The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ash-Diary of an 8 year old schizophrenic (69 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2021, Intrepid wrote:
The rolling glass bottle really freak them out too. Nice touch.

I had an accomplice using thread to get a bottle to fall behind the spectators. This was actually a backup just in case of bell malfunction. Ended up on the floor in any event which even surprised me.
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of balzar
Thank you so much for posting this. Performance videos are valuable for any kind of magic, but I think they are invaluable for bizarre, and it is very good of you to share. I wish more people did, but then, as I myself have not, I am hardly in a position to comment.
I enjoyed the performance and, although I do not do Ash, if provided insights into book tests that I do perform.
In the interest of trying to be constructive, and at the risk of it being taken the wrong way, I thought I detected a bit of a tell in your choice of language when setting up the diary. Maybe this is only a North American thing, but a turn of phrase like, 'This takes place' is usually used when referring to a fictional work 'The novel takes place in Victorian England'. For a real event, we just state things as fact: 'This is a diary from the late 70s'. It is a small thing, but the former suggests you are telling a story, not relating facts. Doing so provides a kind of theatrical distance (which is perhaps what you want), but it is not as scary as presenting all of this as real.
You refer to the diary as a 'book' and, elsewhere, as 'hand-written'. Again, It is a small thing, but diaries are almost always handwritten (this one clearly is), and never referred to as a 'book'.
Again, thank you for posting.
And bravo for writing it out by hand, it takes everything to an entirely different level.
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2021, balzar wrote:
Thank you so much for posting this. Performance videos are valuable for any kind of magic, but I think they are invaluable for bizarre, and it is very good of you to share. I wish more people did, but then, as I myself have not, I am hardly in a position to comment.
I enjoyed the performance and, although I do not do Ash, if provided insights into book tests that I do perform.
In the interest of trying to be constructive, and at the risk of it being taken the wrong way, I thought I detected a bit of a tell in your choice of language when setting up the diary. Maybe this is only a North American thing, but a turn of phrase like, 'This takes place' is usually used when referring to a fictional work 'The novel takes place in Victorian England'. For a real event, we just state things as fact: 'This is a diary from the late 70s'. It is a small thing, but the former suggests you are telling a story, not relating facts. Doing so provides a kind of theatrical distance (which is perhaps what you want), but it is not as scary as presenting all of this as real.
You refer to the diary as a 'book' and, elsewhere, as 'hand-written'. Again, It is a small thing, but diaries are almost always handwritten (this one clearly is), and never referred to as a 'book'.
Again, thank you for posting.
And bravo for writing it out by hand, it takes everything to an entirely different level.

Thank you- that’s great insight - those small scripting changes could really help to “sell” the backstory further. I appreciate the constructive feedback.
Satire
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Satire
I couldn't quite hear, were you waiting on a final ring from the bell at the end that didn't come, or was that by design?
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
I decided to leave them hanging. Like Ash was still with us. So no goodbye bell ring.
professortango
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of professortango
An idea I've been playing around with is replacing Spirit Slates with a sven book. Book slates work well in mentalism and vintage ghosts from the era. With Ash being from the late 60's/early 70's, I am toying with the idea of an old version of Alice in Wonderland where I can thumb through the pages showing it as a normal, and then when we summon Ash and force a crayon color, suddenly we open the book to find it scribbled all over with manic writings.

I also did just acquire an old Bozo the clown doll from the 60's, so I always call a little attention to the Bozo page so I can ground the story in the realistic props surrounding it.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Nothing says terror like Bozo.

I'm not joking. That would scare the bejesus out of me.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
dkelten
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of dkelten
Probably far too late for this, but is anybody aware of where this can be purchased or someone interested in selling this? I have been on the lookout for this product for a good while and have so far been unsuccessful.
professortango
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of professortango
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2021, dkelten wrote:
Probably far too late for this, but is anybody aware of where this can be purchased or someone interested in selling this? I have been on the lookout for this product for a good while and have so far been unsuccessful.

Keep watching forums and bizarre facebook groups. I got a used copy from someone unloading it about 6 months ago.
dkelten
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of dkelten
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2021, professortango wrote:

Keep watching forums and bizarre facebook groups. I got a used copy from someone unloading it about 6 months ago.

Will do, thanks!
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
893 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Wow,great performance! ASH always makes me remember Rick Roth. I had a discussion with him about ASH at the first ECSS. He told me he hand wrote the book and had his daily work reviewed by his 10 year old daughter. She was critical of his drawings being overly juvenile, as the Alice was 9 years old when she wrote the diary. I purchased my copy that same day. He had the original pages on the table and he let me pick any page I wanted. I took Feb 27 which depicted Alice reaching for her winged father. So creepy. I wonder who got the Bozo page?
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Wonder what Rick is doing these days? At one time he was selling under another name on eBay. I do miss the creators who are no longer offering their dreams.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
427 Posts

Profile of Seance
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2021, weepinwil wrote:
Wonder what Rick is doing these days? At one time he was selling under another name on eBay. I do miss the creators who are no longer offering their dreams.

I don't miss the ones that overpromised and undersold...
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2021, Seance wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2021, weepinwil wrote:

I don't miss the ones that overpromised and undersold...

I miss what they offered in creative items.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ash-Diary of an 8 year old schizophrenic (69 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL