The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Daryl -vs- Allan grudgematch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
re: the subject - not really, I don't want to get anyone fired up Smile

This is more of a curiosity question. I'm sure most everyone here knows that Allan Ackerman and Daryl...err..Daryl both have encyclopedic video series for learning sleights.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Allan and I can testify to his AMAZING prowess with a deck of cards. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Daryl yet. I was wondering if anyone has both sets or at least two volumes that cover the same types of things and could compare them.

If not I believe I will do just that. Buy one volume of Allan's and one of Daryl's (false deals for instance) compare them and post my thoughts. (And probably sell whichever one lost in my mind which will still be a good deal for someone else I'm sure Smile)

-Dan
brownitus
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of brownitus
Dan,

I do not own any of Daryl's EOCS videos, but I do have Allan's ACCS Volume 2: False Deals, and I can say that he is not only extremely skilled and knowledgeable, but emanating from him is clearly the feeling that he really wants you to learn what he's teaching. He's also a VERY happy guy! Never seen a man smile so much Smile

Take care,
Bobby.
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." - Charles H. Duell, US Commissioner of Patents, 1899
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
(Daryl's last name is Martinez...)

I have both. They are different. Allan takes fewer sleights and explains them more thoroughly. Daryl runs through the items faster, but there are more of them. If you are fairly new to card magic, the more intensive explanations from Allan will probably be more valuable to you. If you are already fairly well-versed, or if you have a good-sized library and want to see how a sleight you come across should look, Daryl's is probably better. Allan's probably teaches more actual effects.

Both are excellent and worth having in your library. Both Allan and Daryl are EXCELLENT performers AND teachers. they are also both extremely nice guys!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
I have both sets. They are different enough that I have never felt like I should have one and not the other. If this is just about false dealing, Ackerman's the way to go.

Jim
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
Quote:
If this is just about false dealing, Ackerman's the way to go.

Actually that was just an example, I hate false deals Smile They are kind of a necessary evil in my mind. I appreciate the responses. I think I may just go ahead and get a volume of each anyway to see whether I need Allan's more thorough expanations or if I can get by with Daryl's faster versions (according to Scott) an obvious bonus point goes to Daryl because I can get his on DVD....

-Dan
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have some of Ackerman´s videos and they helped me to learn the some "real" work. I have several books about moves but its very hard to learn it in a theoretical way. Video is very visuell and a great way to learn this card stuff. Today I can do a very nice second deal, thanks to Allans videos.
Its extremely useful with a good second deal. You can do very good card forces with that deal.
I saw Daryl at a convention in sweden some years ago and he was a brilliant card expert with a nice presentation style.
techneeqs
View Profile
Regular user
Ontario, Canada
105 Posts

Profile of techneeqs
This is a great topic. If I have the 8 DVDs on card sleights by daryl would anyone recomend getting anything by Allan also? Or does daryl cover everything thought his 8 volumes?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Allan teaches his varied handlings on many of the moves, and there are things on his tapes that are not on Daryl's See my post above.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Well...I fell asleep during an Ackerman tape, it was soooooooooo dull. I stayed awake for several of the Daryl videos -- they were entertaining. If I can't stay awake during a video, I sell it at the next magic auction.
john blaze
View Profile
New user
PA
82 Posts

Profile of john blaze
Kaufman's BASIC CARD TECHNIQUE
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
Darl has more high energy teaching than Allan but I thnk you get more real info off the Akermann tapes.I have both complete sets and I feel I learned more from the Akkermann tapes.Hope that helps. Smile
Bwals
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Bwals
Ackerman is the best. His center deal shows that it is cool but impossible. If he can't do it noone can.
Perfect practice makes perfect
magicbear
View Profile
New user
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
70 Posts

Profile of magicbear
I have volumes three through eight of Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights that I purchased directly from Daryl at the LVMI earlier this year. I like them so much that when I save up the dough, I will get the other three. I am a beginner in card magic and I have found the sleights easy to understand and learn from the DVD. I have not seen the Ackerman tapes. Scott says Daryl is faster. Maybe, but he certainly does not rush through the sleights. He does get right to the point, first demonstrating the sleight at performance speed and then slowing it down, often reversing a card so it is easier to follow and going through the sleight several times. I find DVD's in general most helpful because you can watch a certain action over and over without having to rewind. Daryl, in person, is a very friendly, outgoing guy who is extremely skillful with great enthusiasm for his craft and sharing it with others. This comes across on his DVD's, too. I like to buy direct when possible and Daryl has a good deal when you buy four or more DVD's at http://www.foolerdoolers.com/store/products.asp?category=80.
Give yourself a great Christmas present.

Happy Holidays,
Hugh
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I think if you have all 8 Darl tapes, your good to go!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Daryl -vs- Allan grudgematch (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL