The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Looking For a Shoelace/Key Ring Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
222 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Hi... I was doing a renaissance festival in Minneapolis a couple of years ago and I went to a private party with some of the performers. I was talking with Arsen from Paris (sorry about the spelling) and he showed me a quick, but very nice trick with a shoelace and a key ring. It penetrated on and off a couple of times and was very clean.

It uses a shoelace gaffed with a magnet. He told me that it was made in France, but Tannen's had a knock off that wasn't as good. Maybe they have manufacturing rights, not sure.

In any case I'm trying to track one down. I don't know the name of it or the manufacture. If anyone has any information about it, drop me a post or a PM.

Thanks in advance.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
euphoria5150
View Profile
Regular user
Russell Jeanneret
110 Posts

Profile of euphoria5150
MAK Magic from Columbus, OH makes 'Swing 'a' ring', which is, what Tannen calls 'Ring and String trick'. I have a video tape of a full 5 phase routine that Tannens produced. I would be willing to trade for one of your tapes; send it to you via Postal mail.

The other effect Jay Sankey created call 'Leaving Home' that is deal with a key and string. It uses ungimmicked items, but looks great! Are you sure he wasnt using this? It uses 2 keys, but looks great.
Theater, cinemas, and literature are all better forums for telling stories or creating drama. Stand-up comedy is better for telling jokes. But magic is unique in creating the Twilight Zone sense of turning a corner and finding yourself on another street, in another town, in another country. Deception is the means to that end. –John Bannon
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Also check out Just A Key, from Porper.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
222 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Russell, This little gem was definitely a gaffed shoelace with a magnet. The key ring was a single spiral type ring with a couple of keys on it. Short, sweet, visual.

Pete, do you have contact information for Porper?
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Would LOVE to check out the Porper stuff, but I have a morgage...

I got a chance to see a set of his cups at PCAM this year and OH MY GOD! what a beautiful set.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Porper/Biro gaffed key, "Just a Key" is not that much $$$ -- look at http://www.stevensmagic.com or http://www.hocus-pocus.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I finally purchased Just A Key and it arrived two days ago .

I've been working with and I like it a lot . Highly recommended .

-------

Pete, btw, I have one little beef you could pass along to Joe Porper: how come it's exposed on Porper's web site ? I know that magicians are curious to see what they're getting , but I think the hint about "it's the Brema Nut principle built in to a key" featured in all the advertising is enough to tell the guys what they're getting . Showing an exposed view photo of the actual gaff on a web site isn't necessary is it ? These days everything gets archived/cached by Google and other search engines. It's unlikely , but not impossible that folks who ought not to even be aware about the existence of such things (the Just a Key gaff or a Locking Key ring , etc. ) could find these photos.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The ring off showlace effect that Tannen carried many years ago was created by the late Bob McAllister. I wasn't aware it was copied from anyone else.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Hey, Paul, you may want to check out Ring-Scape by Fantasma.

Here's the link:

I have had these for two years and have had no problems with the shoelaces unlike the one I bought from Tannen's (Soft Shoelace). By the way, you get two shoelaces with Ring-Scape which allows for free choice of shoelaces and additional routining.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
That's odd. I have exactly what Paul is describing. But, when I dug back into my papers, I found that, in this case, it was called Ring...Off. Furthermore, it doesn't say who created it, manufactured it, or sold it. It must have been yet another royal Knock...Off.
Nicholas
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
314 Posts

Profile of A.J.
Bro Paul,
Contact Steven's Magic...the specific effect you are asking about came from France...I think the magician is named Mayol, but I'm not positive on that. He was at Steven's both at the World Magic Seminar in Las Vegas several years ago selling this item.

A.J.
Tanner
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Tanner
I had a similar trick, but with a normal length of rope and a large metal ring...perhaps it was another knockoff?

T.
timofy
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of timofy
How about on foot by richard sanders
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
You could adapt the rink on string routine on Dan Turcotte's youdomagic.com
It has 3 phases that look great and are fun to perform.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
mb5191
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of mb5191
I have succeded in making my own. You have to get hold of a strong Rare earth magnet and hollow string. PM me if you need any instructions. You can also get the ring at A.C Moore or any crafts shop. If you succede in making it you WILL save $$$$.]

Magical Max
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
222 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Thanks A.J.

I am contacting Stevens as we speak and I'm waiting for a reply. I'll let you know where this leads. I think you have the answer at this point.

It was a very nice and visual effect and the ring was a set of keys with a small spiral key ring.

I'll post a reply when I hear back from Stevens. Once again thanks for the help.

Here is the response from Mark Stevens:

Yes, it's a great effect. The best ones we got were from Paris... Henry Mayoral's. Unfortunately, we don't have it anymore... However, there is a cheaper version called, "SWING A RING" For about $15, available elsewhere I'm sure.

Thanks for checking
Mark Stevens
http://www.stevensmagic.com
----------------------------------------------

So the lost is found... It is available under that name from you dealers if you want to take a look at it it is at: http://www.makmagic.com/Sections/product......891#disp

Thanks for all your help and if you decide to do this it looks great with a spiral ring with a couple of car keys on it.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Looking For a Shoelace/Key Ring Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL