The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Erotic magic is it ok? (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well when you look around and everyone but one person is laughing it is more like bullying or harassment than a joke.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
191 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
I think in the right setting and for the right audience it id fine. I saw a lady perform with nothing but a TT and each time she made the cloth re appear she took of another layer of clothes until she was completely naked, it was funny and really worked well.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2017, Luke Jonas wrote:
I think in the right setting and for the right audience it id fine. I saw a lady perform with nothing but a TT and each time she made the cloth re appear she took of another layer of clothes until she was completely naked, it was funny and really worked well.

I would post a link to that video but it would get deleted. Ursula is no magician but she did keep the attention of her audience.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Ursula Martinez is a wonderful performing artist from London. She is not a variety performer.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
HeeHee...If I tried Ursula's routine, I would get a "fleeing ovation"! In vaudeville, they called it, "playing to the haircuts"...
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
191 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
Magician or not she did perform an effect and turn it into a good routine which was tasteful
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I think the key to any fringe performing style is whether or not it is "appropriate" (suitable or proper in the circumstances). That is potentially a gray area as people's opinions will differ on what is appropriate and what isn't. I would suggest that it has a lot to do with the specific demographic's expectations. When you go to see a Friars Club Roast... there is an expectation of a certain type of material. If you do a 5 year old's birthday party, there is likewise a certain expectation. When you go to see Zumanity in Las Vegas, you should be well warned on the type of show it is. If there was a magic routine in that show... a lot more might be expected than in a more public show broadcast during prime time on a major network. Doing a salacious routine in a professional strolling setting would probably be unexpected to the guests and therefore not appropriate. If you were asked to perform for a Bachelor Party or something similar, there would be vastly different expectations.

I'm reminded of an act that played the Magic Castle for 1 night called "Mr Mystic & Vixon". Their act was perfectly suited for the stag parties they played in Montana but not exactly appropriate for the Castle, although once the word got out, it was certainly packed for their 2nd and final show.
Ray Pierce
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
If the routine is good, and the people know what they're getting I think anything (legal) goes.
But you gotta follow those fairly simple rules.

People pay money to have prostitutes perform, legally of course.

Comedians cross any number of lines (tastefully, always tastefully).
Having said that, I wouldn't find that sort of magic interesting.

What does Pop say about Morales? They're balast, you need something to throw overboard when things get too heavy?
Something like that.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2018, Josh Riel wrote:
If the routine is good, and the people know what they're getting I think anything (legal) goes.
But you gotta follow those fairly simple rules.

People pay money to have prostitutes perform, legally of course.

Comedians cross any number of lines (tastefully, always tastefully).
Having said that, I wouldn't find that sort of magic interesting.

What does Pop say about Morales? They're balast, you need something to throw overboard when things get too heavy?
Something like that.

MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Check out the current issue of Vanish Magazine for more discussion on this topic.
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I have only seen the bra trick done in person by one performer. In this one case, I think it was actually a good choice for the venue.

It was at a nudist camp.

Having the bra appear had the effect of partially dressing the woman, not undressing her. Hilarious in the right context. She obviously wasn’t embarrassed at all.

I can’t think of a single other venue where it would be as good.

Patrick
Skeleton
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
318 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2018, MagicalEducator wrote:
Check out the current issue of Vanish Magazine for more discussion on this topic.

Could you please let me know which issue / number that was and if it was just one story or if the whole issue was dealing with that topic?
To infinity, and beyond!
mantel
View Profile
Special user
922 Posts

Profile of mantel
Issue 49 Vitaly but this is just my guess. It was one story R Rate Kids Magic by Paul Romhany
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
I have seen magicians do effects like night out or the magic ding dong. The minute they walk away, the eye rolling begins. They come off like that perverted uncle who is always telling inappropriate jokes.

I have seen David Copperfield do a good version of Bathing Beauty.

In general, we need to stop objectifying women and end the practice of parading around assistants in low cut out fits with g strings.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
The most tasteless example of the bra trick I ever saw was at my local IBM Ring many years ago during a public show. A guest performer invited a guest -- a Navy sailor in uniform -- to come up and help. When he pulled that bra out I thought the sailor was going to slug him, and the audience just sat there stunned.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Good job by all of you. I have no content to add but there are a lot of thoughtful posts here. Thanks for that, keep it up!!

Dave
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Erotic magic is it ok? (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL