The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ideas on how to set the rules? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicswan
View Profile
Loyal user
springfield,ma
253 Posts

Profile of magicswan
Here's something that usually helps. "If you kids don't shut up, I'll tell you what I know about Santa Claus!" Works like a charm.
Magicray80
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Magicray80
That's funny!
"And What Not!!!" paisa23 you know what i mean.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<One more thing. Should I send along with my contract a set of "rules, guidelines, or helpful hints" for the parents to follow? And recap it before the show to the parents and do alittle poem for the kids? >>>

I send out my party timetable and tips page, lots of useful advice and particular warnings about Parents spoiling it by talking and toddlers etc. Do they read it, from what happens at the show no they don't.

You can ask them to ask parents that want to talk instead of watch to move to another room, or to keep wandering toddlers on their laps but on the day the booker is to emaressed to tell them to shut up or contro their kid, hence you have to do it yourself, and often they simply ignore you.

I've lost count of the number of times a booker has said, "Don't worry I'll make sure the parents don't spoil the show" only to find the noisest parent is the booker, and it's the birthday kids toddler sibling wandering into the middle of my show..
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
This is how I present my rules...

"Ok, before we begin today's show, I do have a few important rules that I need to go over with you guys... Rule #1 - I need everyone to remain seated where you are during the show. We can't have anyone creeping up to the front because I may feel like doing a little tap dancing at some point and I don't want to step on anyone's fingers or toes. Rule #2 - If I am talking to a volunteer or giving instructions to you guys, everyone should be listening carefully . And the MOST important rule of all, Rule #3, the rule that EVERYONE needs to follow - Rule #3...is to have FUN! And what I mean by that is that if you see something up here that you like and thought was pretty cool, I want you laugh and clap and have a good time. And if you see something up here that you DIDN'T particularly like...I want you to laugh and clap and have a good time...cause it makes me feel good <--(said with a sheepish smile) - ALRIGHT, let's get on with the show..."

It's simple, but it's worked well for me so far.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Raymond -

Here's an older thread for you, packed with great advice: Cafe thread titled... Interruptions.

I forgot to set the rules at a school show yesterday. The audience was so well behaved, they were a little slow to respond (applause). Another benefit of setting the rules is that you teach them the appropriate way you would like them to respond to a live show.

- Donald

P.S. Kyle, are you still using the line "...sitting indian style..." after the conversation on the other thread?
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ideas on how to set the rules? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL