The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Lapping (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2009, Bill Palmer wrote:
Ah, yes, the famous "groat and bason" trick.

I don't think what we see in Scot or Hocus Pocus, Jr. has anything near the refinement or quality of the work Slydini did with lapping as a real technique.
Quote:
On 2009-02-14 03:52, Jonathan Smith wrote:
I'll have to look that up. Do you do any material from Discoverie?

If you do a cut and restored rope, or a version of Grandmother's necklace, you are, essentially, performing material from Discoverie.

On July 4, 1941, I was 8 years old, just starting in magic, and a sideshow magician in the Bud E. Anderson Circus Side Show "tipped the gaff" to me, on the "vanishing square knot that had been used to tie two bandannas together". (In Scot's Discoverie...", I, much later, learned, IIRC, it was called, "to untie a knot with words".) The "infinitive" (to) was almost standard in books like Hoffman's (Angelo Lewis) "Modern Magic", to "title" a trick.

Slydini used the method, and developed a technique for "DOING THE WORK", and, also, PRESENTING a routine that made the PERFORMANCE entertaining to a modern audience. He did it so well, that the trick is now called by the younger generation of magicians, "The Slydini KNOTS".

At 8, I didn't have the manual ability to actually DO the trick. I knew how it was DONE, but, it was a few years before I could DO it! THEN, it was a few more years of of practice, and and thought to figure out how to DO it, SO THAT IT ENTERTAINED AN AUDIENCE!

I've used it in almost every show, since!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
augustoamen
View Profile
New user
Copenhagen
3 Posts

Profile of augustoamen
Hi everyone, I'm preparing a close-up routine, I'm gonna be doing it standing up and I have to lap some cards, I would really use some help from you for any advice of what to use for this kind of lapping. Thanks to everyone. Best regards. Augusto
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
Quote:
On May 28, 2011, joe yang wrote:
Those of us who don't have the historical perspective of Bill or Jonathan don't understand a lot of pre-Houdin sleight of hand isn't documented. We can reconstruct it from performance documentation. It seems likely that a "poisonous feast" taken at a table in a pub might have involved some lapping.

My own exploration of Indian and Asian street theater is evolving into some seated, cross legged and kneeling performances which present some interesting opportunities for lapping. For that matter, sleeving into a kimono is a hoot.

Not having Bill or Jonathan's expertise, my work is not authentic. It is interpretive, presenting traditional routines, but taking full advantage of modern methods. The traditional, Asian stuff people have shown me over the years doesn't hold up to modern magic. There isn't much reason to assume older Western illusions where much stronger. Lapping has probably been around forever in some form. Card cheats and quacks couldn't really be expected to publish their methods.

Eric Jones has some good work on this idea.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, MuscleMagic wrote:
Lapping is def underused

Many of us do magic informally while at dinner and lapping is perfect at such times.
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2021, Gerald Deutsch wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, MuscleMagic wrote:
Lapping is def underused

Many of us do magic informally while at dinner and lapping is perfect at such times.

Absolutely. Lapping is one of the most versatile techniques for informal magic, as it can be applied to virtually any small object, at a moment's notice.

I recently published a book on lapping with coins that takes this one step further, and allows you to lap coins without bringing your hands back to the table's edge.
Amazin Doug
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
53 Posts

Profile of Amazin Doug
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2021, bluejay17! wrote:
I recently published a book on lapping with coins that takes this one step further, and allows you to lap coins without bringing your hands back to the table's edge.

Interesting! Where can I find this book?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Lapping (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL