The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Finding Doves in the U.S. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SandyAE
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of SandyAE
I live in Ohio and have spent quite a bit of internet time trying to find a source for 4 Java doves. Not been successful.
There are an abundance of sources in the UK but nowhere else. Is it illegal to commercially breed doves in the United States or is there just not
the demand?
I've never owned doves before. I assume when a person purchases them from any source private or commercial that the doves are picked up in person.
I can't imagine there being a any shipping method that would provide care for the birds during travel. Other posts here have warned about purchasing them
from pet stores. So other than from them how do U.S. magicians find their doves?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The only way I know is to contact magic shops and ask the owner, for references. Call, Abbott Magic in Colon, Michigan. What you are looking for is a "Breeder" of white doves.
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
I am not a dove owner myself, but have learned an awful lot just reading the hundreds of old posts here. Reading these posts you will learn that Bill has owned several doves. They almost cost him his life.Smile Like he states, you are just looking for white doves. Java is just a mutation of the ring neck dove. Searching ring neck doves for sale results in a much larger selection than searching Java doves. I would prefer a small breeder, but someone in the past has posted about Strombergs. Here is their dove page to give you an idea of what is available. https://www.strombergschickens.com/category/ring-neck-doves And yes, doves, along with many other live animals can be shipped.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
First of all, never ever purchase a dove from a pet shop. If you see them, they look great but pet store owners do not care them and very often they have disease or are just unhealthy in general. With that said, there are a lot breeders in the US, just do a google search for them in your area.

When I was performing with doves years ago, I shipped doves to other magicians and they can safely shipped via the US post office. In fact, other than shipping on commercial airlines which is expensive and sometimes difficult, the post office is the only way to ship. There are very few restrictions. A strong cardboard boxes with holes for air circulation, box labeling saying live animals and I believe they have to be at least 6 months old. At least that used to be a requirement. They will deliver next day or depending on your area, 2 days at the most. As long as the sending provides water for the birds, they will be fine. I used to get a small seed cup, put a sponge in it and fill with water. The cup was taped to the side of the box. The doves will peck the sponge and get enough water for several days.

The thing to be careful of is heat. I wouldn't purchase any doves from Arizona or las vegas at this time of year because the temperatures are close to or over 100 and that's just too hot for a confined bird. The Ohio or surrounding states won't be a problem.

One other source for dove breeders is the American Dove Association. A word of caution however about them. They are breeders or owners and they take a dim view of doves being used for magic. If you contact them, just don't tell them why you want them. Call them pets which even though you are magician, the doves will be your pets.

If you need any other help regarding doves or performing with doves, do search for my in the Polly Want a Cracker forum.
Where the magic begins
SandyAE
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of SandyAE
Thanks for the advice. There must be a good reason why the America Dove Association takes a dim view of magicians. Wonder why that is?
After all, breeders need customers which magicians are. Do they think doves are abused when used in magic? If that's true I have second
thoughts about putting doves into my act.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It's the opinion of the American Dove Association that magicians abuse the birds. That's not the case but it's the way they think and always have.
Where the magic begins
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
109 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
I have 9 Birds available in the Detroit Area, PM me, thanks!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My "THANKS" to Mike Fuller for my new Doves. The doves I had were getting very old.

(Mike lives in Georgia.)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Ted Danger
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco/Utila
106 Posts

Profile of Ted Danger
As a member of the American Dove Association for the last three years, I can tell you that they do not necessarily dislike doves used in Magic. They did publish my article all about doves in Magic in their 2020 winter edition of their Magazine/Newaletter Doveline. It was entitled "The Working Bird" and was very thorough. Thanks Bob Sanders, for mentioning Mike Fuller.
"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." Albert E.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Times have changed. When I started out doing dove magic, dealing with the American Dove Association was almost confrontational. They didn't like doves being used in magic so I guess their attitudes have changed.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My doves are getting very old. It is time I restocked.

I live in Alabama. Anyone raising doves near here?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
0wen
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of 0wen
I will have doves (and parakeets) available again next year. Scaled back significantly during the pandemic but will start pairing birds up in the spring. I'll create posts when they become available, color mutations, etc. I have white available is doves and keets, but also a variety of color and feathering mutation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Finding Doves in the U.S. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL