The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kenton Knepper or who else (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

giggalo183
View Profile
New user
new jersey
32 Posts

Profile of giggalo183
I'm thinking of buying some books on cold reading or NLP, but dont know who to go for.
I dont intend on doing mind reading as my act, but I want to use it to know the type of audience I'm dealing with, how to control their actions/thoughts, and to use it to add little verbal/visual subtleties to enhance my Magic. As of now, I've only read one book on cold reading which is "Stage Craft", which I thought was ok, but not enough (although I am new to cold reading, so I don't know if their is more to expect then what I got. I also ordered Kentonism which I should be receiving in a few days.
My question is what is the best book on cold reading and NLP?
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Search for all the discussion on "Cold Reading" and "NLP" on the Magic Cafe, you will find more than you expect.

But if you want to control spec action, and thoughts, in a magic show you may take a look at Banachek "Psychological Subtleties".

Only one advice : If you work deeply your routines, with a lot of "Outs" when everything is going wrong, then you will not really need NLP or Cold Reading but only one thing : Practise.

If you built your routine well, and when you know perfectly your routine, then you can focus all your attention on the presentation and the public reactions. After, you will "jazz" with the public. And you will clearly see how to improve magic in YOUR show. You won't find this in a book. Neither you will find way to "control" everyone if you don't have enought practise (and NLP is and everyday work).

See you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
openatlast
View Profile
New user
Shadow of the Castle
74 Posts

Profile of openatlast
I think that's the beauty of Banachek, Maven & Cassidy's performances. They have worked all the gremlins out of their routines and know the material so thoroughly, they can relax and interact with the audience.

This is lacking in the majority of performers. They just haven't done their homework and are incapable of seeing beyond the effect - where the true entertainment begins.
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
Ian Rowland's Full Facts book on CR is excellent. It will teach you all you need to know!

Tim
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2002-09-16 12:49, openatlast wrote:
I think that's the beauty of Banachek, Maven & Cassidy's performances. They have worked all the gremlins out of their routines and know the material so thoroughly, they can relax and interact with the audience.

This is lacking in the majority of performers. They just haven't done their homework and are incapable of seeing beyond the effect - where the true entertainment begins.

I think that stage when a performer can relax and not worry about the actual mechanics of the effects comes only with being in frot of many audiences on a regular basis. The problem is getting in front of those number of audiences.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Just a little friendly advice. Be prepared to not getting what you want easily. Don't expect that you can buy a book and learn what you want. Be prepared to buy a lot of books, and pick a few useful things here and there, and maybe even discard whole books because they contained nothing of value. Be prepared to spend a lot of money, and a lot of time before you get what you want.

Mikael
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1782 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I would say that the best item for your needs would be the Wonder Words tapes by Kenton. This wonderful series deals not just with linguistic techniques but also gives you valuable information on the different types of people you will encounter and how best to handle them. There is also quite a bit of excellent cold reading material on these tapes. All in all, some magic, some mentalism, some cold reading, some audience/people skills and lots of verbal deceptions.

Regards,

David
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I would echo Bartlewizards thoughts on the Wonder Words set. I have found in my own experiences that they are the best material thus far when it comes to altering spec perceptions or figuring out what type of person they are.

Banachek's Psychological Subtleties also has a few good pearls of info, and I highly recommend the book, but it is not the "be all end all" of this subject. I found that the Psych Subtleties stuff is limited in it's application, but still very useful. Whereas Wonderwords covers a large variety of topics (because it is so many tapes and so much material. It is rather exhaustive.)

These are just my own opinions based on my own experiences.
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kenton Knepper or who else (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL