The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » New (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I have been doing magic for the past 14 years now as a close-up magician, and have done cabaret acts. However, I am now interested in doing kids magic to add to my collection of experiences. I am aiming myself at 4-9 year olds and was wondering what sorts of effects work for kids this age. I am hoping some of you experienced guys can give me a hand.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Hi, Chris, you thinking of being competition to us?
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Don't be silly, Billy. I could never match yours or Emazdad's standards, but a lot of parents have asked if I do kids shows. I have declined them unfortunately, but I've decided why not give it a go. It's an experience that I will learn from and get to decide whether it is me or not.

Thanks for the again, Billy. Marc brought it round. Hope things are OK with you. Talk to you soon.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I didn't know you started when you were 4 years old.
Remember Chris don't copy any of the stuff you've seen us do in our acts. You need to find your own original routines and style.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
How long have you got before your first show Chris?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Chuds,
Now that everyone has had their little "shot" at you, let's try to answer, in part, at last some of your queries.

Your choice of the 4 to 9 set is a good one, since that's the age that they are most receptive to magic and most interested. (Younger than that, just about everything they see is "magic"; older, they simply look on it as a puzzle to be figured out.)

Remember that their attention spans are not as long as adults' so keep the routines short(ish) and lively.

That age group especially loves exaggerated and colorful props. The more outlandish the better.

Most important -- and many dealers have yet to learn this -- sucker tricks, which are sold by the carload to kids' magicians, should have the sting directed at the performer and NOT at a member of the audience or the whole audience. (They will destroy you if you try this -- and, frankly, I can't blame them!)
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<Now that everyone has had their little "shot" at you, >>

Peter we know Chris, we helped him get into the Plymouth Circle, and he travels there in my car for most meetings. He's used to our banter.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Chuds must be a hearty brave fellow to travel in your car Clive! Smile

What I'd like to know is what you were thanking Billy for, and what Marc (who is Marc?) brought round? All these Devon computer keyboards are the same, the keys are too close together or it's all that clotted cream that gets spilled onto them!

We love Woolacombe by the way. Do you reckon you'd speak to us if we moved in?

Tony.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Woolacoombe miles away and out of our usual operating area, Billy did do a season there a year or so ago, but the money wasn't that good for the distance so he didn't go back. So yeah, I supposed we'd talk to you.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2005-01-20 17:10, Peter Marucci wrote:
Chuds,
Now that everyone has had their little "shot" at you, let's try to answer, in part, at last some of your queries.

'Everyone'????? You mean me and Emazdad, and you think what we've said is having a 'shot' at Chuds!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
No, Billy, but I don't think it was answering a legitimate question, either.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Peter,

Chris's talents lean more to the close-up world rather than kids, he has a lot of potential in that area, and this is where he is happiest. He is a dedicated finger flinger.

We know the only reason Chris, wants to try entertaining kids, is because he's seen our shows and thinks it's easy money. He was at a show I did for a lady he baby sits for, the next thing you know he's talking about doing kids shows.

Chris is a nice lad, who loves his magic, His technical skills are really coming along nicely, he can really handle a pack of cards, however his performance skills don't match his technical abilities, but like all young people he wants to jump straight into the deep end and earn what they think is easy money without learning to swim first.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

I don't see it as easy money, although I can see where you are coming from. Everyone is allowed their own views. Yes I am more equitted to sleight of hand, but as I said with people asking if I do kids shows, there is no reason why I couldn't give it ago. What I meant was I got interested in magic at 4 years old, I didn't mean ive been peforming since I was 4, so that's got that sorted. Clive is a fun person to drive to the circle with, so that's got that sorted, hes a funny man who knows what hes talking about just like Billy. As I said, I don't see it as easy money, ive seen emazdads and billys shows a few times now, and understand how VERY difficult it is to do kids magic, but them, like me have to start somewhere, and again as ive said before, I'm trying to broaden my experience, if I don't try it, I don't know if its me. There is also a magician called Tolley Mac who has told me that kids magic is a good thing to try, and that I would have 'the older brother' type look. As for my performing styles, as with everyone, my performance style is very different of that when I am at the circle to doing a performance. The circle is very laid back, and fun showing and teaching each other things, when I am performing, I concentrate A LOT on giving the best I can, and am getting more and more bookings by word of mouth. Now hopefully that has got a few things clear, could I have some feedback on my original question.

thanks

chris
www.magicman13.co.uk

Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<but as I said with people asking if I do kids shows, there is no reason why I couldn't give it ago. >>>

Yes there is Chris, because when you take a kids show on it's about the kids, not you.

I hope that if you are going to proceed with this that you follow the correct course.

1, Put your act together

2, Do a few freebies for some charities to work the show up. You can tell the person you are new to kids, so they know what they are getting, If you fail at this level at least you wont have an irate booker after you.

3, Then and only then, after you've found whether you have a talent for entertaining kids should you think about taking peoples money.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Well, my first show is for my little sisters birthday party. My mum has just asked if I can entertain the kids with magic and games. I have as you know clive a good sense of humour, and love doing childish things as you know. the fact my mum is a childminder and I am round kids all the time means I understand kids well and have learnt how to control kids as OFSTED had to examine me with kids, so I have a certificate to prove I can handle kids by myself. I know the rules about originality, so there is no problems there, I canthing of loads of games and activities, my balloon modelling skills are not that high a standard, but I can still do things like monkeys, rabbits, mice, dogs, swords, guns, flowers etc, but I can only practice and learn. I know as well with kids that they aren't there to see 8 or 9 tricks, but a few tricks that will keep them entertained and amused, the whole idea is to keep them amused, they don't want the WOW factor, if they did I could come up with something at the end. Just give me a chance
www.magicman13.co.uk

Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Chris,
Since I've known you you've been keen to get out there working, Billy and I have talked to you a few times to slow you down so that you don't run before you can walk. At one point I remember you were even thinking about leaving college. You have a promising career in magic, but you are still young and have lots of time and we wouldn't want you to jump into something which you are not ready for, Our words are not meant to stop you, but make you think, slow down and do it properly.

We know as a teenager you don't always want to listen to what us oldies say, but there are enough rubbish kids entertainers around here as it is, and you don't want to be one of them.

The free show at your sisters party is a good idea, but it will take more than one freebie to gain the experience and hone the show to make it into something you can sell.

As for tricks, Unless you've got lots of money to spend at the dealers, look at what you've got, and see what you can adjust to suit kids, use the computer to enlarge stuff. This will give you the advantage of doing something you are familiar with rather than something you've just learnt.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

I know what you are saying clive and I will not disagree with anything you say as this is your proffession and you know a lot more about it than I do. I see everything you have said bascially as constructive criticsim which is exactly what I need. I hope this post hasnt caused too much problems. I was just curious.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Chris, why don't you give a ring and save my typing finger
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Chris, it was hard enough at first when I started in kids shows at age 28 (WITH a female assistant who was later to become my wife); oh yes, and I'd had a long entertainment background in music before this.

Also think ahead to things like your car insurance. If you are driving now it's costing you an arm and a leg isn't it? You cannot imagine what your insurance company would charge you as an entertainer.

I'd keep going to meetings and seeing people like Billy and Clive, - keep learning, - but just put the reins on yourself a bit!

Tony.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Don't forget your public liability insurence Chris, if something happens during your show and your not insured you can get sued for 1000's. Be Caféful mate.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » New (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL