The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is magician´s guilt? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Someone mentioned magician´s guilt. I think I know what it is, but I´m not completely sure. Can you give me a good definition?

Mikael
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Magician's guilt is when you are "dirty," for instance, palming a card, so you become nervous and start moving quickly because you're afraid you'll get caught. Your speech suddenly changes because you're aware of something secret and hidden, and you fear detection, hence the term "guilt."
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Magician's guilt is evidenced when you blink while doing the "secret" move.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
In the world of mentalism "Magician's Guilt" typically related to performing and creating one's performances "as a magician would." This includes the application of overly stated disclaimers and NOT taking credit or advantage of circumstance.

In short, the old way of thinking for mentalism is that there is no extreme of low to which we will not stoop so as to pull off whatever it is we seek to accomplish. We are, by trade preference, con-artists that must be able to function with a straight face when and where possible. This is not to say we are not here to "ENTERTAIN" but rather, we are obliged to exploit situations and use EVERYTHING to our advantage.

The "Guilt" comes from all those bleeding heart types that not only feel guilty, but impose guilt (or reason for guilt) onto those that walk the tighter end of said tight-rope. Essentially it comes back to the difference between those that do "Mental Magic" and "Mentalism"

Yes, much of what's been expressed can fall into this category... all of us blink at one point or another Smile But, to my understanding of what's been shared by others (long ago, in a land not so far away...) this is what was being inferred.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
My take on magician's guilt is slightly different. It's running when no one is chasing. An exaggerrated example is, "I have here an ordinary pad and pencil" What other kind are there?

Another example is the ventiloquist who became a spirit medium, using his skills to create the illusion of spirit voices. And then doing it while drinking a glass of water

from
Ford
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-09-16 14:15, fordkross wrote:
My take on magician's guilt is slightly different. It's running when no one is chasing. An exaggerrated example is, "I have here an ordinary pad and penci;" What other kind are there,
Another example is the ventiloquist who became a spirit medium. Using his skills to create the illusion of spirit voices. And then doing it while drinking a glass of water

from
Ford
Smile

That's funny!
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
291 Posts

Profile of asmayly
The kind of "magician's guilt" I'm familiar with is living with the illusion that you in fact possess powers that you demonstrate on stage.

You say you can know the future (and you do a headline prediction) and your audience BELIEVES you actually can.

If you say it is an illusion, people will only be impressed so much because they now know it's a trick.

You tell them it's for real (or are evasive about the whole thing or you give a psuedo-scientific explanation) and you are in "effect" telling them a big, fat lie (that's entertaining and provactive!)

This guilt occurs with mentalists more (because their "abilities" look more "psychic" and therefore "plausible"), but I understand magicians can feel this way, too.

-Asmayly
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
Ford, now that is a funny one!

Asmayly, I don't see where the guilt is in your description. Believing you have powers is not guilt.

Maybe what you refer to is: Start by having the audience believe you have powers and then feeling guilty about it.

While the above is guilt, it's not "exactly" what is meant by magician's guilt.

As I understand, in all shapes and forms, magician's guilt is the name given to a specfic motivator of self-defeating actions/attitudes in the course of a performance. This includes the mentioned guilt-look while palming, the "look my hands are empty/this is an ordinary pad" speech, and a reiterated/exagerated disclaimer.

Magician's guilt is the trigger or motivator but not the action itself.

-Alain Bellon
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
When it comes to magicians and guilty I think of how some magicians don't know when it is time to stop.
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Magician's Guilt: not telling your wife how much money you REALLY spend on books/materials.

Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-09-18 11:12, Jim Reynolds wrote:
Magician's Guilt: not telling your wife how much money you REALLY spend on books/materials.

Smile

O.k. That's dang close! To tell her would be suicide Smile
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
i see!! so that's why i shake like crazy whenever i accomplish a watch steal(altho it has nothing to do with mentalism). i found it rather weird.you know, the way i shook 1 minute after i hand the watch back and continue with my next routine.
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
sandman690
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of sandman690
To me it is also the fear of looking too real and as a result, in psychic entertainment, the performer possibly breaking character. It is the mentalist that has a hard time getting beyond some people leaving his show and thinking that some paranormal events may have just been witnessed.

Stan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is magician´s guilt? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL