard

This site has the most information I've seen regarding making your own cards. Hope you get something out of it
Alex Day
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Alex Day
Hi
Thanks I ordered some.

I think the topic is very ambiguous. Like you search on google nothing comes up. I think "yes" glue just isn't right. Too thick. I think I was in the middle of a job when I discovered it wasn't very good. I think you progress from all the trial and error.

this post is from a while ago. Since then I make my own laqaur and block out glue.

Thanks
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
438 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
That (free) article is not too bad; but: lybrary.com ALSO has a (not free) book by Leo Behnke titled, "The Making of Playing Cards".... it's at least an interesting read.
His face isn't really this long in-person!
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL