The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Dan Wolfe's Thru Steel (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jkmagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of jkmagic
Hi there,

I was asked to do a review on this by another poster in another thread.I don't think it has been reviewed before.Well I received the illusion about 3 weks ago now & performed it for the first time the other night & people really liked it.This was my first time dealing with Smoky Mountain Magic, first of all I can gladly say Dan's customer service is fantastic.He is a pleasure to deal with & was full of help throughout the project.I can't say enough good things about Smoky Mountain Magic.

The illusion itself , a solid plate of steel is resting in a small stand,the steel plate is then removed & carefully examined by an audience member.It is once again locked inside the stand & the stand doors are closed on the steel's centre.However the sides of the steel can be seen throught the routine,so everything is fair from an audience viewpoint.The illusionist then steps behind the steel,penetrates it & emerges through the doors,the steel can be seen right behind him.Then hopefully you will hear gasps from the audience.Its really that good & Dan's routine has really made it simple to perform.As with any illusion there is practice involved but once you have perfected this it will definitely go into your routine.The other great thing about this is that you do not need any assistants to perform it,it is a great 1 person illusion.

I got great reactions from presenting this in an informal setting the other night.I am currently working on developing a full stage routine for this, though Dan kindly provides his performance routine as part of the illusion.And his routine is great.The penetration can be done quickly or slowly,again its all down to the presentation that you want to make.In terms of angles the audience needs to be facing you for this to work effectively.

The quality is top notch.The illusion can be set up in minutes & it packs into a super sturdy ATA case that is included in the price.The instructions provided are clear & easy to understand & Dan provides many tips throughout on how to best present the illusion.So I hope that more people check this illusion out,then again I hope no-one in Ireland does as I want to be the only one performing it here!,to conclude Dan's work is great & I can't wait to work with him again in the future.
talkingmute
View Profile
New user
Central Florida
4 Posts

Profile of talkingmute
I just found this review and I have a question for you...

Is this something that you could put an audience volunteer into without giving away too much or is the secret not well hidden from behind the side curtains?

Thanks.
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
"Into?" I wouldn't try to pass *them* through the steel...LOL!

If you want a volunteer onstage with you during the penetration, that can be done. It wouldn't be wise to have them standing at your elbow, but five or six feet away, they should be fine. You just don't want them looking down inside the thing.

Dan Wolfe
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
How are the performance angles?

Thanks!
Dan.
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
I've successfully presented it surrounded. It was a surprise that I'd have people behind me at the gig. Thur Steel was going to be my closer and I couldn't drop it, so I improvised.

There's only one moment where something might *flash* to the rear. I opened my coat so it would spread a bit when I widened my arms.

I made a point of asking the folks later...they saw nothing.

It surprised me too, but by golly it worked!

The trick is not angle-proof like, say, a Zig Zag. But it's pretty close.
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
dbmagic123
View Profile
Regular user
Evansville Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of dbmagic123
This is a great piece of magic. I can say, I too have done it in the round and very close up without any problems. Great prop, by one of the best guys in magic.

Don
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
If I could find a used one to fit within my budget I would buy it in a heartbeat... Anyone?
Professor J. P. Fawkes
dbmagic123
View Profile
Regular user
Evansville Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of dbmagic123
I sold my first Thru Steel ( Kicked Myself more times than I can count) I am happy to say I have just recived my second Thru Steel and I love it!!!!! and wont be selling it. You can not ask for a better guy to work with than Dan, and his products are well built and will last forever.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I saw dbMagic perform this about 6 months ago. It's a very convincing and baffling illusion.

Jim
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
I been looking at these. Would love to add this to the show.

Greg
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I too am interested as this would be a great one man illusion as I travel alone. (Well, besides my rabbit.)
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
I've got a brand new one highly discounted for sale right now:)
The Russian Mentalist
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of The Russian Mentalist
I contacted magic-taylor and he has already sold his Thru Steel. Does anybody else have a used Thru Steel for sale?
Kay99
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Kay99
One great illusion I love it
docbarnes
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of docbarnes
You never see one for sale.

It must be a great effect.

Doc
top_illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
USA
146 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
Does the illusion performed by Ryan Joyce work on the same principle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Hum1G5Azk
pigmike1983
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of pigmike1983
Check out https://dream-illusions.com/illusions/il......id-steel if you are looking for a walk thru effect if you are not able to get a thru steel.
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I guess I suck as an illusionist because I never get much reaction from this. I have presented this several different ways and the reaction is always “so so”. I have a Custom Water Wall that is a similar affect and it gets a little better reaction
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I watched the Ryan Joyce version ( which is very nice) and if you noticed. No response when he penetrated the plate with his hands. Very little when he showed the partial penetration which I really liked. That’s about the reaction I get
ernie_h
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ernie_h
Does anyone know who makes the Ryan Joyce version? I saw the Smokey Mountain presentation and didn't like it much. Frame to steel ratio is off. I think the presentational problem with both is the comparatively large frame and the cover around the back. Just screams that something isn't authentic. And I would tell Ryan to move that frame up to the front of the stage so the audience doesn't feel like you are hiding something or presenting an optical illusion. I do like Ryan's version though, and would be interested if I could change a few parameters.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Dan Wolfe's Thru Steel (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL