The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Paddles (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Can you please be specific? Was it that the black dots on the paddle were printed poorly, the paddle itself was junky, the die was cheaply made, or other things.

I own the original and though it is suitable for performances, the quality of that set left something to be desired. My issue was that the spots were printed cheaply. It is certainly good enough to use though!

Please keep in mind that for these days, the retail price is rather inexpensive. Hence, a lesser affordable quality.
jsbosco
View Profile
New user
Detroit, MI
64 Posts

Profile of jsbosco
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2023, Magical Moments wrote:
Can you please be specific? Was it that the black dots on the paddle were printed poorly, the paddle itself was junky, the die was cheaply made, or other things.

I own the original and though it is suitable for performances, the quality of that set left something to be desired. My issue was that the spots were printed cheaply. It is certainly good enough to use though!

Please keep in mind that for these days, the retail price is rather inexpensive. Hence, a lesser affordable quality.

Specifically:

The dice seemed to be made of lightweight injected plastic in a mold. Much lighter than most dice that are available for purchase. The edges were sharp and uneven (bits of plastic tagging off at certain edges/not sanded). The ink was fair.

The paddle's dots were inked off the mark.

This could perhaps be improved if you purchased Dicey Dots and: purchased also a normal set of dice and gaffed them with a common office staple designed for correcting mistakes, and painted in the paddle's dots.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Thanks for the details. Sounds sloppy and not as good as the originals from Daryl.

Not sure that your suggested solution would work because of the thickness of the whiteout consistency, especially when it dries.

By the way, the dots printed on the original stick were not perfectly centered down the length of the stick.
jsbosco
View Profile
New user
Detroit, MI
64 Posts

Profile of jsbosco
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2023, Magical Moments wrote:
Thanks for the details. Sounds sloppy and not as good as the originals from Daryl.

Not sure that your suggested solution would work because of the thickness of the whiteout consistency, especially when it dries.

By the way, the dots printed on the original stick were not perfectly centered down the length of the stick.

White paint!

The "dots" are cylindrical holes drilled flat into the paddle. Those holes in themselves do not seem off-center. There is black ink, generally, in the dots, but the printing is not exact.

I am trying to imagine the way Daryl originally created the trick, and I would use real dice and a prettier dotted paddle. I would imagine the great benefit of purchasing Dicey Dots is Daryl's routine itself, as the props are easily replicable.
Presarian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Presarian
I love whiteboard paddles!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Another vote for Whtieboard paddles.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Paddles (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL