The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mnemonica associations (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jocko
View Profile
New user
Dallas
12 Posts

Profile of Jocko
I'm using the peg system to memorize Mneumonica. Do any of you have a list of the way that you associate the card word with the number word?
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
As suggested by Harry Lorayne, turn each card into an image. Start with the suit and use the letters associated with the number of the card - so, for example, the 4 of clubs would be Car. Create images for all 52 cards. Another way is suggested by Rick Lax in his Mnemonica Trainer video. I used a mixture. I like how Rick created images for each card, but I prefer to use Lorayne's system to create an image for each number because if I happen to have a brain fart and forget the image fore the number, I can figure it out by relying on the sounds of the numbers -- but as I've learned in memorizing using mnemonics, it's extremely personal and what may work best for me, may not for you. So I'd encourage you to experiment.
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
It’s hard to use someone else’s Peg system to memorised the cards
I think the most important thing is to make it personal, my peg system is very filthy and sexually disturbing
Not sure I can share it without going to jail
But it helps me memorised the deck in less than 2 days and gave me a giggle whenever I have the card recall instantly in my head
I’m weird
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
I was cleaning an old drawer full of cards the other day and came across a deck comprised of cards with 52 different backs. Each back was a different animal wearing dapper clothing. The pictures were in color and each animal’s outfit was very creative, so if I had to relearn the stack I’d probably use this as an aid.
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Well, the basic principle behind the system is that you fill in the blanks to make words that make sense to you. The system translates the cards/positions into consonants and you fill in the vowels by creating the first word that jumps out at you. I can't speak for Mnemonica, but when I think of the 24th (N-M- in the major/peg system) position in my Redford stack, I think of N-e-M-o (24) the fish being boiled into a S-o-u-P (Spades 9) because those were the words that jump out at me. Form your consonants and sound out the words that jump out at you, then form your image around the words, the more absurd, the better. Hope this helped! I'll PM you a decent resource if you like.
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Silversleights,

You do look like a young Peter Turner !! Smile
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
I also learned Mnemonica with Harry’s peg system and card words. I won’t give away all my associations, but here’s one example I use: the 24th card is the 10 of clubs. In the peg system, 24 is the word Nero, and the card word for 10 of clubs is ‘case’. The way I associate the two is (and again, it’s personal, so that may not work for you), I imagine brother ‘Nero’ who is Jeff Hardy from WWE, opening a ‘case’. And I just do that for every single card. I was able to memorize the order of Mnemonica after reviewing my associations just once. Just make sure it’s memorable enough so that as soon as you see the card, or the number, you’re able to automatically transpose it. You don’t want to mess up during a performance lol 😜 if your associations are strong, you’ll never mess up, believe me.
Good luck!

Mor
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Imaginician, that made me chuckle, I'll take that as a compliment.

Fudge, I made a mistake in my comment though. I said 24th instead of 23rd Impromptu boy's comment made me realize it >_< Back to the drills boys...
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-
Northern Andy
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Northern Andy
Quote:
On May 8, 2020, Jocko wrote:
I'm using the peg system to memorize Mneumonica. Do any of you have a list of the way that you associate the card word with the number word?

I appreciate this is a little late, but Rick Lax has a brilliantly vivid and creative method of recalling the Mnemonica stack. Personally I'm not a big fan his in general, but his video on recalling this particular stack allowed me to practise it with confidence and it has stuck ever since. I recommend it as an option for learning. Juan has a "just go and memorise it" approach in his book which is a bit unfortunate as it is actually one of the most difficult elements of the book, meanwhile the effects are described excellently. Give Rick Lax a try if you are still struggling.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mnemonica associations (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL