The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Chicago table magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pipes5780
View Profile
New user
Chicago
7 Posts

Profile of pipes5780
About five or six years ago I had the pleasure of going to a small restrauant in Chicago. They had a magician there who would visit every table and preform probably the best table magic I have ever seen. The restraunat was pretty close to Wrigley field, unfortunatly that is about all I remember of it. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Anyone now the name/status of the place? I would love to visit again, but don't have much to go on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Hi,
You may be thinking of Schuliens which I beleive is now O'Donovan's (2100 W. Irving Park Rd. 773-478-2100)

I just started a blog called http://greaterchicagomagic.blogspot.com/ in an attempt to promote Chicag magicians. There are a couple things on there. Check it out if you get a chance. Also if you learn of any other places, please let me know so I can post it.

Thanks,
Jack
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
pipes5780
View Profile
New user
Chicago
7 Posts

Profile of pipes5780
That's it! I remeber the irving park address now.....Is the magic at Odonavans the same, better, worse then the original Schulians?
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Was that the place Marlo used to hang around?
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I haven't been there since it changed to O'Donovan's. It's definitely on my ToDo list.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Years (and I do mean years) ago, Marlo and the rest of the Round Table would occasionally have dinner and session at Shulien's Restaurant. We would have our corner table in the back.

When Charlie and Ed Shulien ran it and when I first started going there in the early to mid 70's it was a fantastic place. The restaurant had a real style unto its own.

Their mother would come down on Saturday nights and play the glockinspiel (pardon my spelling to any German's reading this) and join the piano player for what seemed like an hour of fund and laughs.

Charlie and Ed carried on where their dad, Matt left off. Doing the same card effects that made their dad famous.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
This is exactly what I'd like to see happen in Chicago once again. We need a haunt. We need a nice little place where us Windy-City magicians can gather together and share ideas. Let's bring back the old days fellow Chicagoans!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
I am a member of mis-directions magic club based out of arlington heights and it really is a great group of guys who range from 12 - 55 years of age. We usually go and hang out at chili's because the younger members can't go to bars. I live on the north side of chicago (old irving park) and would love to have somewhere close to go to. I second reis' idea. Anyone have any suggestions?
Why does coin magic make my head hurt!?!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Jimmy,

Remember those sessions we used to have on Mondays at Mr. C's? Ah for the good old days!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Steve,

Yes, a club that catered to close-up. Monday nights were always fun. I wish I had something like that now.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
SPINE
View Profile
New user
Chicago
87 Posts

Profile of SPINE
I would love to be a part of this.
Card Ruse
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
I'm looking to join the ranks of a Chicago team of Magicians just for conversation, techniques or just have some fun together. I have looked and could not find a club of us local guys. Some of the greats came from Chicago and there isn't a Chicago/Illinois magic club I can find.

I'm willing to be a involved and can put up the magic club's website and details.(Meetings, conventions, shows, ect.) Who else would want to be involved?

If there is one out there and I'm just not seeing it. (don't want to step on anyones magical toes) Please point me into the right direction....otherwise, let's get it started. There is a lot of talent here in Chicago that needs to be united and have some good clean fun.

PM or email me if you are interested.
Sonny@TheVegasBrothers.com

Unite Illinois Magicians!
Sonny Vegas

***I still have my tree house in the back yard if we need a place to meet. haha!
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
Wow now I want to move to Chi town , Great hotdogs , awsome magic .. Home of , Ed Marlo ,Jay Marshall ,Eugene Burger, and the list goes on , we started a couple of great "sub" clubs In magic in our town easy to get going harder to keep afloat , however some Ill. residents are saying they do not know of a local club in Ill., Hope this link is a good start
http://www.magician.org/LocalRings/illinois.htm
I have always admired the enthusiasm the Chicago magish have shown at conventions.
good times
Keet
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
Thanks for the link up Keet!
I plan on attending this one in Chicago....if it's still around..lol
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Chicago table magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL