The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Get More Gigs The Easy Way by Devin Knight (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Anyone see this or have it for review?

16 pages to learn how to get gigs the 'easy' way.
Over the years, I've been learning that there is no easy way.

Almost spent the 10 bucks out of curiosity but still hesitant.

http://www.lybrary.com/get-more-gigs-the......592.html
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There are certainly easier ways,
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I bought this out of curiosity. After reading it I decided that this was not for me, but I agree that it will attract attention. Personally I prefer to make cold calls to qualified prospects.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I too have this and several of Devin Knight's other books or ebooks on getting bookings and business. I've reviewed them else where, but they are not for most performers that's for sure. He seems to specialize in some off-beat, unconventional approaches that he claims works for him. I question almost all of these techniques. I've met him before and he is a bit "off-beat" himself, a bit of a "hustler" and his business materials reflect the same.

The one thing he doesn't seem to pay much attention to is perception, what others think of him or those attempting his ideas, and not much thinking from the customers (actual) perception (rather what he thinks is their perception).

Some may like it. Most of his material is a very "hey, look at me" mentality." He says he's a magician, then he'll claim he's a mentalist, and yet still a hypnotist, all of which should have different target audiences, positioning and perception, and should be approached differently or uniquely (otherwise he's just a magician really), yet tries to offer materials with much hype and suspense (you have to pay to find out what it really is and if it would really be of interested or practical for you. Most I have found are not, but some may want to spend their money to decide for themselves.)

His releases are relatively cheaply priced so some are willing to pay just for the curiosity. But the whole ideas of going to a mall or public place and start performing or attracting attention to yourself is something anyone can do and most have already thought of (especially magicians) and would feel uncomfortable doing in the first place or they'd already be doing to without his ebook.

I agree with Mister Illusion, target prospecting is always much more preferred, efficient, direct and usually yields better and more desired results. It also is perceived as much more professional rather than general prospecting to those that are not even interested or considering booking entertainment that you are trying to persuade. A very general way to approach getting gigs at best.

However, knowing we have some alternative thinkers in this forum who prefer to go again the grain and typical industry standards, they may find this more of interest and actually deem it clever (but likely still not enough to attempt it themselves). I'm sure a few may even claim to already be doing this as well.

There seems to be a wave these days of guys trying to market some alternate approaches or claiming to go after some unconventional type of performance markets (not just Devin Knight, I'm referring to others) such as the morning breakfast market (is there even such an actual market?), luncheons, high school bands, and other alternative venues and ideas. Some UK guys are doing the same, and we all remember BB's attempt of targeting high-end Steve Cohen-type of events (after just attempting it one time himself with minimal success) to kids parties and now hot is the four-walling ideas (which seems to come around every 4-5 years or when bookings begin to slow), etc. It's a wave and I suspect many of these guys don't even do themselves what the product they're selling details.
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Once again, Mindpro has confirmed my thoughts & suspicions.
Thanks for posting.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
As a retired "roadie", I agree TWO hundred percent with what Mindpro, just wrote!

I think that the best way to get more shows, is to DO A GOOD SHOW! --And, with the type of conditions that "exist" in far too many venues, today, THAT "aint" easy!!!

If you DO A GOOD SHOW, your agent will hear about it from the client, or potential clients, who saw your show will call you, or your agent.

I passed along a "GREAT WAY" to book gigs, that costs NOTHING, in my book! In case you missed the ideas (one of which I got from my old pal, the late DON LAWTON) you'll find the ideas on pages 329 -- 331 of "DICK OSLUND -- ROAD SCHOLAR".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Now there's a book I have heard nothing but good things about from nearly every one who purchased it. Books and releases that come from industry knowledge and experience within the industry are always your best investment.

While there is nothing wrong with getting creative and perhaps blazing new methods, techniques, concepts and ideas, these I have found are usually done for marketing purposes and financial gain of the author. They are rarely reliable or consistent. However, true, tried and proven industry mainstays rarely disappoint, once understood and implemented properly. YES! YES!, YES! there is still (and never will be) nothing better than doing a top-notch performance AND knowing what to do to optimize and monetize it to the max.

It amazes me the narrow thinking of many entertainers any time you mention agents or agencies, as they think that such information doesn't or won't apply to them. Performers are their own worst enemy not being able to separate their personal perceptions with that of the industry and proven processes. It all applies directly to all entertainers, even to the newest of beginners, on the absolute most local of levels, in Smalltown, USA or our major cities.

Spend thousands on marketing, social media, and everything else under the sun, or focus on doing the best show possible (IN THE EYES OF YOUR CLIENTS AND PROSPECTS, not necessarily your eyes) and then focus on how to maximize the results of this. People tend to over-complicate it, today with current technologies, more than ever. Wise thoughts Dick.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
It may be a surprise too many. Through my experience and speaking to other Magicians in my area, just doing a good show is not enough. The way you market or promote yourself is more important. I know people who are not good and are very busy and Magicians who do a great show and not get many bookings. A famous actor once said it does not matter how good your service is if nobody knows about it. You can be the greatest guitarist but not get much work as a musician if you are lazy and unorganized. I am not saying it is okay to be terrible but you really need to spend more time on Promotion once you have a good show. Cheers!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why do you constantly dig up years old threads?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Get More Gigs The Easy Way by Devin Knight (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL