The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » It Cost Too Much ? Opinion Poll (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
When I read some of the responses with regard to the pricing of offerings to the mentalism community as being too high or overpriced or any such opinions, I wonder how one arrives at the conclusion of IT COSTS TOO MUCH ?
If you consider the fee that a professional mentalist earns for a one hour performance and then factor in the time and travel invested in locating the proper materials to create an original effect plus the hours of trial and error spent on making prototypes until you get it just right and last but not least the added value of the fact that he is sharing a much toiled over secret with you, without which most prop heavy performers would not have a show, I can only come to one logical conclusion which is,.. Any usable offering which you add to your repetoire and use regularly is really invaluable. What's your opinion ?
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
chicagoman
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of chicagoman
I think the key is "Any usable offering which you add to your repetoire and use regularly".

I'm sure no one thinks it's overpriced under those conditions. It's when it's unusable that there's an issue.

Of course I've read effects in books that I thought unusable, and then years later discovered they were. Also, some effects are better suited for certain performers because of style or skill than others. So the "usablility" question isn't always objective.

But having said that, I think some products are over-priced when the producer knows full well the result is not easily attainable. Interestingly, those less obtainable type of effects are usually more expensive! I'll give the abbreviations of one such author--if you can figure it out then you most likely agree to some extent: L.J.

CM
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Well, you may be right when it comes to those little gems, made of fine materials, using new ideas and methods. The ads show the effect in reality and not only somethang that looks good in the video. Oh, and whe nthey say ´"It´s easy" then it´s easy.

But what ybout all that crap on the market, which does not work properly, is made from cheap materials, no new ideas, only a good presentation in the ads????

The problem is: the gems are hard to find!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
back in the USA, FINALLY!!
159 Posts

Profile of art the magic guy!
Totally agree!! I believe out of the last 10 purchases that I made in the last few years the only 2 good things that I got was Osterlind's ETMMM dvd set and a new ESP deck! Smile

if there could be an actual measure or test by wich all magic effects that are sold have to go through and only the good ones make the cut..then yea, money is money.

one figures, most of the items that we buy in the commercial world have to pass through some tests and actual regulations to make it to the market, and they actually do describe more accurately what they are selling-- Smile

that's why when I want a new item, I try my best to go to a friend that already has that item or to a good magic shop to actually see it done. been burned way too many times by junk to believe the writing unless it is a dvd or video.
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will ALWAYS place the mission first
I will NEVER accept defeat
I will NEVER quit
I will NEVER leave a fallen comrade
----I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER----
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I think it depends on how you view your Mentalism. For me this stuff is not just a job. It is a hobby and passion. So it is no more expensive than many other collectable type hobbies I wouldnt have thought.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
It seems to go every way, first you have great resources and material that to me seems underpriced, then you have terrible stuff that is over priced. The only way out of the trap of buying what costs too much is only to know aht you want in the first place. For example, if I want an effect to make it look like I have raised the dead, I will look for something that comes close assuming I do not already have simular methods, or I might turn a magic effect into a mentalism effect of the same nature. Problems only occured to me in the early days when I was attracted by hype.There is often a differance between what you buy for practical use and what you buy for fun.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Quote:
On 2005-01-22 14:26, Sebastian Black wrote:
When I read some of the responses with regard to the pricing of offerings to the mentalism community as being too high or overpriced or any such opinions, I wonder how one arrives at the conclusion of IT COSTS TOO MUCH ?
If you consider the fee that a professional mentalist earns for a one hour performance and then factor in the time and travel invested in locating the proper materials to create an original effect plus the hours of trial and error spent on making prototypes until you get it just right and last but not least the added value of the fact that he is sharing a much toiled over secret with you, without which most prop heavy performers would not have a show, I can only come to one logical conclusion which is,.. Any usable offering which you add to your repetoire and use regularly is really invaluable. What's your opinion ?

It probably is invaluable to the working performer; however, (1) many, many people who buy DVD's are hobbyists and (2) the product's price is determined by the product's market. If a lot of people feel the product is expensive, then it's expensive to a lot of people--irrespective of the content. The feeling of "it was worth my money because I got one good idea out of it" is an after-purchase coping mechanism. It is the responsibility of the distributor to determine a price point where the creator and interested public will both be satisfied (largely) by what it brings.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
' The feeling of "it was worth my money because I got one good idea out of it" is an after-purchase coping mechanism. -Procyonrising'
Well observed and nicely put,
LOL
TJ
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
529 Posts

Profile of sludge
It depends if your purchases suit your needs, wants and desires. I could buy a book for $100 and one paragraph of content could make me glad I bought the book.

Some releases are to me very under-priced, particularly good books/booklets; others to me always seem over-priced (for example e-books).
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Pyro is right some times in the coping mecanics thing, but I have often bought items "before" aimed at one idea. This is especially true where a prop is concerned.
I have bought items before hand well knowing the very thing I wanted from them to add to my presentation.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Considering you can go into a typical office supplies shop and purchase the items necessary for many different shows, then you can't really say it's too expensive.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
In Mentalism & Magic, Uniqueness should come into play. You can buy a Bill in Lemon effect for .99 cents. You can buy a Bill in Lemon effect for $350. Result of both? A Bill winds up in a Lemon. If everybody and their uncle is revealing Bills in Lemons what is the value of that effect's result to you? To those who have the money, and work big shows, $350 will be no big deal. To those who don't have the money laying around to 'invest' can do just fine with the .99 cent version on ebay, the more expensive version obviously costing 'too much'.

Missing Links point is well taken...most of a mental act uses inexpensive office supply stuff. But those Books and DVDs can eat your lunch AND dinner. That's why the Café is so important to me...find those you trust and have the good words and stay away from the junk as best you can. Consider the uniqueness of the result or the props or the routine...if there are (and there usually are) other ways to accomplish the same thing...well...there ya go.
All the junk in my drawer, I guess I paid too much. The stuff in my working box ...priceless. When I look at that junk drawer, in almost every case, I should have known better...that it was not for me...some stuff I bought just to see how it worked but the price matched the curiosity factor.
Win some lose some...TRADE the rest!

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
I think the fact that there may be so much stuff about and think o I must have that.you get it and find it the same principle as an effect youve allready got.so I usually stay with books, and get a reveiw of it first.unless its a must have anyway.ive bought some gimmiks of late that were really of no use.so from now on I stick to books and make my own devices
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » It Cost Too Much ? Opinion Poll (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL