The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Opener and Closer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I open my b-day show with a dove production which gets a huge response. I think by having the first effect something that strong that you automatically have their attention and respect. Also, I have learned that by producing a dove as the first trick that the kids are more likely to be quiet and pay attention because they do not want to miss what is next.

My closer is the flying carpet illusion with a doves-to-rabbit routine with it. I dress the b-day child up like a magician (top hat, wand, cape) and have him float in the air. Then I bring the dove back out and have the child turn him into a rabbit. It gets a fantastic reaction every time!
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I open my Birthday show (after setting the rules) with a version of linking ropes with Mom, Dad and the birthday child, where the birthday child makes the ropes link together. I then go into a Gene Anderson paper tear.

I end my show with Hippity Hop Astronauts, which allows me to end the show with a real 'AWWWW' moment, due to my patter.

After the 'official' show ends, I make some extra balloons for the birthday child and then give out rocket mice to everyone else at the party and lead everyone in yelling "Happy Birthday....whoever" and shooting the mice into the air.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
I open with blooming flowers and end with Cardographic, or Pro Viper II.
fredpaulbailey
View Profile
New user
Fred
51 Posts

Profile of fredpaulbailey
I open with (after the "favors" are went over) a small production act set to really up-beat music: I do the Phantom Tube and produce a small blast of fire followed by about 12 multi-colored silks, a two-ring Linking Ring routine, 20th Century Silks (I pull a kid from the front row to hold the glass, or I drape the two tied silks behind his neck and use an Appearing Cane to vanish the rainbow silk), 4-Square Blendo, Stage Size Square Circle to produce 10 36" tie-died silks/an 8-foot Magic Wand and 4 five-bloom feather flower bouquets and a botania tube then finish with a beautiful botania production.

It is a fast paced, colorful routine that keeps their attention. It also sets the tone that I am a Pro and adds integrity in the adults eyes. I have never had a problem using the musical opening, and it's great for me to have a few minutes to get over any stage fright feeling I may have.

I end with Snowstorm in China with my original patter that mozmorizes the kids and makes the Mom's want to cry!

Oh, yeah, I ALWAYS ask the client if it is OK to use fire and confetti in the show. I have never had anyone tell me no!

Hope these ideas help. Keep us informed as to your progress.
SanCho14jfm
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
244 Posts

Profile of SanCho14jfm
As of now I've gotten some great idea's thanks to most of you. I think that I want to keep doing 20th Century Silks as an opener but put more "ummph" into it, more "magic" into it. I really Peter's earlier suggestion of using Misers Dream in the show. I think that would be a great closer and so I'm going to start working on that to close the show. Again thank you everyone! Any more ideas would also be appreciated!
-SanCho
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Rather than open with an effect, I open with a bit of patter to establish character and a couple of gags. They have very little to do with magic, but they establish a good mood and a relationship with the audience. I then go into the groundrules for a minute and the magic starts. I do a pirate themed act and it ends with the opening of a treasure box of sweets and treasure bag of balloons swords and making the little ones honourary members of the crew. To me a give away is a great way to end.

A little corny, but I've heaps of bookings.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
I intro with a 7 minute music that includes productions and transformations. It draws their attention. At the end I do the bake some candy with a dove pan. I dress the guest up in a chef hat and of course an overally sized apron and we make candy, but not only does candy appear as well as a large 36 inch THANK YOU silk to display that I am done with the show. All the kids then get the candy... Well that's my meat and potatoes of my show..Later
Jonty the Magician
View Profile
New user
West Yorkshire UK
73 Posts

Profile of Jonty the Magician
I open with this bit of corny business - I introduce myself as 'Jonty the Window Cleaner' and tell them I've come to clean the windows. This gets an instant uproar because Jonty the Magician is written on the front of my roll on table and, of course, they all know I'm there to do magic. I then tell them I've got it wrong, that I'm Jonty the MAGICIAN and I've come to clean the windows. More uproar! By this time they're shouting 'NO! You've come to do magic!' I say 'What, someones come here to do magic? I love magic!' and then go and sit in the middle of the kids to wait for the supposed magician! This causes pandemonium! Eventually I get up and say 'Well, if I'm the magician then I need a magic wand' and this leads nicely into George Blakes Silver Sceptre as the first item. Kids love it when you make yourself look a bit silly. I tend to finish with a bunny production. Once the kids have seen the bunny, there's no way I could get them to sit quietly again for more tricks!
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Hello Jonty, welcome to the Café,
Very nice opener, great to see someone sharing an intelligent and workable opener rather than just recomending some trick.
Silver Sceptre is a great opener. I usually use an adaption of Roy Baker's Yell up after I warm up to get everything going but in my second show the first trick I do is the Sceptre. What I don't like about the Sceptre is it's very unadaptable. It's one magical gag replayed in different ways. Works though.
George
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Hi Johnny,
That is very nice opener. I tell the kids I'm a magician and at the end they always say, I thought you were a magician. Just kidding. I have a feeling we've met, your charactiture looks familiar.

Matt
Jonty the Magician
View Profile
New user
West Yorkshire UK
73 Posts

Profile of Jonty the Magician
Hi Matt
We could have met at some point. I'm a member of Bradford Magic Circle and I frequent magic conventions, so who knows... You sound like you have plenty of experience in the magic business, what are your favourite openers and closers?
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
I used to use the silver scepter but it broke. The little plastic rising wands last longer. I use it first for "The Genie of the Rice" (Clown Magic David Ginn) and then say, "someone told me that if the genie touches something it becomes magic" (wand rises but I don't see it) You get the picture.. a great "look, don't see" routine. I end up in competition with the wand because it's MY SHOW. Finally I tell the wand "if you're so smart, try jumping up in the air, you can't do that can you... " it does.

Drat. Now I've given away one of my original routines.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Don't worry though Tom, I won't be telling you I'll be using it. I had a chance to buy one of those when I was in Austrlia last year and passed on it, as I'd never seen one before and didn't see how I could use one. DUH, stupid me!

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Opener and Closer (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL