The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marketed Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
I recently purchase an effect (which one is not important for the purposes of this thread) where the audience predicts three things about the contents of a sealed envelope. Now, I wasnt, of course, expecting real ESP, but I was disapointed to see the method explanation basically tell me to force the three peices of information on three different audience members. I basically recieved a cute [argueably] story to accompany a force. I've seen other manuscripts that basically say "Force the information on the spec using your favorite method, and then reveal in the most dramatic way you see fit ... and here is a little patter to go along with it.

Is this pretty much what to expect from marketed mentalism effects in general? How can I avoid this kind of thing ... I mean, oddly enough, some of this stuff gets good reviews on the Café ..

I should mention that I have purchased some really good stuff too ... Im just ranting about the stuff I wasnt pleased with now.

Any thoughts?
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
IMHO, what you should EXPECT from a marketed product is the entire working of the trick/routine that is being sold. If the trick is a card to impossible location and requires a force, it should TEACH a force. It doesn't have to be the Classic Force, but you should be taught one. ow this applies to the magic that is aimed at the beginners. Items that are meant for and marketed to the experienced performers are a different subject. Often these items (unless they are gimmicked items) will include the basics of the trick but will not explain the little things such as forces, switches, and palms. This is because many performers like to add their own touches to these things and the human condition is such that if we are given a set way of doing something, we often stick to that one way. If given a general idea, we come up with our own ways.
Just my two cents.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
" How can I avoid this kind of thing ..."

Buy your stuff from good dealers
espresto
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of espresto
Also, check out The Good, The Bad and The Garbage in this forum - a great place where magicians/mentalists review marketed effects.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marketed Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL