The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching a magic class (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I have seen several posts lately about teaching magic to kids. I have a set of 7 video tapes that have a wealth of information that's just perfect for kids. It's by a guy named Joe Fields (I never heard of him, either) and each tape teaches 4 tricks to kids. Some of the stuff is actually pretty good, and might even find their way into your show.

In any case, I'm listing them at the videos for sale area, but I thought you guys might want a heads up.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Thanks! I iwll look into this as I have considered doing a magic class this summer as something after the magic show at youth camps.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
UPDATE: I can't count. It's 8 videos!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Yes, teach magic but do not teach the kids tricks they can not do.

Teach them self-working things or simply things. Do not teach them double lifts and Elemsly counts or gimmicked coins etc. Far too many magicians do this.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Actually, this has some cool stuff that kids will like but not "spill" important secrets. Fun "build your own maigc" type stuff, props, and some basic thoery (like square cricle.) Who said anything about counts and gimicked coins?

I've been teaching kids magic for almost 15 years now, I have a pretty good idea of what works. Ya gotta give them a few legitimate tricks. What's the point of "teaching" if you're just gonna fill their heads with useless stuff?
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
It is not useless stuff. You are using it. .WINK.. What I meant is that many magicians teach things that the majority of the kids will never be able to do.

I think palming, sleights, and counts and math magic items, and memory tricks are great magic tricks to teach to a non-magician.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I teach kids of the 8-10 age the old "think of a number" trick, where they think of a number from 1-63, and numbers are printed "randomly" on 6 cards. The secret requires addition of numbers in your head. I always thought it was a snooze, but the kids are amazed when I tell them their number, so ... who knows? Maybe we'll even increase their math skills!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching a magic class (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL