The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Perhaps an odd topic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Sorry if this is deemed inappropriate, but I have sensed for some time that the "traffic" at the Café has slowed considerably. Some people I used to recognize are gone. I don't know any user names but one can tell if a contributor has taken off. But mainly I feel that the frequency of new posts or responses to existing posts have fallen off to a noticeable degree. Am I off base? If not, do you have any idea what may be causing this? If I am merely reacting to my sense of how things are going, and there is no real change, I apologize for taking up your time. It is just that I would hate to see this great website go through a difficult period.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Why somone posts or does not post isn't something we can control. The site is free and here for members to participate or not at their discretion. People move on, pass away, change their interests or just don't have anything to contribute. The Café has been running for 20 years and just about every topic you can think of has been discussed before. That could be why you don't see "old timers" contributing because they have already voiced their opinions. After all, how many times is it necessary to answer the question "which is better, a red deck or a blue one" "are books better than DVD's".

There's no much chance of the Café going away. We still get 100's of posts every day.
Where the magic begins
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks Dave. It's not just the "old-timers", it's that the Café seems "quieter" than it used to. Thanks for getting back to me.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
CdnAndrew
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
For myself, I've discovered new web-based communities in which to discuss magic that better match my needs. There's still a wealth of information here on the Café, but it doesn't fit into my personal as well as it used to.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2021, CdnAndrew wrote:
For myself, I've discovered new web-based communities in which to discuss magic that better match my needs. There's still a wealth of information here on the Café, but it doesn't fit into my personal as well as it used to.

I'm glad you've found sites that fit your needs. I hope you contribute to those communities more than you did on the Café. Only 153 posts in 10 years of membership might be what the original poster is asking about.

I mean no disrespect and nothing personal only pointing out that a site can only be as good as it's supporting member.
Where the magic begins
CdnAndrew
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
Yes. I did leave the magic community as a whole for roughly a decade. As someone beginning again, I don’t know enough to answer questions, and am fearful to ask questions on topics that are already discussed (“you should use the search…”) and also nervous about responding to threads that are too old. So I read more than I post.
Tjs3000
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Tjs3000
Maybe people would post more if they could actually use this site on the modern devices we all use regularly..... or maybe that's the appeal.. terrible UX...nearly impossible to use on a mobile device.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
I’m confused, I use this site on my phone all the time. What issues do people run into with using it on phones? (Not asking to question people having an issue with it, just hoping maybe I can help.) I do agree that there can be some snark from long time users, I understand why. (It can get frustrating answering the same questions over and over.) but also some times despite a topic being discussed before some people may not get the exact info they are looking for. (Not saying that’s always the case some times people are just lazy or not good at reading and a 19 page thread can be daunting.) personal I don’t think pointing fingers at one another is going to make anything better. Honestly I feel like it’s a matter of getting out of it what you put into it. I enjoy this site, it’s not the only one I use but I definitely enjoy it and use it often. I help others when I can and have gotten some great help. And have gotten some snark I just take it from where it’s coming from and move on.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2021, Tjs3000 wrote:
Maybe people would post more if they could actually use this site on the modern devices we all use regularly..... or maybe that's the appeal.. terrible UX...nearly impossible to use on a mobile device.

That's not really true as explained in your own topic about mobile browsing. It may not be exactly what you want but it is completely usable on mobile devices.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=40
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Perhaps an odd topic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL