The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Rings for Dean's Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1782 Posts

Profile of Daren
Can someone advise where I can get slightly smaller rings for Dean's Box? Does anyone else use different rings? If so, please post a link.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Try a tack shop (horse supplies) bring a magnet.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Craft Store like Michael's
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4575 Posts

Profile of Payne
Any Hardware store should carry these. Look where they have ropes and tarps or just ask for where they stock there harness rings.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
I purchased a couple of harness rings just like the ones that Michael Close uses for Dean's Box at my local Home Depot.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1782 Posts

Profile of Daren
Could you post a link to their website, are the rings smaller that the ones dean supplies
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2598 Posts

Profile of John Long
Wal*Mart has 2" & 3"(and larger) golden rings in their crafts section, and cost about 25 - 50c
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Keep Pete Biro’s advice in mind, bring a magnet.

Bob
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Little problem is that in the "real world" it is extremely hard to find rings without the welding-seem. And if there is a welding-seam it will evoke responses and questions and false solutions. I had this with the rings Dean supplies.
It's not that you can't overcome this but it might take the pacing out of your routine if people want to check the rings.
I bought some very nice goldplated rings at a magic convention. They were part of a miniature linking ring-set.
I think it would be very difficult to get such rings in other places than magic stores or conventions, so keep your eye on them if you visit one.
The ring I bought were made in Japan. No idea who the dealer was though.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
euphoria5150
View Profile
Regular user
Russell Jeanneret
110 Posts

Profile of euphoria5150
PM me if anyone is looking for the Deans box original rings. I have a brand new set that I'm parting with.
Theater, cinemas, and literature are all better forums for telling stories or creating drama. Stand-up comedy is better for telling jokes. But magic is unique in creating the Twilight Zone sense of turning a corner and finding yourself on another street, in another town, in another country. Deception is the means to that end. –John Bannon
Philp
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Philp
I have experimented with adapting a wooden curtain ring to use with my Dean's Box. My thoughts were that by using one made out of a contrasting coloured wood, the wooden ring is more visible form a distance. Works fine.

Philip
Magi51
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Magi51
I saw some at Hobby Bench about a year ago. No seams. Lots of sizes.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I use rings with seams all the time. I even call attention to the seam: "You will notice the little seam here. In the metalworking industry, they have a very technical, esoteric term for this: it's called a 'weld'." Gets a laugh, I toss/hand the ring casually to someone as I am introducing the other props and making the rest of my introductory remarks.

I think lay-audiences are every bit as convinced that a magician's seamless ring can come apart as a seamed ring. Some may even be more relaxed about a seamed ring--surely you wouldn't be that obvious, as to have the part where the ring opens be that visible, right?
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Rings for Dean's Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL