The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Whats the best way to.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
768 Posts

Profile of London
I have always wanted to do a Q and A type act. I am not looking for any methods I am curious as to how you rehearse something like that in order to gain the nerve for a live show. For the sake of example I mean using a method such as Dunningers or Kreskins. I will not explain their methods here but many of you will know what I mean. Not pre-show work. Gain the info in front of them using the type methods I mentioned above. I am really trying to find the right way to get the nerve and self assurance to do it in front of a large audience.
THOUGHTfully,
London
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
London, I don't want to seem cliche here but the simple answer is just do it!
If that dosent work for you, then may I suggest that you get a friend and a video camera and roll some film with you standing in the onstage shot and the camera placed in the audience view position (as the eyes of the audience if you will). Now have your friend hand you the slips as you do what you need to do as if you were performing it live. Watch the video and if you cannot see the moves then rest assured nobody else will and this should give you the confidence that your performing the routine in a convincing manner. Next,... Just go out and do it! Hope this is helpfull.
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
768 Posts

Profile of London
Thanks Sebastian,
I was actually expecting to hear that from at least one. It is probably the right answer. Annemann had a good approach to getting nerve. Jay Marshall said "with the right mixure of gin and panic" he was amazing.
But serious thanks and I am sure you are right. That has always been the problem with some mentalism effects and routines. There is really no way to practice without perfoming.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
The way I prepared for mine was to ensure I knew how it fitted into the rest of my act. How to contextualise (sp?) it and the likes. I wanted to have a firm grip on what happened either side of iot as well as whether to put another effect right in the middle of the Q&A.

I hope this helps,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
768 Posts

Profile of London
Thanks Kennedy , it does help.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Well, if you don't want to go out cold, I'd suggest doing readings one-on-one for a couple of months, then progressing onto doing readings with small groups... then larger ones (if you find a health food or healthy lifestyle or new age fair, it shouldn't be a problem). What you're doing here is learning how to create multiple layers of meaning in what you're talking about--a skill mastered by all cold readers.

You'll find doing the traditional Q&A is a step backward from this, but it'll be really easy from that point.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
London, you have to remember also that Annemann's severe stage fright helped his believeability also. I have read that the audience believed in the mental effort it took to perform his act in great part because of his extreme sweating. This, in turn, had been produced by the panic.

Or so I have read.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
506 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
I think you should probably take a look at some of the John Riggs manuscripts on the subject. One is called The Complete Fortune Teller and the other is the Even Completer Fortune Teller.

Curt.
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
green4magic
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of green4magic
Procyonrising's idea of doing readings for ever enlargening groups is the way I started doing readings. I call it LIVE PRACTICE.
Once I started working on a system I would just go out to a bar, order a non-alcoholic drink at the bar and start up conversations and start doing readings. I have used cold reading systems, billet work, CT and Peek work on patrons.
You rapidly learn what works and what doesn't and it also gives you an opportunity to study peoples reactions up close. This is a great learning experience for you on many different levels at once. Try it.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
I am with Curt, Riggs, had a good manuscript.

Also scripting the thing out helps also. As does acting lessons.
And learing character devlopment.

Cheers

Jack
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Whats the best way to.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL