The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Scared to Perform. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
I thought I would submit this post and see if anyone else has the same problem I do when it comes to performing for others. I am not new to magic, I have been interested in magic for over 20 years. I go to the conventions. I buy books and videos, and I practice, practice, practice. Yet I still cannot bring myself to share the magic I am learning with others. I may be able to perform something flawlessly, but I still cannot work up the nerve to show it to somebody. My wife loves the magic I do and encourages me to show everyone, but I always find a reason not to.

Here’s the kicker. I have been a full time minister for over 13 years, preaching to hundreds of people each week. I have no fear at all of public speaking. I can get in front of a group of hundreds of people and not be intimated, but let me try to show a friend something I learned and I get so nervous that my hands start shaking and my voice cracks up. I don’t get it.

Are their others that have this same problem? How do you overcome it?
JarrodHenry
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of JarrodHenry
Screw up a few times.

Seriously! Remember your first sermon? I bet you were nervous as heck. And I also bet you made a few mistakes. Nobody killed you then, right? No lynch mobs, preacher? Smile

Have someone select a card. Lose the card intentionally. Fail to find it. Laugh about it. Joke about it. Let them see you make a mistake or two and not worry about it.

That psychological fear of messing up is horrid. I know. But once you make a few mistakes (don't expose or anything too major) , the fear will subside. You'll just learn to cope with your humanity.

And then.. then it gets fun Smile
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Apparently you show your magic to your wife without fear. Maybe try some easily mastered "mechanical" trick to make a Biblical point in a sermon. Nothing drastic maybe a color changing silk to show how things can change. You'll have to make up the context or check the forum here that deals with Gospel magic.

You get rid of your fear once you have put the lie to the idea there is something there to fear.

Good luck
Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Mention you are thinking of entertaining a childrens group with some magic tricks - if they don't immediately ask to see you do something ask them if they would mind being guinea pigs to try some out...

Above all, make sure your first trick is guaranteed to make them laugh or get an oooh or ahhhh or wow - that will make you feel more at ease.... these type of tricks are known as openers - for good reason - quick, simple, visual - gets the audience but also importantly YOU off to a good start...
catch you later

Clarioneer
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I agree with Jarrod. Lose their card intentionally. Infact, to make it fun, force a card and make it really look like you lost it. Really stink it up for them. Have fun with it. Then when you cannot find their card anywhere, pick up the deck, put it back in the box and say something like "I can't find the 3 of clubs (or whatever card you forced) anywhere. I guess I'm not that good with cards." That way it's a double whammy. It looks like you messed up a card trick and then you floor them when you name the card that you could not have possibly seen. I've done this several times and it never fails to get a laugh or two. Now that everyone is loosened up, go into the serious stuff and really blow them away. But the most important thing is to HAVE FUN! If you are not having fun, it will show in your performance, so just take a deep breath, relax, do some funny stuff on purpose to loosen up a little and then really let their jaws hit the floor.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If I had a nickel for everytime I was nervous, or screwed up a trick...

Nervousness is something a lot of people have. Learning why it happens it is how you can learn the steps to overcome the fear of it. Here is my theory. I am nervous the first time I perform something new in front of an audience... even if I have practiced to the point I could do it in my sleep. Performing a magic trick in front of an audience is something that simply cannot be done during practice at home. So, that hurdle has to be done in the only place it can be... in front of an audience. Until that becomes second nature, it will be a new experience, and nervousness will likely be there each time until that wall is broken down. This may be something that will happen each time you break out a new trick. But after a few times, at least you'll know what to expect...

Looks like the other posters were right! You just have to get your feet wet and just enjoy it.

Once the routine becomes a complete entity, including the audience, the energy spent on nervousness can be given to the presentation, and that's when you will see your magic take on a life of its own. The machine will be on autopilot, and you will be having the time of your life.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Part of it may be from the fact that when you're doing magic you're trying to fool them which would make you even more nervous.

Try to get into the mindset of entertaining and this may help.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Olive,

I VIVIDLY remember my first payed performance in front of a live audienc twenty or thirty years ago. What I remember the most was that I was shaking like a leaf. my hands were literally trembling to the point where I almost dropped the (fragile) props. but I got through it, and you will too.

You are a minister correct? So then, let me ask you a loaded question. WHO is standing with you when you are performing? Are you ever alone? Where does fear and timidness come from? is from your saviour, or is it from that other creep? ( The snake in the grass.)

Does not the scripture state emphatically that "God has NOT given us the the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind?"

If this is so, (And of course, it is) then you need to simply adjust your thinking to align with that truth. When you do that, everything wil begin to fall into place.

Let me ask you one more thing: Is there a possible fear of rejection from church folks that you may be experiencing? That is, a fear caused by some church people's attitude that magic is "of the Devil?", or "Evil?" If that is true, then you have a little more specifics about the fear, and can better deal with it. And the best way to deal with fear, I have found, is to give it the BOOT, and that with a brisk swiftness.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
carolina illusionist
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of carolina illusionist
On your performing shyness....join a local ring...FCM or IBM or SAM and get involved. Perform magic in front of a dozen magicians and you can perform for a full house of kids.
Gypsy Randi
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Gypsy Randi
When I first went into broadcasting years ago I was scared to death. I was told by a wise person to pretend the only person out there was someone who thought I was wonderful. Good or bad when I was done they would still love me and think I was great. I know this is corny but I just thought of my Grandma, she always thought I was perfect LOL. I calmed down, did my show and learned to be the first to laugh or make a joke if I messed up and it was easy to go on. People want you to be good, no matter what happens if you can make it look as if it's part of your show, they'll laugh then clap for you. Just have fun.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
My reply to the original post is: I have indeed been a little nervous. My first foray into the vainglorious art of magic-ism-ocity for a crowd was , of course when I was drunk, throwing three card monte for my sister-in-law in a local "Olive Garden". I sobered up while doing a sponge ball routine with a family a few tables down, and of course there were about six nearby tables giving me their undivided attention. As a minister you may understand that only God Himself knows how I got there. I felt like I was in the dream where I had only underwear on. I however am a stubborn person so I figured I would finish whatever it was that I began, and got invited to no less than seven parties and such that I had no intention of going to.
How I overcame the problem is by drinking only at home.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Say Josh, perhaps as a minister, our friend does not drink at all, at home or oherwise. That is the boat that I am in, and it works pretty good fo me. Ay least, I never wory about my mind and thoughts being anything but clear during a performance. I suppose that was not much help, though.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Common sense I am without, ministers I know, I do not ask if they drink unless I am buying. Didn't mean to anger you Daffydoug. I forget that we are in a world where everything a one may say will offend someone. What does Gambrinous mean by the way?

I however remain staunchly un-offended.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Why don't you start with a self-working trick? This will relax you up and will also allow you to also see what kind of spectators you're dealing with.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Hazli is right.Try Do as I do-you can't mess that up!After just a few tricks you'll have enough confidence to perform for others.
As for the devil/evil in magic-didn't that end with the inqisition?
Andre
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
Work on a nice routine with a little comic added to it.. laughter is good for the nerves Smile
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
This "fear" will be controllable but it'll always be there for most of us. I for one am thankful of it. It forces me to be ready because the "fear" make me think of all the things that can go wrong and hopefully I'll be ready when they do.

That said. When I'm about to perform and I feel that feeling creeping up on me. The feeling that my hands might start to shake. My first thought is to get the sponge balls out of my case and open my show with the sponge balls from the mouth. I also grab some mouth coils to end the routine.

I do this because I'll be able to perform this routine without saying a word. It's very visual, very funny, they'll laugh and I can get use to being up there. My first applaud came before it feels like I did anything. Once I get that laugh and applaud I'm past the fear and can move on.

That's what works for me anyway.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Hello:

The solution is as simple as the reason why most folks have the problem you have with performing the magic you have learned with others.

Here goes: Most folks are scared that they will be caught, busted, seen through, etc. SO WHAT? The solution is to get doing magic in perspective. Follow me here: If you are busted doing a trick what will happen? Will the world be a more sinful place? Will children suddenly drop dead because you screwed up a trick? Will the starving be fed or not fed? Realize the following....Magic is one of the most trivial of human occupations. I LOVE it and 33 years doing it professionally has been great, but it is NOT Brain Surgery or any other life saving occupation. It's a wonderful hobby and craft and very occassionally art, but it's not real in the sense that you can't really wave your wand and produce food for the starving.

Get and grip. So you get busted. Go for it. Really, just go for it. And, if you get busted, sit down and figure out why and then HOW you can change what you do so you don't get busted again. I taught myself the Peter Rabbit trick. It took me 4 tries to figure out how to make the 'steal' of the little bunnies before I got it right, but the concepts for sneaking things never left me.

Go forth and if you get busted the first time out and coincidentaly you have a heart attack and die? You would have to admit after what I said above that would be pretty funny...... Just do it. Seriously, no one ever died from performing a magic trick unless you count those clowns that died doing the bullet catch...hey, there is always someone to throw off the curve. Take care and God bless,
Brad Burt
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think Brad really nailed this. Follow his advice and you'll get over the fear.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Wow! Excellent Brad!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Scared to Perform. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL