The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mouth/Body Coils (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicsarge
View Profile
New user
Northamptonshire, Great Britain
79 Posts

Profile of magicsarge
Hi again, how are you all? I'm thinking about adding a little mouth or body coil work into my act, I've never brought these before so am unfamiliar with the various makes that are out there.
I would like a multicolored type. Any advice on brand/type that are best to use, kind of size I should buy, or any tips on use would be appreciated. Also while we're on the subject how about hand streamers, any thoughts.
ps. I am based in the UK, but have no adversions to buying these from the States. Thanks all fellow magicians
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
How are you planning to use these?
My EXTREME aversion to mouth coild (or anything from a bodily orifice) is well known and this issue has been covered frequently on the Café.
I use mouth coils in my act (but I don't pull them from my mouth!) and I make my own; that way I can get the colors and lengths that I want.
If you are interested, PM me and I'll send you the info.
But do it quickly; I'm out of the country on tour in a couple of days.
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
I use the jumbo David Cresey ones. These are the only ones I like, they are longer than most and well made. You can buy them in the UK, from at least one of the internet dealers.

Phil
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
I always use Dave Cressey, but one time one coil broke like five times when I was pulling it out.

Ben
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
Magicsarge many fine magi have pulled the coil from mouth but if done for kids please work a public service note on not putting things in thier mouth

I use Cressey mouth coils and throw coils too I know of none others

Topper
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
Can anybody give me suggestions on other presentation for the mouth coil. I have been thinking a money coil from a rolled up dollar bill.

Ben
paulsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of paulsmagic
(with multi color coils) show a strip of tissue paper (wrapping kind) between left hand and right hand. ask if the audience has ever seen a magician rip a piece of paper in pieces and turn it into a whole piece of paper. tell the audience that you have performed this effect so many times that you will eat the paper if you don't suceed the first time. (good for a kids show or drunk adults). rip the paper in half then in quarters, roll the papers together, say a magic word and show four different pieces of paper. ask for another chance. say a different magic word and again show four pieces of paper. tell them you have to keep your word and have the pieces to your mouth start pulling the colored streamers out of your mouth.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I do the magic colouring book for the little kids, then when it comes to colouring in the picturesd I tell them to throw the colours at the book, then pretend that they threww colours in my mouth. Then I pull out the colours from my mouth. They absolutely love this! just be sure not to let the kids get their hands on the coils, because they will ALWAYS tear them into little itty bitty pieces, making a huge mess.
I use the 46 ft Cresey mouth coils.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
djolskool
View Profile
New user
Helena, MT
19 Posts

Profile of djolskool
Hocus Pocus Magic has a new product called Bubble Gum Coils. The idea being a gum stretching contest at a kid's show.

Invite the birthday child up to help and hand her a piece of bubble gum. Explain that whoever stretches their gum the longest wins a prize!

You both pop the gum into your mouths and start chewing. You both start to stretch your bubble gum, but yours keeps stretching and stretching until an impossible length of bubble gum has stretched between your hands.

GOOD LUCK!
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
On a related note, now that I made my confetti launcher, what type of streamers will work? It's a small tube -- 3/4" I.D. -- will Cresey throw streamers work?

BTW, if an "entertainer" ever came into MY house and had kids stretching gum that was in their mouths, I'd fire him. Why not have a farting contest while you're at it?
MrMagic1
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MrMagic1
Dave Creasy is my choice also.
magicsarge
View Profile
New user
Northamptonshire, Great Britain
79 Posts

Profile of magicsarge
I have just started using paper coils as a production from my fire can rather than silks, the effect seems bigger as I can load 3 mouth coils into the can and end up with so much stuff on the floor it looks really good.
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
I saw Lance Burton in vegas recently pick the tag from the back of a kid's shirt and continue pulling the tag/streamer - very good idea....
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Cresey throw coils work great in a confetti cannon. In fact, that is pretty much all I use anymore as real confetti is just to hard to clean up.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Is there anyway to contact Dave Cressey?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Email: davecressey@aol.com I believe is his address. I given it several times on the Café, but a search did not turn it up. They must cut off the search engine for only newer searches.
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Alright, thankyou very much!
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
The Bubble Gum coils, available at most dealers, are fantastic. I have used them several times, and found them to be one of the hits of the show. I highly recommend them as a cheap but really entertaining interlude. You tell kids you are going to have a contest to see who can pull the longest, thinnest strand of bubble gum (with yourself or, better, a kid "plant" using the coils). It's a riot if the other kids get started and then your plant effortlessly bests them by yards. Also, I have the kids wipe their hands clean on my Gag Towel (the one with the dirty handprints) before the trick, adding a bonus bit o business which sets a strong comedy tone.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
What a dilemma.
I think that Peter Marucci is absolutely right (always have).
I also think that the bubble gum routine sounds wonderful.

O’ yes, I also think I would not have much fun at a children’s party at Deke Rivers house.

Bob
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Nice thread! I have been looking for throw coils or streamers that would provide a theatrical facsimile of "fire". Lo and behold! http://www.cresey.com magic supplie web site has "Fire" throw coils! Thanks for the info folks.

I know I should probably be asking Cresey web site, but I do not see an info link or contact us tab or anything. Would someone who is familiar be able to tell me? Are there five separate throws per pack for $16? Are instructions included? How long / impressive is a throw? How fast do they unfurl and how fast can I pull them back in? Any tricks or advice on throwing?

Thanks in advance as this could be perfect for replacing one of my pyro gags by insuring more safety, reliability, and it would actually be a little more dramatic by replacing real fire with "dramatic representation" of fire.

Regards,
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mouth/Body Coils (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL