The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Zombie routine (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

professortango
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of professortango
Forgive me if this is an idiotic question, but I've seen a few Zombie Ball routines where the ball seems to be concealed within the foulard for more of an unseen entity being captured beneath the silk. Is that a specialty foulard or is it a specific kind of ZB designed for that purpose?

I've been wanting to expand my magic beyond traditional close up and the ZB has always intrigued me, so any resources would be appreciated.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There are several Zombie-like tricks/props/routines on the market.

Nielsen Magic sells "Ghost Catcher" which has an invisible ball-like form appearing under a handkerchief. The form takes on a personality of its own and floats and gyrates Zombie fashion. No ball is seen. The form vanishes at the end of the routine.

It can be seen advertised here:
https://nnmagic.com/store/magic-tricks/ghost-catcher/

Losander has the "Bubble Zombie" where a large soap bubble is "captured" by a large scarf and moves about Zombie fashion. The soap bubble is not seen again after being covered by the scarf. At the conclusion of the routine the bubble is popped and the scarf falls and hangs apparently empty. In all a nice routine (discussed in depth here on the Café').

Found here:
http://www.lasvegasmagictheater.com/stor......bie.html

And as mentioned above Bill Abbott's "The Thing" is a Zombie like routine where a ball-like shape floats and moves about Zombie fashion. It is never seen. The Thing was the rage a few years ago. As mentioned above the basic "Thing" seems to be off the market right now. However the "The Thing Platinum Edition Express" is still for sale and found at:

https://billabbottmagic.com/products/the......af&_ss=r

the Thong has also been discussed her on the Café'.

Interesting that Bill Abbott has put his workshop plans and handling notes for the Thing on his site as a free PDF and can be found here:

https://billabbottmagic.com/collections/......otes-pdf
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thank you Harry I just purchased "The Thing Platinum Edition Express"!

Doug
professortango
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of professortango
Thank you Harry!
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Zombira, the new floating silver ball, without a cloth

https://youtu.be/3FAjYC0nI0w
dtrickys
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of dtrickys
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2021, Dougini wrote:
Thank you Harry I just purchased "The Thing Platinum Edition Express"!

Doug

it's really good ? 200$ ?
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
The Thing, like many of Bill Abbott’s tricks, can feel expensive for the props that you get and if you thought about the prop you could probably make it yourself or have someone make it. On the other hand everything works as advertised and the teaching is first class. I purchased to have an easy to carry plug in trick for my show for younger people and am happy with it. If it’s “worth it” is a fair question but ultimately a personal decision.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2022, dtrickys wrote:

it's really good ? 200$ ?

Quote:
On Jan 25, 2023, Xcath1 wrote:
The Thing, like many of Bill Abbott’s tricks, can feel expensive for the props that you get and if you thought about the prop you could probably make it yourself

In fact, on one of Bill Abbott's early DVDs he does show how to perform it and make the props for the Thing. (that DVD is out-of-print , but not impossible to find on the used magic marketplace).

The difference with The Thing Platinum Edition (the $200 version) is you get very well made props, and most important of all an exhaustively researched and detailed teaching video with instruction from Bill Abbott (how has honed the routine with hundreds of performances) and Cirque Du Soleil performer Paul Wildbaum who teach mime technique on maintaining the illusion of emptiness, body isolation, point fix, resistance, breathing, stage movement, character development and motivation, which contribute to the illusion that "The Thing" under the cloth is really there, really alive. If you're a serious performer who doesn't already have extensive training in mime technique the instructional video is worth the price if you will devote the time needed to study it carefully and work through the techniques taught. The price keeps it out of the hands of the casually curious hobbyist.
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
What size cloth comes with Bill Abbott's The Thing ?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2023, Doctor Zolar wrote:

The cloth is 16" x 16". (you get two - one gimmicked, one ungimmicked)
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
[quote]On Sep 18, 2023, David Todd wrote:
Quote:

The cloth is 16" x 16". (you get two - one gimmicked, one ungimmicked)
-------------------------------------------

Thanks.
Suggestions and directions for size that I have run across is 18 x 18.
But, as you say . . . . 16 x 16 will work as that's what it comes with.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:

Thanks.
Suggestions and directions for size that I have run across is 18 x 18.
But, as you say . . . . 16 x 16 will work as that's what it comes with.

Yes, I'm sure that an 18 x 18 scarf would work fine. I've read of some people making their own using a 17" pocket square. So that range from 16" - 18" should be fine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Zombie routine (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL