The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Magic Societies with Their Own Buildings? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I found an interesting 1931 Society of American. Magicians convention program on eBay. Here is the link to the listing:
https://tinyurl.com/yyjxelhs

One thing that caught my attention is that at the bottom of the program cover, there's a notice that reads: "BUILDING FUND BENEFIT"
So at one time did the S.A.M. plan on having their own building--like The Magic Circle in England has its own building?
If so, what happened to that plan?

I also note that the Sri Lanka Magic Circle is making plans to have their own club building as well as announced on their homepage:
http://srilankamagic.org/home.htm

Considering that the IBM membership is likely greater than the membership of The Magic Circle, I wonder if the IBM would ever consider plans for a building headquarters with a theater, museum, library etc.

_The Magic of Thinking Big_ is the title of a popular book by David J. Schwartz.
Surely IBM has enough "magic" to think BIG!
Surely the S.A.M.--the oldest magic society in the world--can think BIG! Obviously they were thinking big back in 1931!

As Oscar Hammerstein wrote in "South Pacific":
-----quote-----
You got to have a dream,
If you don't have a dream,
How you gonna have a dream come true?
-----unquote-----

Are there any other magic societies that have their own building?

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
The A.M.A. (Academy of Magical Arts) has the Magic Castle in Los Angeles. I agree it would be cool if more had their own club houses. Maybe one in New York Smile
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
One difference with IBM is the members are all over the country and not concentrated in one city the way many Magic Circle members are in London or way many Magic Castle members are in LA. There are very few cities that have the membership concentration to support a clubhouse. One place that does is the Chicago Magic Lounge which does have a membership option that includes access to a library.

https://www.chicagomagiclounge.com/rt-application
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

The A.M.A. has members all over the country and in like 47 countries or something like that. I literally live on the opposite side of the country and I plan on trying to join as a magician member as soon as I can when they reopen after the pandemic ( and when I can find a magician member of the A.M.A. to sponsor me)
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

EvilClown, I just checked out the link you posted for the Chicago Magic Lounge. Seems cool I had never heard of that place before thanks for adding it. Anatole, great topic! Thanks for starting it! I would absolutely love for this topic to keep getting added to and for it to become a comprehensive list of magic clubs that have a club house all over the country and the world! So far we have mentioned;

1) The Magic Circle
their club house is “the Magic Circle Building” in London
https://themagiccircle.co.uk/

2) The Academy of Magical Arts
their club house is “The Magic Castle” in Los Angeles
http://www.magiccastle.com/

3) The Chicago Magic Round Table
their club house is “The Chicago Magic Lounge” in Chicago
https://www.chicagomagiclounge.com/
(Although from what I can tell this is more of a public venue and they have a slightly different relationship with the club than the others on the list)
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The SAM never did have a building. I have seen the plans drawn up Oscar Teale who was an architect by trade. It was never built but it was wonderful idea and concept.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember several years ago the S.A.M. had an intensive drive to raise money for a headquarters. Many people contributed and M.U.M. was filled with news of the project.

What happened?
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

No one knows of any more that we can add to the list?
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
I am an AMA member MagicVin. If you have chops, I'll sponsor you.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Thanks EvilClown! I'd love to talk to you more about it!
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Is that all? Have we completed the list? No one knows of any more that we missed?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
It seems to me that there was a heyday of magic clubs when it was possible for them to do something like this, but clearly that day has passed.

Another tangentially related subject would be: were there any clubs who HAD their own building but eventually passed into obscurity?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

That would be a good topic but I’d love to keep this thread just about current ones
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Magic Societies with Their Own Buildings? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL