The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » What do folk uses minis for? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I canon,y really think of using them as part of a revelation. What do people use mini decks for?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
"Would you like to see a little card trick?" Said with a smile this corny opening line just about always gets a smile back and an affirmative response; then you're off to the races!

Most of the tricks you would perform with a standard size deck can be performed equally as well with a mini. (Easier to ring in a cold deck, too.)

Julie
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
There are lots of tricks where normal size cards appear to shrink to small size. It could be a selected card, the whole deck and even the card box.
Try a search for Shrinking Cards, Diminishing Returns, Micro Macro, Shrinking Card Box, Squeeze.
Troels
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
This mini deck effect by Michael O’Brien and Ray Wickham is pretty slick - http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/9759
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Julie: I know that this reply is 2 years late--apologies! I just loved your tip about "a little card trick" and will likely use it--thanks. Also, I agree completely that "Most of the tricks you would perform with a standard size deck can be performed equally as well with a mini." Recently I added some ink marks by hand to the backs of a couple of mini decks (a tedious task, BTW), and find that they are almost as legible as on regular size decks. I can't wait to perform a "mini-miracle" using them and doubt that anyone will ever suspect that they are there.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I use a few when I make up my Diminishing Cards...Mine isn't that much different from some other methods, but the real point is that audiences seem to like Diminishing Cards in the middle of a set with manipulation of regular size cards.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Note: Meir Yedid is selling a trick again, which uses small and a large card. One and Only by Bill Prior. An old trick he found in his warehouse and now available again.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I made an invisible deck with a mini deck and used it for walk around for years. I held it together with a rubber band and did a crisscross on one side with the rubber band so I knew the direction. It was easier to make it appear from nowhere and took up very little pocket space.
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
Great Idea oagwood!
Tom Tourville
"Magic is all based on guile, and the more experience you have with being sneaky, the more sneaky you can be"
- Teller
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
A great trick with Mini cards is "Micro-Macro" by Brother John Hamman.
In the original presentation a full sized card turns into 4 minis and then an entire deck of minis grows into a full sized deck.
In the late 50's & early 60's Don Alan popularized the second part of Bro John's trick by performing it on TV and in his lectures.
Tom Tourville
"Magic is all based on guile, and the more experience you have with being sneaky, the more sneaky you can be"
- Teller
jsbosco
View Profile
New user
Detroit, MI
64 Posts

Profile of jsbosco
There is a great packet trick in Paul Harris's Art of Astonishment (Book 2, I believe), in which a card "shrinks" into a miniature card in the spectator's hand.

Edit: "Bizarre Shrink" from AoA book 3.
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
112 Posts

Profile of spudster85
I have an IP in mini form. I go through the classic routine where the spec thinks of a card, they picture it, then the deck is produced. Creates a funny moment of, "you need to think big, follow your dreams!" Then, if I have time in the performance, I produce a regular size and show BOTH decks have their thought of card.
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
358 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
For a while, I carried a mini deck in my pocket in case I wanted to do impromptu cartomancy. I had a very good outcome following one such reading, so I never left home without that miniature deck for the next 6 months. Smile

If you decide to keep your mini deck in a stack that you know, then you always have a powerful performance tool at the ready.
Ampa
View Profile
New user
A Cellar Vault in Berlin
63 Posts

Profile of Ampa
You could do also a beautiful card rising effect with a miniature deck. Two cards are selected and lost in a miniature deck. The deck is placed under a drinking glass and the two selections visually rise out of the deck.
It can be found in Martin Lewis - Close Up Miracles for example.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » What do folk uses minis for? (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL