The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Scared to Perform. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Fishsticks
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
70 Posts

Profile of Fishsticks
When I first started performing I used to get so nervous I almost would throw up. But now I drink Pepto Bismol. It helps.
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Hello. I used to be scared to death of preforming. (by the way, my father is a minister, and I know where you come from. I speak and sing in front of people, and had the same problem) Anyways, Here's what I did. I started out by going to the mall, or anywhere that has a lot of people. Then I would randomly ask people what time it was, of something to that nature. Nothing much, just got me used to talking to strangers. then, I moved up. I started asking them if I could show them something, and I would do a small effect. Now it is a lot easier for me to preform. Also, preform for your family and friends. Tie in a gospel message and show them, and ask them what you think. Once you start getting good reactions, you will get over your fear, for the most part. Like it was said earlier, don't be afraid of getting caught or making a mistake. it happens to all of us once in a while.
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Listen to the many advice people give you here in the Café. They are all useful. Smile

Use your magic in your ministry. If you are still scared, try performing for children first, then increase the age level of your audience.

All you gotta do is gather your confidence and perform. Experience is always the best teacher. When I started performig for others I was totally so nervous. People would stare at my hands as they visually trembled from nervousness. I guess this is the hyped feeling of excess adrenaline. But trust me, as soon as you gather your experience points, every performance will just be a breeze to you.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
I came real close to using an effect this week as an illustration during my sermon. I was going to use "tagged", to illustrate how we cannot be seperated from the love of Christ. Sorry to report, I chickened out at the last minute.

There is always next Sunday.

Thanks for all of the encouraging post though. I am trying to arrange a show for our kids with myself and another magician from my congregation. I have done that once before. We had about 60 kids and had a great time. Like anything else in life, it gets easier after you take the first step.

Allan
JarrodHenry
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of JarrodHenry
Write down the critical aspects of the trick. At any time something can go wrong, write down what those things are. Then, write down explanations or outs for those things. You'll find well designed tricks will have better oppurtunities for outs than poorly designed ones.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Yo:

White Angel's idea of desensitiztion (spelling?) is spot on! What a great concept. When I was exhorting you to 'just do it' I was not suggesting that you necessarily start out by doing a routine in front of your congregation. Without any humor here, find a five year old and do something...work your way up the age ladder avoiding boys aged 12-16 and you'll do fine. Essentially, you want to pick someone to do some magic for that won't have you giving up, but who may instill a moderate amount of performance anxiety and just do it.

If you are just anxious across the board then to heck with it. Pick a taget and go for it. I want to slam this home as I tried to do above: It DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU SCREW UP A TRICK!!! We have all done it. Nothing bad will happen. This is not like asking a girl out on a date. Too many turn downs there can really mess a guy up. This is a freaking magic trick. Again, if you do a trick and you get some horrible chemical reaction that causes you to blot up like a frog and demands hospitalization....well...then...you HAVE to let us know, because again, I would think that was really funny after all my cajoling to get out there and do some magic for folks. Please, Please, just do it and come back to us with a cool story of you success that's what we really want as funny as a bad allergic reaction would be. Best,
Brad Burt
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Great ideas here!

I think you need to look at what you are afraid of. Obviously you are making the fear bigger than the risk. Are you afraid of getting caught? Are you afraid that deceiving people in this way conflicts with your ethics? What exactly would be the worst scenario that you are hiding from?

I think if you bring it out into the daylight, it may seem small enough to overcome.

And if you are afraid of screwing up, you really have to see Carl Ballantine in action. Smile

"Boy that's a trick I wish I could do!"
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
Clifford,

I love what you said about making the fear bigger than the risk. You asked, "What are you afraid of?", and I have really thought about that. I have thought really hard about that. I guess I am most afraid of appearing like a show-off or, and I know that puts people off.

Now, that is not my personality, and I never perform in such a way as to belittle people or make them feel inferior. But my biggest fear would be to be perceived that way by someone I am just trying to entertain.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Hello:

If YOU are not a jerk in real life the possibility of your magic be perceived in a negative manner is very slight. Just do it and have fun.
Brad Burt
Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
Desensitization is probably the key. Start out by guided imagery in your mind, visualize a preformance in front of a few friends (what you'll say and do etc...) Perform something you have done well for your wife for 1 or 2 good friends. The magic books with advice for beginners are all right about this.

I am an amatuer but have been doing magic for years in front of small and large groups (talent shows, ice breakers,friends parties). The best way is to learn a trick well, do it for your wife or a family member to see if it plays well, then do it for every friend you have, and once you do it a bunch of times for aquaintences you'll be cured.

I think the best way to describe it is to learn it, practice it well, practice the performance in front of several friends, then move on to more challenging audiences. Keeping this principle in mind will help: start with people who know you and like you regardless then move up the ladder of increasing levels of skepticism.

Kids are non-judgemental on a personal level so that part is kind of easy, but boy howdy will they eat your magic alive if it isn't good. ;-)
welsha
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of welsha
I totally agree with Bill Douglas, I used to get nervous like when your heart sinks but now I just show a new trick to friends and family when I know its perfected I then take it to the real world.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Welcome to the nervous club!!

Join a local IBM ring etc & your confidence willo grow with help from other people

Only perform simple magic to start with-something that cannot go wrong & you are comfortable with & works without to much effort!

Keep at it you will get there-Are there any magicians you know locally to help etc

-Brent
quinten
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of quinten
I have the same fear but usually when I start I use a little effect tha I can do in my sleep to get started and to gain confidence in myself.
then I can go on with more difficult things.
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Please let us hear a good report from you sunday, lol! We want good news! Think of it as this: You're not doing magic for you, you're doing it for god, so that people will hear and see his word. so see it as a ministry for jesus, and you will have the extra confidence to do it. good luck!
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
I am a member of my local IBM and have only performed for the onem time. That was about as nerve racking as having to give a sermon in front of 150 other ministers back in Bible College.

There has been a lot of good advice posted here and I thank you all.

Allan
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
I got another idea. If you are afraid that you will come off as a show off, this might help.

I have been to many sermons where props were included in the message. This really gets the attention of the congregation. Include the prop you are going to use in the sermon, and then do the effect. Do the magic as if you didn't expect it to happen, and as if you didn't even notice that it did.

I did this when I taught a teen class for my father's youth group, and everyone loved it. It also made them pay attention for the rest of the lesson, lol. Let us know!
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
Thanks WhiteAngel. I have a few things that I would feel confident about using as an object lesson or an illustration in a message. I will let you know when I do and how it turns out.

Thanks,
Allan
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
Its a lot more nerveracking to perform in front of your local ring than in front of a bunch of laymen.
Pizzazz
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
108 Posts

Profile of Pizzazz
It's ok to by a littlr nervous. I have preformed for 11 years and to this day get a gitter or two at the start of a show! It's somewhat healthy.
May all your days be "magic" days
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
WOW! I'm realy enjoying this topic!!!!!!!!!! I'm not "New to magic", I'm doing magic for about 10 years now. So I have never entered in this topic. I like very much read this opinions about nervous. I'm a little nervous yet, but the difference to the past, is that NOW I CAN CONTROL THIS!!!!!

So I think that experience will teach to you everything you need, to have fun with your magic!

All the best!

Mesquita
"Siempre somos tres me acompaña la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Scared to Perform. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL